Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

Ford ditched making ICE cars/sedans in Europe & north America save for the Mustang, They’re making cars in China with a partnership with a Chinese car manufacturer (Jiangling motors) as are all the top car manufacturers and they’ve just brought out the 2020 Ford Territory, £25K, Pity it’s just for the Chinese market. I think a car like this at that sort of price would be a great seller here.
I think China is the only place car manufacturers can make a profit making BEV’s at present. insideevs.com/news/368227/ford- … der-28000/

the maoster:
2 years on from the O/P, the clock is ticking, only 18 more years left.

The banking giant BNP Paribas new research says that the economics of renewable energy make it impossible for oil to compete at current prices now. :open_mouth:
forbes.com/sites/mikescott/ … 34bf8e5102
Stating…
“The future is not looking bright for oil, according to a new report that claims the commodity would have to be priced at $10-$20 a barrel to remain competitive as a transport fuel”

lancpudn:

the maoster:
2 years on from the O/P, the clock is ticking, only 18 more years left.

The banking giant BNP Paribas new research says that the economics of renewable energy make it impossible for oil to compete at current prices now. :open_mouth:
forbes.com/sites/mikescott/ … 34bf8e5102
Stating…
“The future is not looking bright for oil, according to a new report that claims the commodity would have to be priced at $10-$20 a barrel to remain competitive as a transport fuel”

You wait until the govt of the day sticks the equivalent of fuel duty on the electric you charge your dodgem with…anyone wonder why they’re pushing smart meters :bulb: …all of sudden the cost of running an electric car will take a massive hike, the playing field levelled somewhat.

Blimey! Huge news today from Daimler! They’ve just announced no further development of ICE’s and will instead be focusing on electric cars :astonished: No more Mercedes ,AMG ICE power plants. :open_mouth: electrek.co/2019/09/19/daimler- … tric-cars/

It might get spendy if you use your car to get to and park up at work in Birmingham soon!
Birmingham city council want to bring in a (WPL) workplace parking levy to tackle air pollution whereas companies will be charged £500 per parking place per year :open_mouth: it is hoped the measure would encourage those working in the centre of the city to shift to ‘sustainable and active’ transport alternatives.
It goes before the cabinet next Tuesday (15th Oct)
I can see these (WPL) getting rolled out across the country with CAZ’s.

Blimey! Scotland rolling them out too now :open_mouth: . bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … s-49991051

No infrastructure in place.Give it another 50 years and we will all be using a car lorry on a tram system though.

lancpudn:
It might get spendy if you use your car to get to and park up at work in Birmingham soon!
Birmingham city council want to bring in a (WPL) workplace parking levy to tackle air pollution whereas companies will be charged £500 per parking place per year :open_mouth: it is hoped the measure would encourage those working in the centre of the city to shift to ‘sustainable and active’ transport alternatives.
It goes before the cabinet next Tuesday (15th Oct)
I can see these (WPL) getting rolled out across the country with CAZ’s.

I see Birmingham backed the parking levy on Tuesday to reduce pollution & congestion. transport-network.co.uk/Bru … tion/16227

WOW! Even the new Mercedes AMG 63 has lost half of it’s eight cylinders and is now a four pot hybrid :open_mouth: I wonder what the purists will make of that!

lancpudn:
WOW! Even the new Mercedes AMG 63 has lost half of it’s eight cylinders and is now a four pot hybrid :open_mouth: I wonder what the purists will make of that!

Probably see it for what it is.Ripping off the customer by trying to pass off a toy as the real thing by keeping the name and hoping the customer has more money than sense and won’t notice.Prepare to see withdrawal of ‘product support’ of old school kit to make the scam work.Followed by resulting total collapse of the ‘classic car’ market effectively wiping out an industry worth more than that which replaces it.Total zbwits.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
I’ve just been reading that Ireland is opting for an earlier ICE Ban which is 2030, there is one paragraph in this report that is worrying concerning older vehicles :open_mouth:

“The environmental plan also added measures to limit the use of old vehicles, and levy fees on “the production of materials that are difficult to recycle”. In addition to banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars, the government said it would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.”

My mate reallocated to southern Ireland a few years ago and shipped his dozen or so classic cars there too, I wonder what the future holds for those cars!!!

electrive.com/2019/06/18/ir … stion-ban/

What’s the problem with Hydrogen fuelled ICE obviously even including converted classics ?.Bearing in mind that my own MP has clarified/confirmed that Hydrogen fuelled ICE would meet the current Brit proposals even for new cars after the cut off at least.

I’ve been reading Hyundai are debuting their concept hydrogen Semi truck & refrigerated trailer on the 26th October in Atlanta. :sunglasses: motor1.com/news/377692/hyun … e-concept/

lancpudn:

Carryfast:
What’s the problem with Hydrogen fuelled ICE obviously even including converted classics ?.Bearing in mind that my own MP has clarified/confirmed that Hydrogen fuelled ICE would meet the current Brit proposals even for new cars after the cut off at least.

I’ve been reading Hyundai are debuting their concept hydrogen Semi truck & refrigerated trailer on the 26th October in Atlanta. :sunglasses: motor1.com/news/377692/hyun … e-concept/

Looks like silly fuel cell technology not hydrogen fuelled ICE.Make no mistake the agenda is all about creating monopolies for EV technology providers at the expense of those employed in conventional engine and transmission manufacturing industries.Followed by vehicle users.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
I’ve just been reading that Ireland is opting for an earlier ICE Ban which is 2030, there is one paragraph in this report that is worrying concerning older vehicles :open_mouth:

“The environmental plan also added measures to limit the use of old vehicles, and levy fees on “the production of materials that are difficult to recycle”. In addition to banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars, the government said it would stop granting National Car Test (NCT) certificates to such vehicles by 2045.”

My mate reallocated to southern Ireland a few years ago and shipped his dozen or so classic cars there too, I wonder what the future holds for those cars!!!

electrive.com/2019/06/18/ir … stion-ban/

Dig the art deco design & noiseless refrigerated trailer.

Blimey! So it begins! Bristol council considers banning all privately owned diesel cars :open_mouth:
"It would mean a ban on all privately-owned diesel vehicles together with a charging zone for non-compliant commercial vehicles such as buses, taxis, HGVs and LGVs.

A car scrappage scheme would also be launched." localgov.co.uk/Bristol-coun … cles/48435

lancpudn:
Blimey! So it begins! Bristol council considers banning all privately owned diesel cars :open_mouth:
"It would mean a ban on all privately-owned diesel vehicles together with a charging zone for non-compliant commercial vehicles such as buses, taxis, HGVs and LGVs.

A car scrappage scheme would also be launched." localgov.co.uk/Bristol-coun … cles/48435

These commy zbwits haven’t got a clue regarding the economic zb storm which all this will kick off.Scrappage scheme for a new car on a 3 year lease :open_mouth: :laughing: and numerous residents all trying to sell up to move somewhere else where they can keep their car and no one wanting to move there.That’ll work.Suddenly loads of negative equity in the car and the bonus of the house too. :unamused:

While if the council had any sense the rule wouldn’t be applied retrospectively and the ‘scrappage scheme’ would be replaced with a grant towards petrol car purchases up to 5 years old.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

These commy zbwits haven’t got a clue regarding the economic zb storm which all this will kick off.Scrappage scheme for a new car on a 3 year lease :open_mouth: :laughing: and numerous residents all trying to sell up to move somewhere else where they can keep their car and no one wanting to move there.That’ll work.Suddenly loads of negative equity in the car and the bonus of the house too. :unamused:

While if the council had any sense the rule wouldn’t be applied retrospectively and the ‘scrappage scheme’ would be replaced with a grant towards petrol car purchases up to 5 years old.

What fool would sooner buy a new house than a new car? :laughing:

As for leasing new cars, how many fools actually do this?

Rjan:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

What fool would sooner buy a new house than a new car? :laughing:

As for leasing new cars, how many fools actually do this?

fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-i … to-economy

But it’s not a case of moving house rather than buy a ‘new car’.It’s moving house to ultimately maintain the freedom of Private Car ownership.

While PCP is effectively similar in being all about the residual value of the car at the end of 2-3 year term and that accounts for around 80% of the new car market.Lease purchase accounts for most of the other 20%.

So probably easier to move house than have a < 3 year old car with a 50% residual value reduced to scrap value overnight and/or to be told that you must replace it with an electric toy,that costs more to buy than a proper car with a proper engine in it,with a negative equity trade in value .

Feel free to go ahead and see what happens when the banks have to pick up the bill in all cases when the customer throws the keys in.Also bearing in mind the inevitable loss of the classic car market and industry to add to the damage.

As I said far more sensible to go for a spark ignition replacement or conversion grant as a stepping stone to Hydrogen fuelled ICE and let natural wastage take out any remaining diesel fuelled vehicles after that.But no the agenda is all about creating a captive monopoly for expensive flawed EV’s and the inevitable resulting expensive nuclear nightmare needed to fuel it.In addition to crashing the automotive sector of the economy ( continued production and sales of conventional affordable ICE technology being worth more to the economy and better value for money for customers,than the planned EV replacement of it ).Let alone the havoc created in the property markets caused by those voting with their feet by moving to any of the remaining unaffected local authority areas in an attempt to maintain the freedom to drive whatever they choose.

lancpudn:

Bristol council voted on it last night & gave it the go ahead to ban diesel cars. airqualitynews.com/2019/11/06/b … n-and-caz/

Carbon neutral poop to power HGV’s in the UK! :open_mouth: airqualitynews.com/2019/11/07/c … -uk-first/

lancpudn:
Ford ditched making ICE cars/sedans in Europe & north America save for the Mustang, They’re making cars in China with a partnership with a Chinese car manufacturer (Jiangling motors) as are all the top car manufacturers and they’ve just brought out the 2020 Ford Territory, £25K, Pity it’s just for the Chinese market. I think a car like this at that sort of price would be a great seller here.
I think China is the only place car manufacturers can make a profit making BEV’s at present. insideevs.com/news/368227/ford- … der-28000/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czALsTfqDb8

You seem to be a bit confused, Ford are stopping production of cars, (sedans and small cars) in the US this has nothing to do with EV’s but because they aren’t as profitable and Ford have to reduce costs.
However they are still going to make SUV’s, Pick-up Trucks and Commercials in the US, these are profitable, they’ll be a massive restructuring in Europe, but doesn’t look like they’ll quit altogether, and yes like all large manufactures they are going towards Hybrid and EV’s and like many manufactures they are teaming up with others to cover the massive costs of development, in Fords case that’s VW.