Plant Loader/Securer STGO

Anyone done their CPCS A50 Plant Loader/Securer STGO training recently?

What was the cost for the training and over how many days?

Can’t see any info online so far.

errr no… pointless course we move cranes mostly ballast but also the body of crawler cranes , biggest puts us at about 130 tonnes all up weight, our company is ■■■■ hot on getting us our tickets, have harness, /working at height/ slinger/signaller/banksman even telehandler even though I have never used it- the one thing they dont- is the pointless STGO loading/securing because that only comes with experience- every load is different and a power point 7 hour course is never ever going to teach you everything/anything, start small, work up with experience is years of training that a power point can never match

Rikki-UK:
errr no… pointless course we move cranes mostly ballast but also the body of crawler cranes , biggest puts us at about 130 tonnes all up weight, our company is [zb] hot on getting us our tickets, have harness, /working at height/ slinger/signaller/banksman even telehandler even though I have never used it- the one thing they dont- is the pointless STGO loading/securing because that only comes with experience- every load is different and a power point 7 hour course is never ever going to teach you everything/anything, start small, work up with experience is years of training that a power point can never match

I get your point Rikki.

A few job adverts I’ve seen have got ‘loader securer card required’, especially now that the qualification includes taking practical tests on the actual plant and trailer.

I figured if they require me to have the card to get the job then I’d better get one to increase my chances (aswell as getting real world experience too).

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Rikki-UK:
is the pointless STGO loading/securing because that only comes with experience- every load is different and a power point 7 hour course is never ever going to teach you everything/anything, start small, work up with experience is years of training that a power point can never match

This every day of the week, that experience starts on flat top trailers.

We did n NPORS loader securer course a few years ago as a box ticking exercise. Two of us did it in a morning and it was mainly practical.

We had to load and secure

Tracked excavator
Wheeled plant (dumper)
Twin drum roller.

One of loaded and the other was banksman.

Never been asked for it but I guess it’s arse covering if something goes wrong. Renewal was filling in a form and presumably a fee for a new card

Star down under.:

Rikki-UK:
is the pointless STGO loading/securing because that only comes with experience- every load is different and a power point 7 hour course is never ever going to teach you everything/anything, start small, work up with experience is years of training that a power point can never match

This every day of the week, that experience starts on flat top trailers.

Agreed.

8wheels:
We did n NPORS loader securer course a few years ago as a box ticking exercise. Two of us did it in a morning and it was mainly practical.

Tracked excavator
Wheeled plant (dumper)
Twin drum roller.

Never been asked for it but I guess it’s arse covering if something goes wrong. Renewal was filling in a form and presumably a fee for a new card

Do you think some employers require it for insurance purposes?

Marky-p:
… Do you think some employers require it for insurance purposes?

Hi Marky-p,

Whilst that’s quite possible, I’m thinking that it’s also a box-ticking job for H&S purposes under the ‘general duty of care’ in that the boss can show that he’s had regard to ensuring the competence and safety of his staff.

dieseldave:

Marky-p:
… Do you think some employers require it for insurance purposes?

Hi Marky-p,

Whilst that’s quite possible, I’m thinking that it’s also a box-ticking job for H&S purposes under the ‘general duty of care’ in that the boss can show that he’s had regard to ensuring the competence and safety of his staff.

Understandable.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Marky-p:

8wheels:

Tracked excavator
Wheeled plant (dumper)
Twin drum roller.

Do you think some employers require it for insurance purposes?

Largely an arse covering exercise, legally there is no requirement to have a qualification to operate any plant, you could to my work and I could explain how to operate my crane or anything we have in. If I deemed you competent then off you go.

All that is legally required is to have had instruction and be competent, having a third party industry recognised card proves both. If I said you were good enough and you have an accident, then my suitability as an instructor/ trainer is questionable as merely an operator.

Most contractors require a recognised card to work on their sites, it would be easy to sub a less experienced / safe / trained if there was no control.