Phone charger troubles

This week I plugged in one of these:
ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Car-Ciga … 27d60106d4

Into one of these:
ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-TO-TWIN … 5197894aa0

Into the 12v accessories socket on a MAN truck.

It blew my mini usb charger. Although it still charged my banksmans phone through his own charger.

We used the 12v instead of the 24v to be on the safe side.

Any ideas why this may have happened?

Because what you bought was cheap crap that doesn’t have a built in resistor to lower the voltage therefore taking all 24v through wires that can’t handle it & burn out under the heat , it may say 12v on the socket but it still puts out 24v , what it means is you can plug something that is designed to take a lower voltage into providing it has the built in resistor & capacitor to deal with the the voltage passing through it , your banksman original charger would have this in place & can deal with the extra voltage, all trucks run on 24v from every socket , its the product plugged into it that deals with it, you get what you eBay pay for …

silly question, are you sure that the 12v socket is actually 12v?

Cheap crap…and the MAN too !
Go buy a proper one made for the job

I hear a lot of people talk about having a 12V and 24V socket in the cab… Do they just mean cig socket and Hella socket?

Both the standard socket and Hella are both 24v output in our DAF XF and Iceco.

Lots of phone chargers are both 12v and 24v rated as said above- but I’ve a few that are not too!

The Man truck we have ,according the menu display ,actually runs at 28.2V so you can see the importance of getting good quality electrics to plug in .Pay a bit more for proper rated gear and then you can sleep safe in your bunk on nights away ,one night you may wake up a bit on the crispy side if you use cheap gear.

Race Trucker:
I hear a lot of people talk about having a 12V and 24V socket in the cab… Do they just mean cig socket and Hella socket?

Both the standard socket and Hella are both 24v output in our DAF XF and Iceco.

Lots of phone chargers are both 12v and 24v rated as said above- but I’ve a few that are not too!

The MAN i drive has a 12v ciggie socket ,12 Hella and a 24V Hella ,good quality gear will run on any of the above and only take the juice they need because they have adequate resistors and capasitors built into them some cheaper ones will only run on the 12V ,I think but am not sure that the 12v sockets are stepped down from 24v -12v which can be a little eratic on the output hence the ops charger blowing .I may need correcting by a real sparky though :wink:

Agreed with the above, don’t buy cheap/fake tat from Hong Kong! Especially cheap electrical stuff which hasn’t passed EU approved safety standards. Count yourself lucky it didn’t catch fire!

Spend a little extra and get some decent quality safety approved kit. Same goes for home charging equipment/home electricals. There’s so much fake stuff about that when opened up and inspected its a very serious fire hazard. Saw it on Fake Britain :grimacing:

kemaro:
Because what you bought was cheap crap that doesn’t have a built in resistor to lower the voltage therefore taking all 24v through wires that can’t handle it & burn out under the heat , it may say 12v on the socket but it still puts out 24v , what it means is you can plug something that is designed to take a lower voltage into providing it has the built in resistor & capacitor to deal with the the voltage passing through it , your banksman original charger would have this in place & can deal with the extra voltage, all trucks run on 24v from every socket , its the product plugged into it that deals with it, you get what you eBay pay for …

Really lost me there! if the socket is marked as 12v it will give out up to 13.8 volts, nothing at all to do with resistors and capacitors, some chargers can take a large voltage variation, often from around 9 to 30 volts, these are switched mode power supplies.

Wow. Varies response there then. I will endeavour to get a decent one today. Many thanks.

Silly question number two. If I then went to car phone warehouse and brought a decent charger that ranges from 12-24v as most do. Would this stand the test of the truck?

stevo101:
Silly question number two. If I then went to car phone warehouse and brought a decent charger that ranges from 12-24v as most do. Would this stand the test of the truck?

It should do, if its rated for 12/24v