Pictures of plants for service as anybody got any PLEASE

As anybody got any photos of vehicles from gordon plant haulage from north rode, plants for service

Telekonsteve:
As anybody got any photos of vehicles from gordon plant haulage from north rode, plants for service

Hi Telekonsteve,

In order to get the pics you want, maybe you’d consider a duplicate post in the Transport Photo Forum (a bit further down on the index page) or would you prefer that I move this post over there for you?

:bulb: Have a look first and see what you think. :wink:

It’s here:
CLICKY: :arrow_right: TRANSPORT PHOTO FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY) - Trucknet UK

Hiya… there are one or two photo,s of plants lorry,s still painted red but with other peoples name replacing
the plants name.
I think one has simms on the door its a 8 legger ERF(surprise).Gordons lorries was in such good
condition that after the sale alot of people left the lorries in the red livery.If you go to bill clowes picasa photos
there,s a wood grain ERF and a truck with Hobson on the door. it dos,nt say anything about plants but it
looks very similar to his.
I worked with a dozen of EX Plants drivers as they started at S Coopers at Bollington. I,ll speak to one he may have
photo,s.
John

I remember in the 70s a few of g plants used to park on tooleyst[tower bridge]and they were a very smart fleet.
regards dave.

Gordon Plants fleet was one of the tidiest,well run general haulage fleets of its time.I always remember regularly coming across them on a Sunday afternoon at Crick,on the lay-by before you ran onto the M1.There was always a good number of them and they would be loaded with all kinds of traffic,high,low and heavy and immaculatley sheeted and roped as well.Rigids and artics but always a number of that ubiqitous tapered chassis ERF with the 5 cyl Gardner/DB/Eaton 2spd!!makes your eyes water re-calling those days it sure does! Bewick.

When I drove for Cooke and Copestake at Smallwood I usd to see a lot of Plants from the Chain and Gate Farm I think it was called.
When Plants finished,didn’t they come up again for a short while as Crewe Cold Store,or was this another firm using their old motors?

bestbooties:
When I drove for Cooke and Copestake at Smallwood I usd to see a lot of Plants from the Chain and Gate Farm I think it was called.
When Plants finished,didn’t they come up again for a short while as Crewe Cold Store,or was this another firm using their old motors?

Hi Ian

Correct, Plants were based behind the Chain and Gate pub on the Congleton to Macclesfield road.

IIRC they did go under but re-emerged as WING SONG Tranpsort for a very short time.

Crewe Cold Store was also Plants but traded as G PLANT AND SONS. All mainlky ERF A SERIES rigids - 6 and 8 wheelers - with
a very distinctive wood grain paint job. Always clean and very weel turned out.

Steve

SSPROS1965:

bestbooties:
When Plants finished,didn’t they come up again for a short while as Crewe Cold Store,or was this another firm using their old motors
Correct, Plants were based behind the Chain and Gate pub on the Congleton to Macclesfield road.
IIRC they did go under but re-emerged as WING SONG Tranpsort for a very short time.
Crewe Cold Store was also Plants but traded as G PLANT AND SONS. All mainlky ERF A SERIES rigids - 6 and 8 wheelers - with

Hiya…don.t let gordon RIP or any of his very loyal workers hear you say that plants may have gone broke or they.ll be after you.
Gordon set up his son on the crewe cold store transport but needed to interveen and sort things out for him. Gordon went into storage.mrs Plant now has a very large plot of cheshire and dose.nt want for much. someone will tell you theres still a couple
of wagons in a shed that don.t see day light. I think you.ll find that all the family was looked after very well by Gordon Plant.
John

3300John:

SSPROS1965:

bestbooties:
When Plants finished,didn’t they come up again for a short while as Crewe Cold Store,or was this another firm using their old motors

Hiya…don.t let gordon RIP or any of his very loyal workers hear you say that plants may have gone broke or they.ll be after you.
Gordon set up his son on the crewe cold store transport but needed to interveen and sort things out for him. Gordon went into storage.mrs Plant now has a very large plot of cheshire and dose.nt want for much. someone will tell you theres still a couple
of wagons in a shed that don.t see day light. I think you.ll find that all the family was looked after very well by Gordon Plant.
John

John,
Far be it from me to make an unsubstatiated remark that anyone had “gone broke”.I did use the expression,“When Plants finished”,as in,finished operating as we knew them.

Never mix a full-time trucking job with aspirations to be a trucking photojournalist, it just doesn’t work. I couldn’t get back to Crewe to complete the story and only some good mates covering my trailer shunting duties prevented my gaffer ever finding out where I really was - 60-miles away! Hope they brings back some memories for someone - maybe the driver pictured? Cracking fleet.