Plant operators wages

Mate of mine on boat yesterday showed me two txt that had been forwarded to him direct from his mate driving 360/dozer
I think about M11/A14 job.

He’s SE and they were txt he gets direct from employer ref his amount into bank:
7 days=£1896
1 days rest
5days=£1658
Then he flies back to NI for a week off.

So roughly 3weeks on 1week off/month just over £5k into bank!!![emoji50][emoji53]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Something’s clearly not right,I call BS.
The difference between 7 & 5 days is £238.

Yeah it’s do’able just don’t expect to step into a machine n be on top £straight away,top hand on dozer self employed should be on £20/22 hr,do 12 hr shifts n week ends won’t be far off

xichrisxi:
Something’s clearly not right,I call BS.
The difference between 7 & 5 days is £238.

It was the exact txt he received from employer worded “into bank” etc.
Maybe the 7days were less hrs working on a Sat/Sun or something along those lines.

There was a plant hire firm on FB last Spring looking SE dozer drivers@ £26hr 12hr shifts for M11/A14 contract!!!

S/e lads on the tractors, new starts will be on £15 p/h, theyll be mostly doing water bowser, diesel bowser work to start. Only goes up from there. In summer and on road builds you can be on plenty of money, with plenty of hours. Know a few lads on civils/planers living out of sprinters on nearly 2k a week.

I’ve yet to see anyone working in roadworks who actually looks like they’re working hard. Some of it must be mind numbingly boring though such as the poor sap who drives the convoy van at 10MPH through roadworks for 8-10hrs or the ones who have to sit in a safety van for 10hrs at the start of a sliproad they’ve closed off.

Did consider plant tickets instead of upgrading to C+E after delivering plant on my C licence… :confused:

But, what if the economy crashed (again?), would the jobs still be out there, was the same question I kept asking…■■?

Plant can be extremely well paid depending on the company you work for.
But you need the skills. Not something you learn overnight.

Goldfinger:
Did consider plant tickets instead of upgrading to C+E after delivering plant on my C licence… :confused:

But, what if the economy crashed (again?), would the jobs still be out there, was the same question I kept asking…■■?

Was it not announced recently they’re going to upgrade A14 to M way all the way to Felixstowe?
Also A47 to be dualled P’Borough to G.Yarmouth?
Be a few yrs work about those contracts!!!

it’s do able easy
I operate mobile cranes now
had a enough of living in tin can driving car transporters so took plunge into cranes.

Haven’t really been operating cranes long either
was on a job sited up most of summer was clearing 4500 a month in the bank

it’s overtime rate is the difference between driving trucks and plant is where u make u money

everything time n half after 8 hours
double after 1w hours
double all weekend

so if you do 20 hours over weekend it’s pretty much a weeks wages 40 hours
then u 4 hours overtime during week everyday.
20 hours overtime paid at time half is another 30 hours

so that’s 70 hours over time plus 40 hours basic
u be getting paid 110 hours at like 13 to 18 a hour
it racks up very fast

You are doing well for crane work fella.
What training course did you do?
What size of crane are you operating?

360 excavators and the like pay around £15+ per hour.

eagerbeaver:

Yeah, but those plant operators don`t get the conditions and camaraderie found in our RDCs do they?

:wink:

My lot pay between 17 and 20 quid an hour for a self employed digger driver. 07.30-17.30 and no weekends.Mind you it’s a money-pit like this job. CSCS card,the first CPCS is for under 10t,then it’s another one for over 10t,then if you want to lift anything you need lifting ops.And they last 5 years. It seems whatever job you do nowadays you’re constantly forking out for something. Being self employed I assume they can claim this that and the other back

Franglais:

eagerbeaver:

Yeah, but those plant operators don`t get the conditions and camaraderie found in our RDCs do they?

:wink:

A good point mate. They also don’t sleep in them and only do 40 hours.

Don’t know what goes through their minds…

Themoocher:
it’s do able easy
I operate mobile cranes now
had a enough of living in tin can driving car transporters so took plunge into cranes.

Haven’t really been operating cranes long either
was on a job sited up most of summer was clearing 4500 a month in the bank

it’s overtime rate is the difference between driving trucks and plant is where u make u money

everything time n half after 8 hours
double after 1w hours
double all weekend

£4500 in the bank? What weight crane you operating for that, considering you say you’re newish to the game■■?

Big Truck:

Goldfinger:

Was it not announced recently they’re going to upgrade A14 to M way all the way to Felixstowe?
Also A47 to be dualled P’Borough to G.Yarmouth?
Be a few yrs work about those contracts!!!

Wrong end of the country…

Or, if I could just get that van to camper conversion idea going… :neutral_face:

Ive got a small solar panel grid area of around 30m2, i attempted to level the ground myself thinking a JCB mini digger would be easy work…wrong! Four levers each doing 4 way plus the combination skill required using two levers at a time to drag the bucket level isnt easy to master. After two hours of frustration (and ■■■■ taking from the missus) i gave up. Cleared up the mess i made missing the skip and got someone in to do the job like i should have done in the first place :unamused:
I wouldnt grudge any digger/ dozer driver a decent wage… :stuck_out_tongue:

No, no you don’t Andrew (if that’s your real name anyay). You don’t have a solar grid. You haven’t tried a mini digger, otherwise you would know that’s it’s child’s play to work with one. Or with a proper one, takes a couple of minutes to learn to drive one on a low-loader sideways.

Like this one - a Kobelco from way back when I used to pull a trailer once in a while: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Anyways, I suggest you pick a new username and come back with a storyline that’s a bit more believable. I may be the only one saying this to your face, but given the PMs I’ve received, there’s plenty of folk to go around :laughing: