Planning while driving

I had my Cat C Driving test and failed due to not getting right gears and undue hesitation but everything else was fine as examiner did say if I had the right gear selection for some hills and just planned it a little bit better he would of passed me.

Right Gears & Undue hesitation was just down to poor planning ahead from myself and I know what I looking for but has anyone got any tips for when approaching a Roundabout and any markers on road you could use to make sure your in right gears and etc. As that is my weakest point.

Difficult to be specific without knowing the spec of the vehicle, the size of the roundabout and the traffic flow. But I’ll give it a go. The secret is to approach in a positive frame of mind ie "I’m going to have a space that will let me go straight away. So make sure your approach gear can deal with that. A fast roundabout can often be tackled in 6th gear. Observe the traffic flow and shape of the roundabout as soon as possible. Then start making decisions. You may be able to go, especially if you get on with it. You may have to slow down to let one or two vehicles clear. If that’s the case, do it early so you can accelerate onto the roundabout with some gusto in the appropriate gear for the speed. You may, of course, have to stop.

A huge mistake is to assume you’ll have to stop every time. That will mean the approach will be too slow and you’ll miss opportunities. But, equally, you must never cause any other road user to slow down or change course.

For hills, as soon as there’s any sign of more effort being needed to maintain speed, change down. And keep changing down as you progress up the hill. You need to change down at a speed that will mean you at the top of the green rev counter band when you engage the new gear. Many folks leave it too late and end up near the bottom of the green band. No good at all - especially loaded.

Hope this helps and better luck next time. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the advice that has helped, Like I think it may of been just test nerves.

Make sense to think about that every roundabout I will get space to get on but at same time plan to stop? So going fast enough to get on and still slow enough to be able to stop safely?

Hi, haven’t been driving for a very long time myself, but my advice would be to try and absorb as much information as possible.My instructor told me the windscreen is like a theater screen and that I should look out for anything that is going on and REED the road.If you look up ahead and look over the obstacles in middle of the roundabout and approach it slow enough, you will have time to plan ahead.Be positive you should pass.

cyrus123:
Hi, haven’t been driving for a very long time myself, but my advice would be to try and absorb as much information as possible.My instructor told me the windscreen is like a theater screen and that I should look out for anything that is going on and REED the road.If you look up ahead and look over the obstacles in middle of the roundabout and approach it slow enough, you will have time to plan ahead.Be positive you should pass.

Yeah I know since test date and today all my gears and planning really all kicking in and my instructors did say that it all click in after the test! Just really want get rebook done! Not upset one bit about failing coz I had very little other minors and just one they things!!

Like you said just a little more planning, have the right approach speed not too slow not too fast. Can you stop without stamping the brakes? Can you put your foot down and pull out with out it chugging away. Need to get that balance mate, peter explained very well, Different speed for different situations just take some getting used to. I didn’t have this option as I am a ■■■■■ and did mine in an auto :wink:.

As you’re slowing down on the approach to a roundabout/junction, have in mind the gear you need to pick to continue at the speed at which you’re travelling. Then, if the opportunity is there to go, select gear and get gone - no messing!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Some great advice above. My approach was to make life simple and always approach small/medium roundabouts at the same speed and the same gear. Can’t remember what that was in a rigid.
In a 4 over 4 box I reckon 4th is ideal, as you can keep going if you need to (up to about 20mph), but if you do need to stop you are already in low range. All the best for your retest.