Please enlighten me on lifting axles

thanks for the input once again, i find this topic quite educative. up to this post :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lorry drivers are no different to any other vehicle driver fresh from their test. How many people drive around in cars for years without fully understanding all the equipment fitted to their vehicles? How many don’t know the difference between the headlight and fog light switches, have no idea what the cryptic abbreviations, acronyms or graphics on the buttons mean, and even less idea on when/how to use them correctly?

These things aren’t taught, they are learned by those who want to learn, and who will therefore put in the effort to find out. RTFM is one popular method, asking questions of colleagues is another. This forum is an excellent extension of colleagues where people ask thoughtful questions and others offer their knowledge and wisdom for free. I learn loads from the various threads here, and I’m grateful for those who contribute.

Now, can someone explain what the difference is between a tag axle and a lift axle, or are they the same thing?

I couldn’t agree more that there is a lot of ‘craft’ to the job that can’t be condensed, or even explained and shown in a 4 or 5 day course that a Newbie NEEDS to know!!! That is why I’m so appreciate of your wisdom and posts in this forum, as it’s always educational, without too much wibbling! :wink: I’m sure there are plenty of other Newbies sucking up the knowledge as well, but as I’m the biggest bellend here, I’ll be the one to say thanks! :smiley: Although I would have to mention others like ROG, Tachograph, Muckles etc… (The list goes on!)
Sadly the system is not set up to educate new drivers anymore, as apprenticeships no longer exist. So places like this is forum are invaluable, along with a Newbies ability to ask and learn…

Radar - You and me too mate! :laughing: I pinged the gate off it’s hinges at a small RM depot during my second day in a 26 rigid with a tag.
Funny as when I think about it now, but I wasn’t laughing at the time! :open_mouth:
However I did learn VERY quickly how much it affects tail-swing on hard lock, and not caught anything since…
It also taught me a bit about traction, and having a bit of amusement in the wet! :smiley:

Priest:
thanks for the input once again, i find this topic quite educative. up to this post :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Well done bellend, even I was behaving! :smiley:

ORC:
Now, can someone explain what the difference is between a tag axle and a lift axle, or are they the same thing?

From my understanding, it’s a tag axle if it’s behind the drive axle…
If it’s in front, it’s a lift axle! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Priest:

Well done bellend, even I was behaving! :smiley:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

ORC:

a lift axle is any axle that lifts, a tag is behind the drive axle a mid lift is in front or in the middle of the drive and steer!

Evil8Beezle:

ORC:

Think of it this way, a tag gets dragged along whilst a mid is in the middle!

Mid lift units are great for driving up and down the motorway.

Tag units are better for off tar road driving. More traction and manoeuvrability. But also tend to be more bouncy when on the road.

ORC:

Hi ORC,

No mate, they’re not quite the same thing, although there is such a thing as a tag axle that can be lifted. :laughing:

I’ll try to lift the confusion of terminology by tagging this on the end of the topic. :grimacing:

A tag axle can be thought of as an axle that’s been tagged on as an afterthought. (Behind the drive axle.)
A mid axle is an axle fitted between the front steer axle and the drive axle
A lift axle is any axle that can be lifted. (There are steered and non steered lift axles.)

:bulb: In my experience, a lot of the strange truck-related concepts can be explained by use of Dave’s Ronseal theory…

How long does Ronseal 5 year woodstain last for?
Who makes Ronseal 5 year woodstain?
What is Ronseal 5 year woodstain used for?

In other words, Dave’s Ronseal theory says that if one rearranges the title of something, its purpose or how to operate it can often become clear.

dieseldave:

ORC:

Hi ORC,

No mate, they’re not quite the same thing, although there is such a thing as a tag axle that can be lifted. :laughing:

I’ll try to lift the confusion of terminology by tagging this on the end of the topic. :grimacing:

A tag axle can be thought of as an axle that’s been tagged on as an afterthought. (Behind the drive axle.)
A mid axle is an axle fitted between the front steer axle and the drive axle
A lift axle is any axle that can be lifted. (There are steered and non steered lift axles.)

:bulb: In my experience, a lot of the strange truck-related concepts can be explained by use of Dave’s Ronseal theory…

How long does Ronseal 5 year woodstain last for?
Who makes Ronseal 5 year woodstain?
What is Ronseal 5 year woodstain used for?

In other words, Dave’s Ronseal theory says that if one rearranges the title of something, its purpose or how to operate it can often become clear.

Other woodstains are available! :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:
Other woodstains are available! :open_mouth:

Yes, of course there are, but I stuck to a well known one to explain my theory that it says so on the can.

IIRC, it was Ronseal who first came up with that saying, so I’ve simply adapted it for use as a (slightly) humorous teaching tool. :smiley:

Thanks dieseldave (and others), I am much clearer now.

Although by DD’s description above, a tag axle lifts and therefore fits the description of a lift axle, so they ARE arguably the same (for the bloody-minded :wink: ). However, lift axle is more generic, and the terms mid axle and tag axle are much more specific to their positions in relation to the drive axle.

Extra thanks to happysack for the additional insight into the different effects on driving that mid and tag axles have. So far I have only been a motorway warrior and the bland fleet spec vehicles I’ve encountered have all been mid axles or nothing.

As for the ‘does what it says on the tin’ theory, that’s great until I try to figure out things like “dunnage”. A “dun” is variously a medieval fort, a horse or a grey-brown colour, none of which lead me to the conclusion that it is bits of wood supporting a load. Ho hum…much to learn grasshopper… :confused:

Happy Christmas to all!

ORC:
As for the ‘does what it says on the tin’ theory, that’s great until I try to figure out things like “dunnage”. A “dun” is variously a medieval fort, a horse or a grey-brown colour, none of which lead me to the conclusion that it is bits of wood supporting a load. Ho hum…much to learn grasshopper… :confused:

Hi ORC,

OK mate, that’s a very fair point, but it does work most of the time. :smiley:

This sticky topic might also be of assistance when learning new terminology:

Truckers Ackronyms & Synonyms (Jargon buster) - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

… but the bottom line is that you should always please ask if you’re not sure, cos we’ll always be happy to help. :smiley: