Pictures from the Fred Dibnah Memorial Steam Rally

They’re not all steamers - in fact, the majority of the exhibits were wagons.

The event was last weekend and was held as a charity event to raise funds for a memorial to Fred in Bolton. Sadly only a week before the event was held, one of the organisers - Jack Johnson from Banks near Southport died, aged 84. Jack was very well known locally for his community work and was held in very high regard for his engineering and restoration feats.

On display for the first time to the general public was the collection of William Hunter (Huntapac Produce). All local vehicles that have a significance to William.

I hope you like them.

IMG SRC=‘imagecave.com - contact with domain owner | Epik.com’>.

Great pic’s marky :smiley:

great pics, i am a great fan of fred he was one of a kind i was going to go to this event but other things got in the way as usual.
does anyone know if the atki rally is still held in chorley?

Nope - the last time the Atkinson Rally was at Botany Bay was in 2003. The venue got smaller and smaller - it was eventually just a mass of wagons with no facilities.

Last year it was at Ironbridge in Shropshire and was even worse. We got half an overflow car car park and once you were in there was no getting out again. when we found out that this year it was being held in the car park of a science park in Leicestershire, we just shrugged our shoulders and decided not to go.

Quite what connection these venues have with the heritage of Atkinson Vehicles Ltd. escapes me. At least Botany Bay was in the same County as where Atkinsons were built. If the organisers can’t arrange something that has even the basic facilities they should think of merging it with another event.

The Cheshire Steam Fair at Tabley House has always had a good attendance from Atkinson owners and it’s been the considered view of lots of attendees that the Atkinson Rally should be held there. Why the Classic Atkinson Club (or whatever they are called) can’t get their heads together with the organisers of the Cheshire Steam Fair is a bit puzzling to us.

good pics i liked fred dibnah i liked it best when he was blowing up things i wasnt fussed when he did programmes on industry but when he blew up the chimmneys was best.

marky:
The Cheshire Steam Fair at Tabley House has always had a good attendance from Atkinson owners and it’s been the considered view of lots of attendees that the Atkinson Rally should be held there. Why the Classic Atkinson Club (or whatever they are called) can’t get their heads together with the organisers of the Cheshire Steam Fair is a bit puzzling to us.

This would probably be a good time to say that the Cheshire Steam Fair is on 9th & 10th July.

The entry forms for the rally, bill it as “The Unnoficial Seddon & Atkinson Gathering”. In my opinion it is better than the official gathering and nearly as well attended by Atkinson owners.

Who is doing the sausage casserole this year Marky? :laughing:

Also, don’t forget your overalls as there will be a shock absorber fitting session taking place!

Fred Dibnah was my hero. Couldn’t get enough of his stories and there was allus summat new to be learned from him.

Greatly missed :cry: .

RIP :frowning:

thanks for the very nice pictures of the various vehicles ,

Very good pic’s :smiley:

killsville:

marky:

This would probably be a good time to say that the Cheshire Steam Fair is on 9th & 10th July.

The entry forms for the rally, bill it as “The Unnoficial Seddon & Atkinson Gathering”. In my opinion it is better than the official gathering and nearly as well attended by Atkinson owners.

Also, don’t forget your overalls as there will be a shock absorber fitting session taking place!

No casseroles - we’re at a wedding the day before, so it’s BBQ or bust this year.

You’d better bring a tent this year - Bowker50 has birds nesting at the top of one of the landing legs so hasn’t been for test yet. If the fledglings dont discover what their wings are for within the next week, we’ll all be looking for somewhere else to kip a week on Saturday…

marky:

killsville:

marky:

No casseroles - we’re at a wedding the day before, so it’s BBQ or bust this year.

You’d better bring a tent this year - Bowker50 has birds nesting at the top of one of the landing legs so hasn’t been for test yet. If the fledglings dont discover what their wings are for within the next week, we’ll all be looking for somewhere else to kip a week on Saturday…

I think that the ever-resourceful TC has his eye on a 40’ Tautliner…

We’re going to need a a trampoline to get OMT up there :smiley:

marky:

Don’t worry, I’ve mastered the sausage casserole now!

Shall I fetch a trailer for us to kip in?

I’d leave it until midweek before a decision is made. We’re over there on sunday - I might take the cat and let nature take it’s course…

Our very charitable hosts at Bamber Bridge have loaned us a trailer for the weekend. It’s a 40’ air-suspended Crane Fruehauf curtain-sider.

There was no way we could’ve moved Bowker50 while the lodgers were still in occupancy - the lads in the workshop would’ve lynched us!!

marky:
Our very charitable hosts at Bamber Bridge have loaned us a trailer for the weekend. It’s a 40’ air-suspended Crane Fruehauf curtain-sider.

There was no way we could’ve moved Bowker50 while the lodgers were still in occupancy - the lads in the workshop would’ve lynched us!!

air-suspended indeed?? Sounds like a Chapman trailer.

Anyway, weather is forecast to buck-up! I shall be in Stratord on Avon for my wedding anniversary (the RSC, if you please!)

240 Gardner:
air-suspended indeed?? Sounds like a Chapman trailer.

Anyway, weather is forecast to buck-up! I shall be in Stratord on Avon for my wedding anniversary (the RSC, if you please!)

Yup - white front bulkhead and doors and nearly perfect green curtains. Once I’d blinded myself with sweat while sweeping it out, it looked almost habitable.

So I can cancel my trailer then!

I’ll run solo accross Woodhead now so I can have an extra hour in bed on Saturday morning!

Do you know if OMT is taking his TV/Video?

TV/Video■■?

We’re going to a Steam Rally!! You can watch all the telly you want at home - anytime…

marky:
TV/Video■■?

We’re going to a Steam Rally!! You can watch all the telly you want at home - anytime…

I didn’t hear you complaining last year!