Pickthalls

Hello,

Not sure if you lovely bunch would be able to help. My Granda has Dementia and is really struggling with the lockdown at the present time, totally out of his routine. He used to drive lorries for Pickthalls for years and I would love to send over some old photos of the lorries for him to look at if possible. Would any of you have any photos of them please ? His name is Tommy Blackwell, just incase any of you might’ve worked with him in the past !

Thank you in advance.
Claire x

Hi Claire Where were Pickthalls based please.

Hello John,
Cleator Moor in ■■■■■■■■
Thanks for commenting
Claire

Hi Claire
This is the only photo I could find of a Pickthalls lorry and it was posted on TruckNet by Ste Burrow it is on the ■■■■■■■ Companies thread
maybe if you private message him he could send you a copy without the water marks on it.
viewforum.php?f=35

A friend of mine is one of the Pickthalls that has the coach company in West ■■■■■■■■ I don’t know if they’re the same family.

Thank you for the photo. I’ll send them a message and see.

I’ll look into the coach company too.

Much appreciated

Claire, I can’t help with pics, but back in 1958 when I started my apprenticeship in the motor trade, the man I worked for was called John Timmins. Before setting up on his own he had worked for J A Pickthall, at Aldby Farm, Cleator Moor.
The fleet at that time was predominantly Bedford O type tippers, but they also had a large number of cattle trucks. Pickthall’s bought one of the first Austin Gypsys in 1958 for use as a service van.
“Old JA”, as he was known was apparently a very hard taskmaster, but well liked by all his staff. His son Jim Pickthall took over the business in about 1960, about the time when I went to work in Whitehaven and lost touch with the company. There was also another one-man company called A. Pickthall, also with a Bedford tipper, but he diversified into car transporters in 1961.
Hope some of this waffle might jog the old man’s memory. :slight_smile:

If you go on Facebook , look for ■■■■■■■ Hauliers & Drivers , and Ye Old Transport of ■■■■■■■ .
You`ll find plenty of photographs , plus names of former drivers .

Good luck with your search .

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

Ah much appreciated emmerson2 and cattle wagon man. I didn’t think to look on Facebook. Thank you