Petworth hgv route?

I’m down in Selsey on Monday am looking at routes. Considered taking the 283/285 off the A3, then looked at Petworth. Looked dodgy on google maps so went on street view and tried to follow the black lorry signs and ended up going round in a circle. Does anyone know the best route through/or to skirt round Petworth. Probably won’t go this route but would still be interested.

Found this article, had to smile at the reply from S Cooper & sons. :laughing:

midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/ne … -1-5857944

westsussex.gov.uk/media/198 … ap_web.pdf

No worries, this helps.

Simple instructions for you
A283 1st turn on to A272 at roundabout drive 1 1/2 miles turn right in to King spit lane and follow to end then turn left back on to A283 drive 1 mile and at junction turn right on to Haslingbourne lane follow to end then turn left on to A285
Warning watch out at the Rother river bridge and at Duncton bends both accident black spots due to dumpty’s going to fast around them

I made it through…

Eastbound from Petersfield but, that was decades ago in a DAF3300 with a spread axle tandem on springs and I was an inch off the wall from getting stuck. No way you’d do it with six now.

The south side diversion is ok but as with most country lanes, no one’s expecting you coming the other way.

It really is best to avoid the whole town altogether.

Cheers, options are

a43,m40, a34, m3, m/a 27

OR

a1, a421,m1,m25, A3, a27

OR

a1, a421, m1, m25, a24, a280, a27

OR

a1, a421, m1, m25, a24, a264, a29, a27

Which is best?

Tris:
a1, a421,m1,m25, A3, a27

Is the one I’d choose…

Obviously the M25 is Russian roulette but, I’ve been on it twice this week and it was free running and easy going.

yourhavingalarf:
I made it through…

Eastbound from Petersfield but, that was decades ago in a DAF3300 with a spread axle tandem on springs and I was an inch off the wall from getting stuck. No way you’d do it with six now.

The south side diversion is ok but as with most country lanes, no one’s expecting you coming the other way.

It really is best to avoid the whole town altogether.

:smiley: SNAP!! So did I years ago before the HGV diversion which now bypasses the town centre… Whatever I had loaded on the curtain sided trailer at
the time was also overhanging by perhaps 6 inches either side to make things even worse… a very tight experience to say the least! ha ha :blush: