Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

Ford are dropping the Fiesta which has been around since 1976 from their line up earlier than planned by next Summer :open_mouth: . It’s successor will all be electric on VW’s MEB skateboard platform. europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … o-headline

lancpudn:
Bugger! The end of free ev charging is nigh at Tesco supermarkets chargers & podpoint chargers, They will start charging a fee from November 1st after charging customers cars for free to the tune of 86 million miles. :open_mouth: youtube.com/watch?v=_JsgQhap3v4

Good luck with electric prices after April. Inevitably + road fuel duty and 20% VAT also at the mercy of parking charges all added to your eventual price.Bearing in mind that 20 kWh will only provide around 40 miles worth of charge.
Call it the equivalent of around £10 per litre + road fuel tax and 20% VAT + parking charges while waiting.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
Bugger! The end of free ev charging is nigh at Tesco supermarkets chargers & podpoint chargers, They will start charging a fee from November 1st after charging customers cars for free to the tune of 86 million miles. :open_mouth: youtube.com/watch?v=_JsgQhap3v4

Good luck with electric prices after April. Inevitably + road fuel duty and 20% VAT also at the mercy of parking charges all added to your eventual price.Bearing in mind that 20 kWh will only provide around 40 miles worth of charge.
Call it the equivalent of around £10 per litre + road fuel tax and 20% VAT + parking charges while waiting.

It’s on the up & up! The price of using public chargers has risen 14% since June alone :open_mouth: , I’m glad I don’t have to go anywhere near them for my needs, I can stick with my home charging at 34p/kWh.
fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest … since-june

The Tesla model Y tops Europe’s new car sales for the first time :open_mouth: That must be a big kick up the backside to big legacy automakers.
todaynewspost.com/auto-news/tes … irst-time/

Another buzz word enters the proposals for vehicle taxation. Dynamic pricing!. Even if your ICE vehicle is CAZ compliant they’re now proposing that real time air quality sensors will dictate when the air quality is poor & dynamic pricing kicks in to encourage people out of their cars, Those ANPR cameras are going to be busy filling the coffers of local authorities by the sound of it.

lancpudn:
Another buzz word enters the proposals for vehicle taxation. Dynamic pricing!. Even if your ICE vehicle is CAZ compliant they’re now proposing that real time air quality sensors will dictate when the air quality is poor & dynamic pricing kicks in to encourage people out of their cars, Those ANPR cameras are going to be busy filling the coffers of local authorities by the sound of it.

It’s obvious that the scam will have to load the price of ICE use to make EVs look even remotely viable at £1 per kWh + the (so far) missing fuel tax and VAT.Either way there will be a massive black hole in tax revenues when most can’t afford to pay it and just give up.

i’ve just bought an Austin A40 farina to join my other bunch of relics :smiley: not even considering electric

carryfast-yeti:
i’ve just bought an Austin A40 farina to join my other bunch of relics :smiley: not even considering electric

Much nicer small car than the retrograde Mini.
What was the price of it ?.
I’d like a Westminster/6110 or maybe PB Cresta.They’re silly money if you can even find any.
These zealots are talking about limiting classics to 3k miles pa.That won’t even cover a trip to LeMans.

Carryfast:

carryfast-yeti:

Much nicer small car than the retrograde Mini.
What was the price of it ?.
I’d like a Westminster/6110 or maybe PB Cresta.They’re silly money if you can even find any.
These zealots are talking about limiting classics to 3k miles pa.That won’t even cover a trip to LeMans.

paid £3,200 with a complete spare engine.car is in vgc and not many left alive now! i’ve always loved the PB’s…but even fewer of them around :frowning:

Anyone else seen owt about this supposed 12p/litre fuel duty rise next March? autocar.co.uk/car-news/c…itre-next-year

lancpudn:
Anyone else seen owt about this supposed 12p/litre fuel duty rise next March? autocar.co.uk/car-news/c…itre-next-year

Can’t miss it it’s all over the news.Bearing in mind 20% VAT added to it.
Also the electric price cap ends in April.So still cheaper than filling up an EV.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
I see Mayor Khan now wants to scrap the congestion charge for a pay per mile scheme & curb private car use even more. He also wants to extend the CAZ from the north-south circular roads to the whole of greater London :open_mouth: transport-network.co.uk/Kha … ions/17554

Surely you mean the ULEZ ?.
It can only help any campaign to return most of the so called ‘outer London’ Boroughs to the home counties that they were stolen from.Shame about Middx but mostly his own vote anyway so let em put up with it.

Looks like the Mayor of London has got his own way & the ULEZ will cover all London boroughs next year :open_mouth: That’s an enormous area that will effect tens of thousands of drivers of older cars. Drivers in the expanded zone face a daily charge of £12.50 if they drive a vehicle that does not meet the emissions standards. route-one.net/news/ulez-to- … s-by-2023/

At around a thousand a day of illegals there will be no room for cars it will be bikes for all.

Good news for EV owners who have no off road parking/charging facilities. The charging companies are gradually coming around to the idea that not everyone can charge overnight at home so they’re changing the pricing on chargers & introducing time sensitive public charging between 22:00 & 06:00 at a much reduced rate than day time charging called Agile streets. agilestreets.com/. Even Tesla superchargers are going to be in on it. :sunglasses:

lancpudn:
Good news for EV owners who have no off road parking/charging facilities. The charging companies are gradually coming around to the idea that not everyone can charge overnight at home so they’re changing the pricing on chargers & introducing time sensitive public charging between 22:00 & 06:00 at a much reduced rate than day time charging called Agile streets. agilestreets.com/. Even Tesla superchargers are going to be in on it. :sunglasses:

Personally, I would rather be in bed between 22.00 & 06.00 hours rather than being in a car park waiting for an electric car to charge up :laughing:

bigstraight6:

lancpudn:

Personally, I would rather be in bed between 22.00 & 06.00 hours rather than being in a car park waiting for an electric car to charge up :laughing:

Me too. It didn’t say in the article whether you could leave them connected to the charger all night & pick the car up in the morning.

lancpudn:

bigstraight6:

lancpudn:

Me too. It didn’t say in the article whether you could leave them connected to the charger all night & pick the car up in the morning.

Going to be some arguments and worse over that, ever seen half wits fighting over a cheap chinese telly in a black friday sale?

Solid State batteries just got a step closer as QuantumScape just delivered the first batch to electric vehicle manufacturers. insideevs.com/news/627858/solid … ev-makers/

metro.co.uk/2022/12/28/six-hour … -18004669/

thesun.co.uk/motors/20942130 … -disaster/

telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 … gn=DM88494

Electric car sales = 16.6%
Diesel= 10%

(2022 sales figures)