Phone virus alert

there is a mobile phone virus going around at the moment. if you receive a call from ACE, do NOT answer it!!!

if answered, you will lose all information on your handset and sim card

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

This is a hoax, there is no such virus. This is a variation of other mobile phone wiping stories that have done the rounds over the years.

viruses are expected this year so dont get caught out. the industry experts are expecting similiar viruses to those that attack pcs. they will most likely be downloaded rather than sent via a call though. i dont really see how that one works but its always better to be careful

The ‘Virus’ element of these sort of warning is that people clog up newsgroups, forums and email passing them on without spending 30 seconds checking if it is a hoax or not.

A simple rule of thumb is that if the warning says “Forward to everyone you know” or words to that effect it is almost certain to be a hoax.

Hoax:

symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d … -hoax.html

This is the best one of these sort of emails I have seen.

Warning! If you get a virus alert from a friend DO NOT USE YOUR BRAIN! Pass it on IMMEDIATELY to EVERYONE YOU KNOW! Trying to determine the accuracy of the virus will cause your brain to EXPLODE. Please POST this information in ALL FORUMS that you use and EMAIL it to ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

:wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On a slightly different tack… Ive seen a memo in at least ten traffic offices lately warning about flashing at cars with no lights on.... the drivers are gang members who will shoot you..... WHAT A LOAD OF ■■■■! ITS BEEN PROVEN TO BE A HOAX. p.s im not having a dig at you scanny either

JB:
On a slightly different tack… Ive seen a memo in at least ten traffic offices lately warning about flashing at cars with no lights on.... the drivers are gang members who will shoot you..... WHAT A LOAD OF ■■■■! ITS BEEN PROVEN TO BE A HOAX. p.s im not having a dig at you scanny either

LOL, that one has been around for years!

snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightout.asp

One of the best mobile phone ones was a tale that did the rounds a few years ago. You entered a code into your Nokia and the screen reported something like ‘Sim Saver’ which was purely a battery saving thing, you didn’t even need to switch this on as your handset either had it or didn’t. The story was this gave you free phone calls for 15, 20, 30, 60 or what ever minutes, it varied depending on who was passing on this secret code. I know a few people who got landed with very big bills, including some who ran up a lot of charges on company mobiles. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It usually took a month at most before they got their bill and discovered they qualified for a gullible award. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

how are you gonna know its from ‘ACE’ in the first place? I dont know about you guys but if the name aint in my phone book then it only displays the number.

And if it comes up private number I dont answer it either cos if someone wants to with-hold their number, then I dont wanna talk to them. :angry:

Coffeeholic:
This is the best one of these sort of emails I have seen.

how about

Amish Virus Alert

You have just received the Amish virus.Since we have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all of your files on your hard drive, then forward this message to everyone in your address book.

Thank thee.

jase11:
how are you gonna know its from ‘ACE’ in the first place? I dont know about you guys but if the name aint in my phone book then it only displays the number.

Same on my phone, so I am also confused as to how this appears on the display?