Places to fuel up near Sailsbury

We will be coming back from Blandford Forum Dorset towards the M5 along the A338 etc with our Lorry and Living van which is 65ft with an atrocious turning circle. Does anyone know anywhere we could get to along that route for fuel? Just to add to the problem we arnt commercial so dont have fuel cards etc!

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

Can you uncouple the van easily?

mucker85:
Can you uncouple the van easily?

We have to drain air tanks and un-couple chains as well as the pipes and electrics then build air up again after re-coupling and dont have autocouple etc so whilst we can our plan is to leave that as a last resort!

If you’ve got enough to get to Salisbury you can go in the shell on the a36■■?

We get our drawbars in that 1 which are the same sort of length. .

truckertang:
If you’ve got enough to get to Salisbury you can go in the shell on the a36■■?

We get our drawbars in that 1 which are the same sort of length. .

Yea just looked on goodle maps and that looks like a good option! We can certainly get to there and isnt too far out of our way either. Even roundabouts either end to turn round! :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

Can’t you go up the A350 from Blandford?

There’s a Tescos in blandford, a Tescos and Esso in Shaftesbury and a big Esso on the Warminster by-pass

Derf:
Can’t you go up the A350 from Blandford?

Yea we went that way last year (without the living van) and it seemed a right drag and have heard that this way should be a bit better. I should probably point out that were in a 1964 8 wheel Foden that, whilst it will get up any hill you throw at it, will certainly take its time about it.

Jeez, that must drink fuel.

Can’t be no slower than some of the tractors I’ve been stuck behind on the way to Warminster.

I’d go from Blandford along the Higher Shaftesbury road (chuck a right at the roundabout for Blandford Heights Ind. Est. - The A350 is a right pig between Blandford and Shaftesbury) then back on the A350 at Shaftesbury. I wouldn’t worry about holding up the traffic, all the locals will be used to it. :wink:

To be honnest its suprisingly good on fuel as lorries go and on the flat its not actually too slow either. Last year on the way to Blandford Forum from home (near Barrow-in-Furnss ■■■■■■■■■ we did it in 8 hours straight and averaged almost 13mpg. With the living van in tow we will be a bit slower but can still do 45-50 on the motorway and seem to be averaging around 11-12mpg. Not bad for a 49 year old!

Thanks for the route suggestions, I’ll dig the map out in a bit and have a look!

Jon