Pink Scania 1 series, does anybody remember this lorry?

Hi can any one tell me did this pink scania belong to w humphreys of london

Joe:

About eight years ago, I was working as a forklift driver at a large engineering firm in Northampton. I worked in ‘goods in’ and tipped all the lorries coming in (and yes, I was sympathetic to the lorry drivers cause, and conscientiously tipped them as quick as I could :laughing: )

One day, in the afternoon, a pink , Scania 1 series pulled into the yard. I’m not sure of the exact model, but I think (and I emphasise the word ‘think’) it was a V8, but can’t be sure. I know it was on its original engine as I was talking to the driver about it. It had done at least one million miles.

He told me it used to be a prop on Eastenders. When Eastenders first started, Dot Cotton’s husband, Charlie, was a lorry driver. The lorry he used was indeed the same Scania I’m talking about here. The driver also told me it used to have the word “Charlie” emblazoned across the headboard of the cab.

A few other facts about it,

I think it was an S registered vehicle. 1978 (I think)
I’m sure it was pulling a Norfolkline trailer,
The driver owned it himself.
This was the first and last time I ever saw it, and it was 2000.

I’m asking if anybody knows which vehicle I’m talking about. Can anybody remember it? Does anybody know what happened to it? Can anybody give me any information on it at all?

I’m asking out of pure curiosity, as I often think back to it. Mainly because in 2000 it was a very rare sight to see a 1 series Scania. The specific history of the lorry, relating to a television background, gave it an interesting spin.

I think you’re talking about one of Humphreys’ motors from east London - there are more qualified posters on here who should be able to tell you more. Was featured in T&D years ago - the Pink Panther I think.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 267#215267

I don’t think thats the one. I’m sure it didn’t have the twin headlights, and I’m sure it was an “S” reg. My memory is a bit vague. Did the pink panther work as late as 2000?

That’s Pink Panther on the linked thread in John Roberts yard near Wrexham.

As said on the thread, it was bought for parts when John restored the Green Swede.

marky:
That’s Pink Panther on the linked thread in John Roberts yard near Wrexham.

As said on the thread, it was bought for parts when John restored the Green Swede.

The Pink Panther has been move in the last few months,
dont know if John has sold it or moved it inside for work along side the Green Swede ill try and get to see him next time i am passing his house

Bill had two which were simular the Pink Panther and the Scarlet Pimpernal
the Pink Panther was bought off bill by Jimmy Taylor from kent and it was a111
the reg was EPU305T i have a picture of it front of me now it had i piece rear wings chrome humphreys eye ladder and stacks with a pink tandam curtainsider on it

bob lad why cant i see any of the pictures you post :imp: :imp: :imp:

when jimmy taylor had it was it a different colour? poss green and white

sorry for the poor quality,think this is the scarlet pimpernel around 1999,has r isherwood and sons on the door reg RIJ 981,the grille looks the same and it has all the trinkets on it,had this in picture post ,truck and driver when i saw it

530power:
when jimmy taylor had it was it a different colour? poss green and white

I know a company called intereuropean freight services had one of bills old 111,s that was green and white with stacks and the chrome motifs on the front grill like most of bills scanias they were in a trading estate just next to tate an lyle near bills.

I spoke to bill this week and it was the pink panther in eastenders he said he also had a daf 2800 that was in a few tv programs.

where did GAYLAD end up ?

Passed Johns house today
no sign of the pink panther scania, but his other one has been moved out of the shed,
ill get around there at the weekend and try and find out a bit more about what he`s upto with the motors

Heres a few better pics of Johns 141, Spoke with him yesterday, hes owned it from it being 6 months old and said he`ll never sell this one,
it was given a full engine rebuild with 142 pistons when it came off the road
and will be restored when john retires

no mention of the pink panther then?

yella:

Sorry yella forgot about that, John did sell it last year as mentioned in another thread, see below

The pink panther was bought by Scania restorer Ashley Pierce from Thaxted Essex. Last year some time while mine was being restored. Got some pics but can t put them on here so, follow the link

flickr.com/photos/13716483@N … 197722593/

nianiamh:

yella:

Sorry yella forgot about that, John did sell it last year as mentioned in another thread, see below

"The pink panther was bought by Scania restorer Ashley Pierce from Thaxted Essex. Last year some time while mine was being restored. Got some pics but can t put them on here so, follow the link "

flickr.com/photos/13716483@N … 197722593/

Those are my words from another post and a link to my photos!!!, you forgot to mention that Nianiamh!!