pictures

recently I was really pleased to see a picture of one of the lorries my father drove in the eighties,it was as commercial heritage put it a well used ACR transport removals van,i went out in this vehicle many times with my dad on removals when I was old enough to work,it was a seddon topic in the magazine,but it also bought back memories of a particular job,not the job itself but a café we went into,we stood behind a suit and his wife and kids,the guy behind the counter looked past him and said to us yes lads what can I get you,to which the suit replied excuse me I think we were next,he then pointed to a sign above which I had seen but the suit had not,it said LORRY DRIVERS ARE MY BREAD AND BUTTER THEY WILL BE SERVED FIRST,this was at the time when the likes of the suit could go into little chef and hgvs were not allowed,at the time being young I thought the café owners attitude was cool,very much doubt he would get away with it nowadays,probably [if still alive]in his eighties now,the café at the time was I think in the crawley area

Was it “the cabin” cafe on the a264 between Crawley and Horsham, if so still going to this day, I pass it on my way to work and home again, but I’ve never actually been in there!

no,i do know it was not the cabin,you should go in there though,been in there a couple of times,friendly and the food is good

Was it the Chalet Cafe at Cowfold? ?

I have absolutely no idea which café it was, at the time I was 18, and it was 35 yrs ago,sorry[nice to be that age again,wishful thinking]

Didn’t that cabin café used to be a proper brick built house & cafe until a major fire…then the site was cleared and the cabin put there? I seem to recall going into the brick café as a teenager, many moons ago when out for a day with a family friend who was a trucker.

used to be the norm, even imitators services had a truckers thing, not anymore ,sadly we are treated below likes etc.