Pick a truck any truck

Hey, guys !

Why don’t you stop arguing about this ?!
The European trucks are in Europe, the North American trucks are in North America !
That’s it. You’ll never drive a DAF Memphis to LA and you’ll never drive a Pete London to Vienna.
We just have to recognize these simple facts of life and deal with the situation.

Pat Hasler:
He is worried about the supply and cost of parts and the difference in braking systems etc .

Tell him to buy one of the fake “Foden” with a clatterpillar underneath, he can get the engine fixed easy enough then…

Sometimes we all wish we could have this or that… If you know, however, that that’s impossible I, personally, find it counter-productive to whine

caravan:
Hey, guys !

Why don’t you stop arguing about this ?!
The European trucks are in Europe, the North American trucks are in North America !
That’s it. You’ll never drive a DAF Memphis to LA and you’ll never drive a Pete London to Vienna.
We just have to recognize these simple facts of life and deal with the situation.

Unless of course you happen to be in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc, because in those countries the European Trucks are there and the American Trucks are there, and those are about the only places in the world that Euro and US Trucks ( not forgetting Japanese trucks )compete head to head, I know some drivers in those countries swear by Euro Trucks, and some swear by US trucks, personally If I was down there I would swear by Euro Trucks and swear 'at ’ US Trucks! :wink:
US trucks are, for the most part hopeless hunks of junk, they’re the most unwieldy, outdated and retarded excuse’s of modern technology I’ve ever seen on wheels ( not including the Trabant :wink: ), US spec trucks would be laughed out of Europe if they were marketed against the likes of Scania, Volvo, DAF, Merc, MAN/ERF etc Paccar tried to launch the Pete Cabover to loud hoots of derision back in the 1980’s (I think it was featured on the cover of T&D alongside a Foden if I remember correctly, I s’pose they thought now they had a foothold in the UK, everyone would flock to buy Peterbilt Cabovers :unamused: :laughing: ), It was the same when Mack tried to launch their cabover around the same time, I remember the Trucking industry reviews, it seemed the journalists were incredulous that anyone could even contemplate marketing these two trucks because they were a laughing stock! I don’t think anybody at the time thought the American manufacturers were being serious, how could the Americans have actually thought their trucks would compete with Euro models :unamused: I don’t think the suits at Paccar or Mack had done their homework :open_mouth: :laughing:

I think the above post just proved my point . You’ll never drive a Pete in Europe and vice versa. And we can “swear at the american trucks” all we want, meanwhile we are looking at approximately 1.9 million semi trucks on the road every day in the US generating 255 billion dollars in revenue annually . That’s billion with a ‘b’
I don’t have the statistics for the EU but I’m sure it’s comparable.
Yeah, Scania might be more comfortable… So what

please tell that to those firms in EUROPE who operate YANK RIGS and
they will say some thing else

MR caravan TRY THINKING green AND BETTER wages when your
wagons with there out of date dashboards and gearboxes ,and ill equiped
by this I mean no AIR CONDITION that works with outthe engine running,
NIGHT HEATER for the cabin again with out running the engine ,24volt
lighting system bringing better illumination than those 12volts lights,
BETTER fuel consumtion at 44tons ,yes you do have mountains but so do we and there can be just as hard on the vehicle over here,TRY looking at the ““SCANIA LONGLINE”” you may be very surprised and once bitten may never wish to drive any thing else,
yes DO NOT FOR GET THAT POLLOUTION YOU PUSH INTO THE AIR BY ALL THAT STATIC RUNNING TO KEEP WARM OR COLD AS IT MAY BE:

I am not arguing that these trucks are better or those trucks are better, don’t you get it ■■?
I’m just saying that YOU CAN NOT GET A SCANIA OR ANY OTHER EUROPEAN TRUCK IN NORTH AMERI CA TO DRIVE !!!
No matter how hard you try.

Therefore you have to choose from what’s available.
And by the way I have had an APU in my truck for a year and a half now. It lets me use the A/C or heater without the engine running, leave the lights on at night and it can also warm up the engine oil in winter before you start up the truck.

Actually Caravan, you can :exclamation: Go down to the NJ area and ask the guys there who drive old 10 - 15 year old Scanias and they will tell you that they would rather keep them than have a new American truck.

Scania are the Worlds best selling truck, there are only two countries on the planet where you can’t buy them new, the USA and Canada.

I don’t do East, unfortunately.
I’m sorry, but seems I can’t get my message across. I’m not disputing the virtues of Scanias. I anything, I am the biggest proponent of all things european. My wife and I drive european cars and visit europe every year.
That being said, I do 12000 miles on a slow month 14-15 thousand on a busy one, and I have a black lab I take with me sometimes, and I’m not sure I want to spend all that time in an “extended daycab”.

Pat Hasler:
Scania are the Worlds best selling truck, there are only two countries on the planet where you can’t buy them new, the USA and Canada.

Actually Pat, I heard on good authority there’s a scanny dealer in Montreal…

Edit: But I can’t find details of it on the scannia site…

I can tell you with grand authority, there’s no dealer in Montreal. :sunglasses:

Alli, I don’t know who told you that but they were spinning a yarn.
I live less than 2 hours drive from Montreal and often go there, I have never seen a Scania anywhere in the area, all the ones around here are from NJ.

Trust me for listening to truckers :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

well if ya want a bonneted truck in europe after september youll have to buy a yank cuz scania are gonna stop producing the t cab and volvo has already stopped selling the nh series in europe. :frowning: :unamused:

CARL if i want a bonnetted truck, there are still the following

IVECO—VOLVO—MERCEDES—UNIPOWER— TO MENTION just a few…

Carl:
well if ya want a bonneted truck in europe after september youll have to buy a yank cuz scania are gonna stop producing the t cab and volvo has already stopped selling the nh series in europe. :frowning: :unamused:

Why? :open_mouth: :unamused: :frowning:

brit pete:
CARL if i want a bonnetted truck, there are still the following

IVECO—VOLVO—MERCEDES—UNIPOWER— TO MENTION just a few…

If you don’t need to have a brand new bonneted truck, but still have something as modern as most current Yank motors, you could have a Scammell S24…Yeah!!!..now thats what I call a ’ BIG ’ Truck! :open_mouth: ■■■■’s all over a K Whopper W 900, makes the KW look like a Tonka Truck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the DHL thingy next door to where i work got a few scania rigids. I’ve also seen some of the chinese food guys using them.
as far as the dashes are concerned, i’ll take some pictures of the '04 mack i’m currentlly driving so all yous can see just how ergonomic these trucks are.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have seen loads of Macks, old and new and I wouldn’t describe them as anywhere near ‘Ergonomic’
The term ‘Ergonomic’ means that everything should be within easy reach, with as little movement as possible from the steerong wheel. If you hold the wheel quite close, as with a Volvo 610 say. in which I sit right back with the wheel rake very low, I should be able to reach all the controls without srtetching my arm any further then it is to the wheel. everything should be laid out in a practical manner.

I ‘New’ Mack Vision is still an old Mack with a few curved bits and new mirrors, but it’s still an outdated old fashioned vehicle.
When you look at how advanced a Magnum is in design, just remember :exclamation: That model is now over 15 years old and is still 10 years ahead of anything here.

you’re right, pat. all the switches are on the dash, not within easy reach. i have to lean over a bit to adjust the cb or the stereo. my favorite thing about the truck is how the ash tray is placed above the cup holder. i can’t ash out the window cause it will just blow back in. the seats on this truck are better yet. something about the way they are designed makes me sit in a comfortable hunched foward position. keep in mind that this is the new and improved mack.