Plants of crewe

can anyone tell me what happened to a firm called plants of crewe memory not the best but i think they ran a smart/tidy fleet of erf’s with what i thought was a natty paint job made to make the the cabs look wooden,they pulled reefers and the quote on the trailers doors read " plants for haulage and coldstorage "or something like that. any pictures if someone has any would be nice to see. thanks :question:

asus770:
can anyone tell me what happened to a firm called plants of crewe memory not the best but i think they ran a smart/tidy fleet of erf’s with what i thought was a natty paint job made to make the the cabs look wooden,they pulled reefers and the quote on the trailers doors read " plants for haulage and coldstorage "or something like that. any pictures if someone has any would be nice to see. thanks :question:

I remember them well 770.They ran with “Crewe Cold Store” and “the place for all fresh foods” on the sides,mostly if not all ERFs with pseudo wooden cabs and G.Plant illuminated headboard.:laughing: I’m not sure what happened to them but they always looked smart.I had a photo somewhere but can’t find it at the moment.

Hiya…Crewe cold store was Gordon Plant.(famous for the fleet of red ERFs from North Rode)the haulage at Crewe was intended for Gordons son
but that did’nt work(Phillip Plant)so Gordon ran the transport. He was meticulas with his work and its problems.(He had Gardner Engines with not
a oil leak)he got Boalloy to make curtains double skin to keep the tempeture controlable…Theres a 6 wheeler ERF on the show circut (metallic Blue
and orange) thats ex Plants and Jack Chadwick(Elworth)has a ex plants A series ERF unit.Gordon has now passed away but his wife still survives.
theres a mention about Plants on another site I think its on Cheshire hauliers…The woodgrain effect more common on horseboxes was done for Plants
at JH Jennings body builders origanly from Sandbach. I have watched the painter/signwriters do this effect many times as i worked at Jennings.
I think the master of this art was a chap called Harry Huff.I asked him to do my Crash helmet many years ago i thought the cops would love it
a block of wood on your head.
John

Hi boys
As you say John Gordons wife is alive and well and lives at the old Aston yard and Gordon is buried in the garden.There was a couple of old ERFs in the sheds when I was there delivering a mini digger a couple of months ago.

Regards Keith

Bit of a blast from the past, but I remember Plants trucks about.

Hiya…I was droping of something at Plants North rode one time(years ago)i was driving for Harrisons from Stoke. Godon Plant said to me don’t come in this yard again dripping oil(3-4 drips) I said its a bit of a thing with a Gardner engine. he said to me I have a full fleet of Gardner engine lorries and not one of them drip oil.GULP Gordons yard was all white concrete and all his trucks had their own parking bay (numbered)and there was no oil marks.
John.