Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

lancpudn:
I see the changes in the highway code now include rules about EV charging.

"Using an electric vehicle charge point

For the first time, the code includes guidance about using electric vehicle charging points.

When using one, people should:

park close to the charge point and avoid creating a trip hazard for people walking from trailing cables
display a warning sign if you can
return charging cables and connectors neatly to minimise the danger to other people and avoid creating an obstacle for other road users"

Reading between the lines does this mean EV owners will need to put up a triangular warning sign when plugged in to public chargers or charging their EV’s from the house with a charging cable laying over the pavement to avoid being sued by someone claiming they tripped over the unseen charging cable?

A cable laying across the top of a public pavement?
That doesn`t good to me. Neither for pedestrians, pushchairs, etc, nor the cable itself.

Some form of channeling, with a flush cover isn`t too difficult or expensive for a permanent fixture is it?

"A cable laying across the top of a public pavement?
That doesn`t good to me. Neither for pedestrians, pushchairs, etc, nor the cable itself.

Some form of channeling, with a flush cover isn`t too difficult or expensive for a permanent fixture is it?"

There are quite a few YT vids of people with no off road parking charging their EV’s with cable laying across pavements. It’s going to be a minefield for sure.

lancpudn:

Some form of channeling, with a flush cover isn`t too difficult or expensive for a permanent fixture is it?"

There are quite a few YT vids of people with no off road parking charging their EV’s with cable laying across pavements. It’s going to be a minefield for sure.

The cost of a water channel with a cover?
Councils allow private companies to dig up their roads and pavements for services don`t they?
Might need a bit of paperwork, but everything does!

ebay.co.uk/itm/222538422300 … SwYvFZOGH7
Lift cover, lay cable from house to road, replace cover.
No hazard at all to pedestrians etc.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

The cost of a water channel with a cover?
Councils allow private companies to dig up their roads and pavements for services don`t they?
Might need a bit of paperwork, but everything does!

ebay.co.uk/itm/222538422300 … SwYvFZOGH7
Lift cover, lay cable from house to road, replace cover.
No hazard at all to pedestrians etc.

So what happens when you return to the street outside your apartment block, flat or terraced house and find someone else parked there? Unless it’s a private road, you have no more right to park outside your own home than any other motorist - it’s a public highway. I live in a street of forty terraced properties. I often come home to find I have to park either elsewhere in the street, or several hundred yards away in a layby on the main road overnight - another reason for me not buying an electric vehicle.

@fodenway “So what happens when you return to the street outside your apartment block, flat or terraced house and find someone else parked there? Unless it’s a private road, you have no more right to park outside your own home than any other motorist - it’s a public highway. I live in a street of forty terraced properties. I often come home to find I have to park either elsewhere in the street, or several hundred yards away in a layby on the main road overnight - another reason for me not buying an electric vehicle.”

It’s going to be a huge problem for people with no off road parking that’s for sure, I can see property prices with off road parking going up even further in price in the coming years.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Another idea would be to suspend the charger cable from a boom that swings out from above your front door, in the same manner as early petrol pumps, but this would only work if you had exclusive parking rights in front of your house. I can foresee lots more councils jumping on the idea of issuing residential parking permits (for a not inconsiderable fee) to “solve” this problem.

Another major auto maker Nissan is ending combustion engine development except for the lucrative pick up truck market in the USA. :astonished: thedrive.com/news/44190/nis … -us-report

lancpudn:
Another major auto maker Nissan is ending combustion engine development except for the lucrative pick up truck market in the USA. :astonished: thedrive.com/news/44190/nis … -us-report

There cant be many OEM car manufacturers left that haven’t shut down their ICE R&D departments. This is why 2025 will see the end of new ICE cars because no manufacturer will have an ICE that will pass the Euro 7 when it comes out.

Blimey! That was quick to get shut of their ICE’s :open_mouth: “Volvo Cars has shoved its carbon-emitting engine business off its books by moving all of its internal-combustion powertrains to a new joint-venture company called Aurobay.
A creation of Volvo and its Zhejiang Geely Holding Group parent, the Aurobay joint venture means there are no more combustion engines within the Volvo Cars Group, with the carmaker keeping only its electric powertrains on its balance sheet.” forbes.com/sites/michaeltay … c672683b48

lancpudn:
Blimey! That was quick to get shut of their ICE’s :open_mouth: “Volvo Cars has shoved its carbon-emitting engine business off its books by moving all of its internal-combustion powertrains to a new joint-venture company called Aurobay.
A creation of Volvo and its Zhejiang Geely Holding Group parent, the Aurobay joint venture means there are no more combustion engines within the Volvo Cars Group, with the carmaker keeping only its electric powertrains on its balance sheet.” forbes.com/sites/michaeltay … c672683b48

They clearly haven’t abandoned/dumped ICE they’ve just shifted production to a different account under a different name and subsidiary.
Probably a good way of circumventing ICE sales rationing and limits.
Also more confirmation that they are caught in a catch 22 of customer resistance.
While artificially making fossil fuel as expensive and unaffordable as electric won’t fix that.
The industry is clearly betting on a U turn because there is no demand for something that costs well north of 20p per kWh possibly double that to fuel + battery costs and road fuel taxes.
The CO2 despots are about to meet economic reality head on.
Let alone a nuclear disaster added to that.

youtu.be/Ui3oBdm5pD8

commonrail:
https://youtu.be/Ui3oBdm5pD8

Obviously the 380 hp turbocharged petrol fuelled ICE helps.
An EV it isn’t.

Carryfast:
An EV it isn’t.

You don’t say

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

They clearly haven’t abandoned/dumped ICE they’ve just shifted production to a different account under a different name and subsidiary.
Also more confirmation that they are caught in a catch 22 of customer resistance.
While artificially making fossil fuel as expensive and unaffordable as electric won’t fix that.
The industry is clearly betting on a U turn because there is no demand for something that costs well north of 20p per kWh possibly double that to fuel + battery costs and road fuel taxes.

ICE’s are becoming too hot to handle & public enemy number 1 it seems. Not only are they being regulated by emissions but now noise pollution cameras :open_mouth: Paris has ANPR sound cameras to crack down on noise levels :open_mouth: I wonder when we will see them over here? rideapart.com/news/558710/f … ests-2022/

Think they already are.
In Kensington.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

ICE’s are becoming too hot to handle & public enemy number 1 it seems. Not only are they being regulated by emissions but now noise pollution cameras :open_mouth: Paris has ANPR sound cameras to crack down on noise levels :open_mouth: I wonder when we will see them over here? rideapart.com/news/558710/f … ests-2022/

In France motorcycles are exempt from annual test! (MoT test)
There are a lot of very noisy small motorcyles, mopeds etc.

Stopping noise pollution in towns isn`t a bad idea IMHO.

commonrail:
Think they already are.
In Kensington.

Blimey! I’d not read of them being used here.

@Franglais. In France motorcycles are exempt from annual test! (MoT test)
There are a lot of very noisy small motorcyles, mopeds etc.

Stopping noise pollution in towns isn`t a bad idea IMHO.

Yes I can agree with that, There is a guy in the next street to us that has a big bike with open pipes & with this old house having fireplaces the noise reverberates down the chimney when he starts the ■■■■ thing. It’s as loud as if he was in our driveway never mind in the next street.
If I had a slight leak on the exhaust when I had MOT’s they either gave an advisory or failed it yet some of these bikes & the big exhaust tip boy racers that are about seem to get away with it, Mind you there’s no PC Plod around to do owt about it these days.

lancpudn:

commonrail:
Think they already are.
In Kensington.

Blimey! I’d not read of them being used here.

Believe the residents of Kensington and Chelsea are fed up of open piped supercars…blatting up and down the High Street all night.
Can’t say I blame them,really.