Plated weight

my vehicle is plated at 34 tons according to the VOSA plate on the door the tax is £1200 the combination of the vehicle is 2 axle unit (Tractor) 3 axle trailor = 5 axles in total , question is this vehicles total gross weight 34 tons or as Fleet manager says 38 tons because it is in tax cat letter E , Any help would be nice .

truckerken:
my vehicle is plated at 34 tons according to the VOSA plate on the door the tax is £1200 the combination of the vehicle is 2 axle unit (Tractor) 3 axle trailor = 5 axles in total , question is this vehicles total gross weight 34 tons or as Fleet manager says 38 tons because it is in tax cat letter E , Any help would be nice .

34 tonnes

The plate gives the maximum GTW for the combination

Going over the max plated weight will land the driver in very hot water

With 5 axles the design weight is likely to be 38 tonnes or more but that is not what the law goes by

truckerken:

Plated at 34 means keep under 34 or its your licence under threat ! But both of you will be in the dock.

Your fleet manager must know his job surely !

Plate will tell you design weight and train weight, dont go over train weight.

That’s just reminded me !

I’ve been driving this wagon for 10 weeks now & I’m still waiting for the Plate. Just emailed the TM to remind him.

When i questioned the lack of Plate on receiving the wagon I was told that its not a problem, it just takes time to be issued from Vosa/ Ministry. (Bet they’re not as slow to issue Fines for defects when they find them !)

Email sent

The question I weas although the vehicle can have a design weight , My question is the actual Vosa plate issued after first test the paper plate attatched to passenger door or passenger area , plate in question has obviously been " Down Plated " to 34 ton from it Max Design weight , the tax on this vehicle is £1200 that puts it in the " E " band of weights , the question is the " Fleet Manager " is saying once the combination is 5 axles it is OK to pull 38 tons my answer or asumed answer is this is not correct , or why have the tax brackets at all , any help or advice would be big help ,any proof to show sait FM would also be great. thanks

truckerken:
The question I weas although the vehicle can have a design weight , My question is the actual Vosa plate issued after first test the paper plate attatched to passenger door or passenger area , plate in question has obviously been " Down Plated " to 34 ton from it Max Design weight , the tax on this vehicle is £1200 that puts it in the " E " band of weights , the question is the " Fleet Manager " is saying once the combination is 5 axles it is OK to pull 38 tons my answer or asumed answer is this is not correct , or why have the tax brackets at all , any help or advice would be big help ,any proof to show sait FM would also be great. thanks

The proof is the VOSA plate

If TM says its not then advise TM to call VOSA who are the authority on this issue

truckerken:
, or why have the tax brackets at all ,

As said go on what the plate says and disregard the taxation band.

Thanks to all , would love to put this fleet manager down just need little bit more assistance.