Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

And all in the name of pollution…yet they want to build a third runway at Heathrow!

muckles:

Winseer:

dancompression:

SouthEastCashew:
Yep…!! No word on trucks yet good luck to the next Einstein who thinks a poxy electric motor can pull 30+ tonne worth’…

Of course they can. I don’t how many tonnes are pulled by electric motors in diesel electric trains. They main problem they need to solve is getting battery technology light enough to make an electric tractor unit the same weight or less than the equivalent range and power of a diesel one.

…maybe the 44tonner of the future will be 42.5 tonnes of “locomotive” electric artic combination with a payload of 1.5t - about the same as one of those E-type trailers they drag behind a coach…

This hasn’t been thought out very well though - has it?

If people think their new car they were about to buy is “not going to be legal past 2040” - then guess what? - People won’t be buying new cars any more.
What’s THAT going to do to the domestic car market?

…It’ll do wonders for the 2nd hand car market, mind… But that’s another story!

I don’t think many people buying a new car, worry too much about if they’d be able to drive it in 23 years time.

No, but if you intend buying a new car, and then selling it on in five years time - there will come a point where you won’t be able to sell that “not very old car” for more than buttons - as we approach 2040.
How much would you pay for a Jag for example, in the summer of 2039? …Regardless of how old it is…

Winseer:

muckles:

Winseer:
…maybe the 44tonner of the future will be 42.5 tonnes of “locomotive” electric artic combination with a payload of 1.5t - about the same as one of those E-type trailers they drag behind a coach…

This hasn’t been thought out very well though - has it?

If people think their new car they were about to buy is “not going to be legal past 2040” - then guess what? - People won’t be buying new cars any more.
What’s THAT going to do to the domestic car market?

…It’ll do wonders for the 2nd hand car market, mind… But that’s another story!

I don’t think many people buying a new car, worry too much about if they’d be able to drive it in 23 years time.

No, but if you intend buying a new car, and then selling it on in five years time - there will come a point where you won’t be able to sell that “not very old car” for more than buttons - as we approach 2040.
How much would you pay for a Jag for example, in the summer of 2039? …Regardless of how old it is…

The news reports said they’d ban the sale of New petrol and diesel cars by 2040, so doesn’t mean you won’t be able to drive them, just can’t buy them,
Also if they going to do it by 2040 most car manufactures would have plenty of non petrol and diesel car in their line ups before that date, especially as Norway plan to do this before and France at the same date, no doubt other countries will follow.
Volvo have already said they won’t be selling any cars powered by only petrol or diesel after 2019.

spike78:
One serious issue we seemed to have missed here guys -

With out diesel engines what logo will all the V8 “Super” truckers have on there latest jackets / shirts / caps / keyrings / pants etc etc ■■?

These are real issues that need debating in the house of commons !

knowing Scania fan boys it’ll be 2.4 Gagawatt badges. Instead of “super” it’ll be “flux capacitor”

So we have all these electric cars, powered by electric generated in coal fired and oil fired power stations??

Ah! North sea oil is almost dried up so it will be coal, which equals the same, or probably more pollution than the cars that ran on petrol…

We will need many more power stations, that could be coal fired so open up all the coal mines again with all those jobs for the miners!

But wait, no! Lets have cars with solar panels and wind turbines on the roof… :smiley: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I knew using a Sinclair C5 as my daily driver would pay off. Well smug now.

The green party say it’s not enough

Don’t know why this came to mind.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJjTEmXaf8

I think its going to look a right mess with cables strung over the top of every road, are they going to electrify all roads, even the single tracks up the valleys ?
eejits will just throw old trainers onto them and that will bollox it all up.

The Chinese battery company BYD seems to be at the forefront of producing all electric bus chassis. There are currently some 50 on London streets with orders to bring this up to not far short of 100.

The-Snowman:
Well I for one dont think itll happen. I think theres something in the conspiracy theory that the internal ■■■■■■■■■■ engine could have been replaced years ago but the big oil companies quashed any technology that would affect their profits so I cant see them letting this become a realit

Big tobacco hasn’t managed to suppress the battery-powered cigarette. :laughing:

Tbh I think the truth is not that alternative technologies were ever quashed or suppressed, in the sense of actively working against them to keep the genie in the bottle. The oil and car companies have simply not wanted to invest the effort into rubbing the research and development bottle for alternative technologies, when they could make better profits rubbing the research and development bottle for further oil technology.

So the truth is probably the other way around, that the eco lobby has tried (for the best motives I’m sure) to actively suppress oil technology in order to force oil and car companies to look to the alternatives sooner, and the oil and car lobby has worked to resist the suppression of oil technology by the eco lobby.

The end result might be the same, in the sense oil alternatives are starved of investment and thereby held back, but the change of emphasis makes the oil companies seem a little less sinister, because their behaviour is now clearly underpinned by short-term greed and a complete lack of the strategic foresight that typifies the eco lobby.

When conceived the other way around, as a conspiracy theory, it seemed to be that evil oil men were possessed of a secret, far-sighted strategy, calculated to keep man forever hooked on oil at any cost. With this way of thinking, I guess it is imagined that oil men have a religious attachment to oil, and/or that oil is the only kind of business they are capable of conducting, without wishing or being able to conduct sidelines in non-oil alternatives.

The truth is oil men don’t care about oil - they care about maximising profit, which is a prevalent motive in the market economy and a widely-known political policy (open to scrutiny from the masses), not a secret conspiracy particular to one industry.

So…where does this leave our friends in the middle East?

muckles:
The news reports said they’d ban the sale of New petrol and diesel cars by 2040, so doesn’t mean you won’t be able to drive them, just can’t buy them,

That’s the question I was worried about.Is it a retrospectively applied ruling or just new registrations.Hopefully you’re right.So it will still be a matter of choice to drive an ICE powered vehicle up to and even after that date just that there will be no new vehicles allowed on the road except electric powered from that date.

Which leaves the question will petrol/diesel also have to increase massively in price as demand falls but the costs of production and distribution remain the same.In addition to the question of parts supply for ‘proper’/classic cars for those die hards among us who’ll keep them until the end.Luckily for me being born just on the right side of that line in time.

Make no mistake this is all about control and creating a captive market for the EV and electricity suppliers.The obvious next step will be forcing everyone into electric domestic heating.By which point those who think that it’s better to use electricity than burning fossil fuels in a boiler or an engine will realise their ( expensive ) mistake.In being held to ransom by the electricity and EV providers with no cheaper alternatives and obviously no increase in wages to pay for it.

As for the government.Vote Conservative get Greens although didn’t see this in the lying zb’s election manifesto for those who were naive enough to vote for them. :unamused:

toby1234abc:
The middle east oil billionaires will not let it happen.

For once I’m actually on their side. :open_mouth: :smiley: Hopefully it’ll go along the lines of a massive all out increase in OPEC production quotas and equally massive oil price crash.At which point the population will hopefully have the sense to tell the government if we wanted erroneous Green policies we’d vote for the zb Green hippies.

2040… On a mid dull winters day with very little sun light and no wind, blackouts after the afternoon school run will be common news.

Hank Hill:
2040… On a mid dull winters day with very little sun light and no wind, blackouts after the afternoon school run will be common news.

More likely a case of no where to run to and no way of evacuating the population in time and swathes of agricultural land lost to a major nuclear incident at any one of the massive nuclear power plants having been built by then.

bubsy06:
Expect your electric bills to go up 20000000% to compensate for the building of a ■■■ load of new power stations, wind mills etc and the loss in road tax and fuel tax.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

this why do you think there is this massive push for "smart"meters small software change and they can see what where and when you are using your home electricity for will allow differential charging meaning they can movr when peak nad off peak are .so when everybody has there shiney new rlectric car charging overnight guess when the new peak will be !
also what is going to replace the billions of fuel tax this govt takes in its goota come from somwhere

Carryfast:

toby1234abc:
The middle east oil billionaires will not let it happen.

For once I’m actually on their side. :open_mouth: :smiley: Hopefully it’ll go along the lines of a massive all out increase in OPEC production quotas and equally massive oil price crash.At which point the population will hopefully have the sense to tell the government if we wanted erroneous Green policies we’d vote for the zb Green hippies.

The volatility of the oil market after 2003 due to the Iraqi war and China’s massive pre-economic crash demand caused America (and others) to seriously consider switching to alternate fuel sources (at last!). America now has as much as 15% ethanol in their petrol and uses gas from fracking for electricity production, as 2 examples.

Saudi Arabia (OPEC’s swing producer) upped production (around 2008) to reduce the price and therefore stimulate demand, in order to avoid the plateau of Hubbert’s ‘Peak Oil’ theory, an event that will be the death knell, long term, for countries that only produce oil. Not all the OPEC countries can increase production, Indonesia was forced to leave OPEC in 2008 as it was unable to meet the increased production quota, and the investment wasn’t available to try. The peak oil theory relies on oil discoveries as part of it’s calculations and is therefore open to being rigged by oil producers. Some people think that peak production/reserves was actually reached in 2010, most think it will be by 2020 and even the most optimistic concede that it cannot be later than 2030. If the theory is correct the demand for oil will fall as quickly as it grew (over about 100 years), but the price will diminish exponentially (about half price after 30 years) this will make it uneconomic for most producers to extract. The Spermaceti oil usage that the theory was developed from (which also had 100 year to peak cycle) saw the price fall by 78% in 40 years. Under this theory (and it’s only a theory) countries that rely on oil production will face economic collapse by 2060 at the latest.

Traditionally oil and investment businesses, who are closely connected to political power, have protected competition to oil as it was a major investment return for them. They are no longer doing this as returns have plummeted. In 2016 they were down to about 2.5% (and it’s not exactly risk free). This is leading to fewer discoveries which in turn lowers the reserve to production ratio and brings the ‘peak’ nearer or makes the decent quicker a vicious cycle. The reverse is true for investment in Renewable Energy which is currently seeing returns of 5.5% and growing. It is effectively underwritten by the government as well so risk free.

Last month for the first time more than 50% of peak midday electricity was produced by Nuclear and Renewable Energy. The Renewables have accounted for more than 25% of electricity generation since 2015 up from 3% in 2003. Oil is dying!

The Middle Eastern countries are now starting to invest in other countries to hedge against oil demand crashing, something they didn’t really do before. It’s why the UAE are developing tourism in Dubai.

Just for the record I’m a confirmed petrol-head not a Green, but the writing is on the wall (and in quite big letters I might add)

Is there such a thing as a “good value old electric banger”? :confused:

Latique:

bubsy06:
Expect your electric bills to go up 20000000% to compensate for the building of a ■■■ load of new power stations, wind mills etc and the loss in road tax and fuel tax.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

this why do you think there is this massive push for "smart"meters small software change and they can see what where and when you are using your home electricity for will allow differential charging meaning they can movr when peak nad off peak are .so when everybody has there shiney new rlectric car charging overnight guess when the new peak will be !
also what is going to replace the billions of fuel tax this govt takes in its goota come from somwhere

We’ll have ELECTRIC tax to replace Fuel Duty. Blowing up perfectly good batteries - will result in being fined. Better ditch all those lithium-run phones now then as well! :wink: