Photography project

Hello Truckers. :slight_smile:
I’m a photographer based in London, and as a personal project I would like to document the human side of this massive industry that delivers all the goods of our modern lives. By human side I mean portraits of drivers, and things like your view of the road (and life) from up there, the personal touches that make the cabin your space, best (and worst) truck stop caffs.
I thought that starting out on a few different UK trucking forums would be a better way of getting an idea about issues affecting drivers and meeting potentially interested drivers, instead of heading down to the nearest Moto with my thumb out. I am also particularly interested in learning about the unique perspective that female drivers may have of life on the road (but if you are a bloke please dont let that stop you replying to this post!).

From conversations so far I realise that I will need to take out personal insurance cover, which I will do (hopefully wont cost too much…).
Will also be heading down to Truckfest July 2&3 to have a good look around.

If you would like to see what kind of work I do go to amyscaife.co.uk.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing from anyone out there who wouldn’t mind having a good humoured - and soon to be insured - lass with her camera along for a trip. Otherwise I will have to go hang out at burger vans along the A11! :wink:

Cheers, Amy.

:open_mouth: Young female company in the cab with me :question: :open_mouth: . Sounds like an excellent idea to me :exclamation: :slight_smile: :laughing: :laughing:

Where did you say you lived again :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On a serious note, it would be difficult for me to accomodate you as I do ‘tramping’ work which involves setting off at the start of the week and sleeping in the cab all week going wherever chaos-control sends me and not getting back to the yard until Friday :confused: .

I’m sure there will be some members in the A11 London area that would be happy to help though :slight_smile: .

A good read through the forums will give you plenty of insight into our lives and what we have to put up with so take some time out to read the threads, of course not forgetting a gander at my own ‘diary’ HERE.

:sunglasses:

Hi Amy. You may be better off trying to do your project with a lady trucker. You will be more at ease in this situation.

Good luck with it though :wink: :wink:

SMUDGER:
Hi Amy. You may be better off trying to do your project with a lady trucker. You will be more at ease in this situation.

Good luck with it though :wink: :wink:

:open_mouth: :cry: :cry:

I think that’s rather harsh Smudger. The way you said that you’re making out that male truckers are all dangerous. What a sad state of affairs :unamused: . There are probably just as many crazy women out there as there are blokes.

You’ve been reading too many newspapers, like The Sun etc. :unamused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: What can you possibly mean Rob!! :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Amy, welcome to Trucknet, you cannot be all bad you mentions the words ‘Trucker’ and ‘Human’ in the same paragraph, from what we are used to that a very good start.

As for getting Truckers to talk, I think you would be better off thinking of ways to stop them, you may need them.

I think Smudger’s idea is a good one but if you do go with anyone make sure they are a Trucknet member and post on here when and where your going, just be careful, there are some nutters out there.

Best wishes with the project.

any one taking Amy anywhere will need one of these.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11443

[/img]

I am down at sheerness every saturday (normaly) at the docks, having lunch in the noodle hut chinese restaurant (town centre). I cannot afford to eat in truckstop cafes, nor can I eat the poor quality grease they serve.
I eat in small restaurants (£4.50 for any chinese meal and a drink is betted than any truck stop gives you and its in the South too!); or in supermarket cafes, after having trouble from a tesco store manager about parking a fridge in the car park, I wrote to tesco and they confirmed that their car parks are for ALL vehicles belonging to their customers. I still have the letter to show to meglomanic parking attendants.
I dont take girls in the cab because they moan about my driving and scream when I do fast overtaking .

How do you do fast overtaking with a 56mph speed limiter? :confused:

I have off course been e-mailing Amy and offered her to come out for a day with me and Jolly Jumper. As most of you will know I did a similar photographic project my self when I did my BA in Photojournalism, so I’m sure we would have lots to discuss as we cruise along.

■■
Jo

Owens_girl:
I have off course been e-mailing Amy and offered her to come out for a day with me and Jolly Jumper. As most of you will know I did a similar photographic project my self when I did my BA in Photojournalism, so I’m sure we would have lots to discuss as we cruise along.

■■
Jo

Nice one Jo, by far the best option. Hope she takes up the offer. :smiley:

I will offer to take Amy with me on a trip to spain…she can sample the european truckstops …shame i only have one bed…well two really but i cant reach the top one…its too high… :laughing:

CM:
How do you do fast overtaking with a 56mph speed limiter? :confused:

When I catch up with a 40mph supermarket lorry

daxi:
any one taking Amy anywhere will need one of these.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11443

[/img]

probabaly the most usefull trem card youll ever recieve(should get a similar one when you get married lol) :smiley: :smiley:

Ohhhh…you want a female perspective, righty oh…

• Blokes tend to think you are aliens, If you do the job well, you must be some kind of butch lesbian, or if you mes it up, you are just some blond girlie playing at being a lorry driver.
  • There is nothing more embarassing than struggling with a curtain/rope etc & to have a group of blokes watching you (see point above). They will either come over & be chatty & friendly & give you a hand (just as I myself would), or they will stand there & watch you struggle.
  • When you park in a truckstop,& you get out of your lorry, you will always be hit by the stench of wee.
  • You can spend an entire 45 minute break at some Truckstops playing “Hunt the person who has the key for the ladies toilets” as they are always locked.
    *Uniforms never fit, & the buttons on the shirts are always the “wrong” way round.
    *You get an overpowering urge to murder the stupid blond bint that you work with that keeps batting her eyes & gets all the blokes to help her because she doesnt want to break her nails.

Umm…I sound a bit jaded & cynical don’t I :confused: Honestly, I do like my job, tis just that everyone keeps making such a big deal out of it. I wonder if blokes in traditionally female jobs have this kind of thing?!? :laughing:
T.■■

I wouldnt want to break my nails either.

truckyboy:
…shame i only have one bed…well two really but i cant reach the top one…its too high… :laughing:

Yeah well…perhaps skip one or two of those greasy burgers …LOL
Besides isn’t the top bunk for all the stuff you buy the cats when you’re out and about ■■? :wink:

■■■
Jo

ey, I got another unit this week, a speedy old N reg with high cab and two bunks ! I’m gonna get scared off my self with all that space… :open_mouth:

■■
Jo

Truckette:

• Blokes tend to think you are aliens, If you do the job well, you must be some kind of butch lesbian, or if you mes it up, you are just some blond girlie playing at being a lorry driver.
  • There is nothing more embarassing than struggling with a curtain/rope etc & to have a group of blokes watching you (see point above). They will either come over & be chatty & friendly & give you a hand (just as I myself would), or they will stand there & watch you struggle.
  • When you park in a truckstop,& you get out of your lorry, you will always be hit by the stench of wee.
  • You can spend an entire 45 minute break at some Truckstops playing “Hunt the person who has the key for the ladies toilets” as they are always locked.
    *Uniforms never fit, & the buttons on the shirts are always the “wrong” way round.
    *You get an overpowering urge to murder the stupid blond bint that you work with that keeps batting her eyes & gets all the blokes to help her because she doesnt want to break her nails.

Umm…I sound a bit jaded & cynical don’t I :confused: Honestly, I do like my job, tis just that everyone keeps making such a big deal out of it. I wonder if blokes in traditionally female jobs have this kind of thing?!? :laughing:
T.■■

everything i hate about this industry.

although i am sometimes a little bit backward in coming to a female drivers assistance in case they take it the wrong way but i will ask if they need help if they appear to be struggling as i would any other driver.

i will also offer tips if someone is struggling to reverse a truck onto a bay but i won’t ever jump in and do it for them, not even if they begged me unless they were struggling because they were unfit or unwell or drunk and the last of those would be followed by action.

Truckette:

Gosh ! is that really what they think ■■? :open_mouth: Thank God I’m not blond then :confused: :laughing:

Truckette:

You mean just as we would ? I think sometimes they’re just scared of getting their head bit off by some feminist that deffinately do not need a bloke to help her. When I see a newbie strugling to reverse into a bay I feel like getting out of the cab and watch him back. But I hesitate because I’m worried he would find it more embarrassing when the other blokes see he needs help from a little girl !

Truckette:

Yeah well… we’re just jelaus that we’re not happy with just the tyre !

Truckette:

No way ! ! If they keep the ladies locked I just use the mens toilets. Perhaps if they started to actually clean the mens toilets as well it wouldn’t be such a problem. It’s like they think: oh they’re just men, they don’t need a clean toilet, but lets keep the ladies locked up so they don’t just go in there ! Doh !!!

Truckette:

Is there a right way ■■? Seriously ?
Uniforms fit the job, but do the show off ■■■■ blond fit the uniform ■■?

Truckette:

So true, but that’s not just in truck driving though. And it’s not just in the female range you’ll find this attitude ! But yes, some females wants to become truck drivers for all the wrong reasons and that is really annoying when you really don’t want that kind of attention your self.

Truckette:
T.■■

I bet they do. :wink:

■■
Jo[/i]