Petroleum drivers passport

So, I’ve got my ADR and looking to get into the big bucks world of fuel tanker driving. Looks like theres an additional qualification for that, the PDP. It comes in two parts, a classroom based theory part and a practical on site assessment.

All the jobs I’ve seen require you to have a complete PDP, held for a couple of years but all the training centres I’ve spoken to only offer the theory part.

What’s the best way to get the second part? Ask at fuel places to assess me and pay them? Or am I missing something?

The second part of the PDP is a practical assessment that involves driving to a terminal, loading, driving to a delivery site then delivering the product. Because of all the aspects involved, the only way to be able to get it is to have a fuel company put you through it.
Hoyer often advertise jobs not requiring PDP as they will put drivers through, but they will make you repay training costs if you leave within a certain timeframe.
You could also look at companies who do ADR and PDP work separately and see if you could start on ADR work then train on PDP once you’ve been there a while (Morrey Oils could be a good start here)
If you already have a decent amount of ADR experience, especially with tanks, then fuel companies may be willing to take you on and train you themselves. Your chances of this could improve if you do the PDP theory yourself. The course and test are done in a day and cost a few hundred pounds, however, the certificate will only last for a short time without completing the practical test as well (4 months if I remember correctly).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nite Owl:
So, I’ve got my ADR and looking to get into the big bucks world of fuel tanker driving. Looks like theres an additional qualification for that, the PDP. It comes in two parts, a classroom based theory part and a practical on site assessment.

All the jobs I’ve seen require you to have a complete PDP, held for a couple of years but all the training centres I’ve spoken to only offer the theory part.

What’s the best way to get the second part? Ask at fuel places to assess me and pay them? Or am I missing something?

Hi Nite Owl,

Your’re correct that PDP comes in two parts, classroom AND practical.

Some companies will take you on as you are, then provide both parts of the PDP themselves, which is probably the best way to go.

Your present ADR card will get you at least into the interview if you’ve got ‘Tanks’ and UN Class3 on it.

If you turn your card over, you need a figure ‘3’ in the left hand column (Item #9)… the rest doesn’t matter for what you have in mind.

As an alternative, you could maybe work your way into your preferred option by going on home heating oil deliveries for a while. If you do that job and load from stock-tanks in your yard, then you won’t need PDP provided that you don’t need to go into a refinery.

That saves you a few bob if you’re self funding. :wink:

Nice one, cheers Cookie Monster and Diesel Dave.

Might be of interest to you.

Class 1 Tanker Driver
indeed.co.uk/viewjob?from=ap … 5b813231b8