Pickfords Tank Haulage, Harold Woods and Tankfreight

Aye OCX Looks Familiar CW ? How u doin Pal?

CJA1:
Aye OCX Looks Familiar CW ? How u doin Pal?

I’m fine CA,you OK? Another photo…my mate thinks it’s either Carless at Harwich or Carless at Longport but I don’t think it’s either. Any idea?
And would this other one be ex Tankfreight,taken at Darley Dale I think.

bloomer28.jpg

bloomer4 - Copy.jpg

Alec King n Tommy Speed Urmston Dep, Me n my owd Vac Tk, Avin a Brew Top o" Berwick, TF NB,

Napier Brown TF.jpg

995045630621194.jpg

If I"m not mistaken this looks Like Bill Critchley?

TF Ciba Clayton Aniline HCL, Couple of HW

HW  TKS.jpg

HW 2 (2).jpg

Tankwash Urmston

Loading TF on Train FL Tpk/On the wash Grey"s/HW AEC Leaving Ferry/HW Scani n ERF,

H Woods 2.jpg

HWs / TF / HW Man, / TF Ciba,

JLC00321-14.jpg

HW Pet.jpg

Hi guys, sorry not a driver, just a lowly mechanic for Harold Wood at Croft st Widnes, apprentice in 1965 then moved to Pickfords/Tank freight at Halebank, lots of great memories of back then

denis hannon:
Hi guys, sorry not a driver, just a lowly mechanic for Harold Wood at Croft st Widnes, apprentice in 1965 then moved to Pickfords/Tank freight at Halebank, lots of great memories of back then

The traditionally symbiotic relationship twixt driver and mechanic ensures that you cannot be treated as lowly on here! So welcome aboard old mate. Your memories and input on here will be most welcomed. Any any pics too! :sunglasses:

worked for T/F for a few years at union rd oldbury on the sainsbury petrol contract… good company and managers mainly ex drivers… :wink:

Anyone got any memories or photos of Pickfords tank haulage or Tankfreight in the 70s and 80s. Apart from the UK fleet they used to run all over Europe with liquids and powders. Tall tales of drivers shot in Italy and bieng airlifted back to the UK. Stuffing bottles of wine down the air intake stacks on early B series and then wondering why they black smoked back through Dover. Have a few photos and memories, I can remember some of the characters and stories from around the depots but would like to hear more

Starting from Pickfords Tank Haulage in the 60s, but then incorporating the likes of Harold Woods, Caledonian Bulk liquids, Brennans, then Tankfreight, including Amylum, British Sugar, Brennans, Cerestar, Synthomer Texaco, Q8 Gulf, Rhodia, Rank Hovis, Esso and Shell bitumen and LPG fleets, Milk Marque and many more, then BRS, Exel, through to the now DHL tank fleet

A mixed fleet in Widnes, Tankfreight used to run a lot of Sed Atki’s and ERF’s into Europe with few problems, although the lads always prefered the Daf’s or Scanias. We used to run a few left ■■■■■■, Volvo F89’s transferred in from Pickford industrial in Le Harve, although some of the drivers struggeld to cope with left hand drive. No problem abroad, it was the roundabouts in the UK that semed to be a problem, mainly offside mirrors, wings and bumper ends !!

Kept the workshops busy though

Sniffy:
A mixed fleet in Widnes, Tankfreight used to run a lot of Sed Atki’s and ERF’s into Europe with few problems, although the lads always prefered the Daf’s or Scanias. We used to run a few left ■■■■■■, Volvo F89’s transferred in from Pickford industrial in Le Harve, although some of the drivers struggeld to cope with left hand drive. No problem abroad, it was the roundabouts in the UK that semed to be a problem, mainly offside mirrors, wings and bumper ends !!

Kept the workshops busy though

It always seemed a hotch potch of ideas at Tankfreight / Woods although I remember them getting a batch of new Fiat / Ivecos at Immingham. We used to have to call into Wood International for paperwork and gate passes, a right pain in the arse when you were trying to get to the dock before it closed

AARRHH - that’ll be the dreaded Iveco 190-30 nearly killed the company, not too reliable as a fleet truck although the lads that had their own and looked after them loved em. early twin split boxes with pre shift facility - Remember they used to eat clutch air packs for some reason

An old mate of mine e-mailed me today, Ray Stanley who started work in Urmston in 1980 He tells me he was lucky and copped for a new Scania. At the time the old lags were not to happy, but come winter they didnt mind him doing trips to Italy and Yogo back loading from Grubers at ludwigshaven. Fantastic money and experience
Does anybody remember Herbert the Lithuanian ? or ginger who worked for Norman Lewis, Sooty who worked for Harold Woods
Stan Billington who drove a European cabbed ERF, Johnny Gee, Joe Shaw - Daf 2800, Jimmy Peach -F89, Bob Littlewood (captain Pugwash) Paddy Newall
Danny Rowlands who drove a day cabbed Guy bigJ for six months around Germany sleeping on a board in the cab in the 70s
Vicky Bernand from London ? Jonny Mounsey who I think had a heart attack and died on the docks in Hull

Ray Stanley AKA Gay Ray to his mates lol

Sniffy:
An old mate of mine e-mailed me today, Ray Stanley who started work in Urmston in 1980 He tells me he was lucky and copped for a new Scania. At the time the old lags were not to happy, but come winter they didnt mind him doing trips to Italy and Yogo back loading from Grubers at ludwigshaven. Fantastic money and experience
Does anybody remember Herbert the Lithuanian ? or ginger who worked for Norman Lewis, Sooty who worked for Harold Woods
Stan Billington who drove a European cabbed ERF, Johnny Gee, Joe Shaw - Daf 2800, Jimmy Peach -F89, Bob Littlewood (captain Pugwash) Paddy Newall
Danny Rowlands who drove a day cabbed Guy bigJ for six months around Germany sleeping on a board in the cab in the 70s
Vicky Bernand from London ? Jonny Mounsey who I think had a heart attack and died on the docks in Hull

Ray Stanley AKA Gay Ray to his mates lol

Have a look at the Norman Lewis thread and the recent posts from coca cola kid about Ginger

HI Sniffy I will post a story on Herbert later cheers Mel CCK

Ray Stanley gave me a few more pics, anyone recognise this chap

Presume this route was used a lot back in the day

And Grubers on the way back

Sniffy:
Ray Stanley gave me a few more pics, anyone recognise this chap

And Grubers on the way back

Was he one of those? :stuck_out_tongue: