Please can anyone help me find an LGV driver job?

Hi, please could anyone tell me how I can get an LGV C+E or C driving job?
I live in Wigan, Lancashire however I own my own car so travelling to and from the depot and place of work is no problem!
I passed my LGV C test in August 08 followed by my LGV C+E test which I passed in November 2008. Since then with the economy in the UK and Insurance asking for 2 years experience I am struggling to find a Driving job!
I have held a car licence and driven cars for the past 22 years, now I am 41 years old with plenty of experience in driving and road sence I am very frustrated with current truck driver job vacancies,(Its like the chicken and the egg) I cannot find a job due to inexperience in truck driving and cannot gain experience due to not having a driver job!
I took a refresher course a few weeks ago in an articulated Lgv C+E, I am taking a H.I.A.B course this week and start my CPC course within the next two weeks. It seems like I am throwing money away on courses at the moment however I am an enthusiastic and very hard working person who is determined to reach my goal of becoming a full time driver of LGV C+E trucks!
Insurance being my main problem preventing me from starting a new career, can anyone tell me if there is a way I can pay something out of my own pocket towards my driving insurance thus helping me obtain a full time driving job?
I have received my digital tachograph driver card and ready to start work immediately.
If anyone is in a position to offer me a job please email me at nanpa@hotmail.co.uk
Thankyou for taking time to read this,
Kind regards,
Graham.

Have you registered with any agencies yet? There is one in Wigan that was asking for drivers this week.

Oh and welcome to the forum. ROG will be along shortly after his evening nap. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome nanpa :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Well done on passing C & C+E :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies in This Forum have had the same problems as yourself and have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley: - perhaps a reading some of their posts might give you some ideas :bulb:

nanpa:
am taking a H.I.A.B course this week

That might open up a few more options for you depending on what is needed in your area.

nanpa:
start my CPC course within the next two weeks.

You are starting early !! - I assume this is THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC in which case you do not have to spend money on that right now as you have until Sept 2014 to get in those 35 hours.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

You might get 7.5. tonner work from an agency to break your duck.I was where you are several years ago .I broke the stalemate by getting the bus licence. This source of frustration comes up often on the forum here.If haulage firms want to have professional drivers why cant they understand that they are going to have to train them.The training firms get us past a test in an unladen lorry which really is a non skill.So many people my self included have posted stories of B.T.Moments the first time they drove heavy.

This 2 year thing? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We all seem to circumspect it one way or another. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Nanpa…use your’e initiative, lie ,cheat,enhance the truth etc. After all it must be legal, our MP’s have been doing it for years.

nanpa:
Hi, please could anyone tell me how I can get an LGV C+E or C driving job?

Hi nanpa, firstly, welcome to TNUK.

What no-one has mentioned, and I’m actually very surprised about this, is that you could send something like this :-

Graham [enter surname here]

LGV Driver looking for work, C or C+E considered,
have transport so travelling no problem.
C passed 09/08, C+E 11/08. Also have digicard.
Training on HIAB currently.
[telephone and email details here]

into Truck & Driver for thier jobs page. It might not hurt to also put it in your local rag.

Just a thought.

Try to speak to drivers and keep an eye on this forum.

Fire loads of letters off and knock on doors. Our boss prefers to see people and if there is a job available if you look ok the job will be yours.

I was a bus driver and fancied a change and basically lied to get my first job saying I had driven for a company that had recently gone bust (so no references available), worked for 9 months on a six wheeler Brimec on plant and then one of my prospective letters came back from Esso and I got the job. However, that was in 1988 when Esso decided to get rid of the industrial stuff and I was facing being paid off, but that led to other stuff and havent looked back.

Put some references down from the companies that are no longer going anymore?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which agencies are you signed up with fella? Some agencies are starting to get drivers in for the pre Christmas rush. I believe that some contracts like Comet at Skem require you to do a one day induction. As for agencies try Redline Recruitment on 01925419050.

what about the heinz factory near you

if you know any drivers ask if you can go out for a jolly with them
boss may let yuo drive

read the post thats a sticky at the top of list