Pilot parking.

I can in a way sympathise with this poor guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=zQaaCUd5 … =fvwp&NR=1
Pilot truck stops have no room to get a 72 foot truck into a space, then again, he should have tred reversing in from the other end, drivers who drive in do so because the can’t reverse to save their lives, then they can’t see to back out.

nice to see others helping him though

I agree totally about parking in Pilots, there’s often not enough room in front of the bays to get in a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ without a struggle :unamused:

The other problem is that the driving skills of far too many drivers leave a lot to be desired :open_mouth: Now anyone who has driven a truck with a 20’ wheelbase and a 53’ trailer will tell you that they are quite difficult to manouvere in a tight spot, long nose tractors like that Western Star are particularly bad, because of the poor steering lock, then you have the poor visibilty compounding matters even further. Trying to get into a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ or on a dock is sometimes a matter of taking multiple shunts, but here’s the thing, first of all you have to realise that that’s the case and start the manouvere accordingly, to do that you have to get the truck in the correct position to start with, then you have to move the steering wheel the right amount at the right time so that each shunt gets you nearer your goal. That’s what doesn’t seem to happen here, they try to jacknife the trailer in and then get ■■■■■■■ in knots when it doesn’t go in first time, they don’t take into account that they need to take a few shunts and then they end up going back and forth, forward on right lock, back on left lock, so often not actually going anywhere at all :unamused:

Pilot truckstops also are the worse place for inconsiderate drivers parking on the fuel pumps and going inside to get food from the fast food joint inside, as we know their parking is not great and there’s not a lot of spaces at most of them either, so it’s understandable in some way, but a total PITA when all you want is to fill your tanks and get down the road, maybe they should have truck drive throughs, after all, the people that stuff their fat faces full of fast food are not exactly going to be upset that they have lost the exercise of the walk to the counter are they :laughing:

One thing that amazes me at these places is when guy who obviously can’t reverse to save his life, stops reversing because he see’s he isn’t gonna make it without a shunt then pulls into exactly the same position he started out in the first place LOL

I avoid pilots like the plague.

Does any one actually know why American truckers are so hell bent on going to pilots? On one intersection there could be a tiny pilot and a massive Flying J and an equally big TA or Petro and truck after truck will try and squeeze in to the pilot. Not only that, but even if they do go to a Flying J, they struggle like hell trying to manouver into a tight space as near to the diesel pumps/building as possible just so they dont have to talk an extra 150 feet that would be required if they’d parked one row back with all the room in the world. I’ve often parked at the back, gone inside, bought some food or a drink and on the way back out to the truck, they are still fannying around trying to back in.

There must be something about pilots that they like and its not for fuel as they just go in to park. Maybe Dunkin Donuts make the best food in the world and I just havent realised it■■?