Peterborough hauliers

Yes,gb1, I remember J & E Kenny,used to see 'em all over the place,mostly Fodens I think and a lot of bricks on ‘em. :smiley:
The other P’boro hauliers I remember were G & J Ping and one from Orton Longueville whose name escapes me - they ran some tankers and were often seen in BSC Corby and tipping in BSC Chemicals Orgreave near Sheffield.Can you think of their name?
Just up the road was H.E.Musgrove (Stamford?),green tippers with names like “The Lincolnshire Poacher” and “Why Worry” - they might still be going.
I also used to see a firm called Fenland Transport in South Wales a lot and think they were from P’boro’.Heavy Haulage were from Yaxley,are they still working? Losing touch now I’m living in the I.O.M. :laughing:

peterborough heavy haulage are long gone, their old yard is owned by montgomery now.
kenny’s is all but gone, the haulage side of it was sold to roadferry, all they still run now is the tippers under the name of crossacre.
watson running out of woodston have gone.
pings and boons are still running out of whittlsey.
pc howard are still running out of kings cliffe.
wiles and mrm are still running out of yaxley.
hutchinsons are still runnig but out of castor now
was box o freight run by mick thomas son of ken thomas or did they use his yard

Forgot about Boons and P.C.Howard Biggus,they are quite big outfits IIRC.
Can you think who it was with the tankers from Orton L.,I shalln’t rest tonight now. :laughing:

are you sure it was orton longville, that is one of the most exclusive areas in peterborough
i cant see an haulage firm being given a license run out of there even in the eighties when i hit town it was an incredibly posh area

Seem to remember Box-o-Freight being in a small yard on the old road through Thorney, just before the traffic lights. Not sure if Mick Thomas had any connection, but seem to remember him operating from elsewhere. Peterborough Heavy Haulage were brought by Carters (Woodbridge). Think PHH also had some connection with Contractors, who did mostly brick haulage. Also remember Baxter&Guoin (think thats how it was spelt), who ran a fleet of black Mickey Mouse Fodens. Reads were part of the Peterborough Motors Group, who amongst various businesses also owned PM Trucks, the local Ford dealer, at Kings Delph. That yard later became the operating centre for Murfitts, who subsequently became Norfolk Line. Nice to see the picture of Box-o-Freights Scania. Always remember them for having some real flying-machines. Reads,with its Ford connection , ran virtually every type of Ford going,although they also ran a Scania (YEV 174L), that was brought from an OD for the permits, and a Foden S80 (?) which was brought from Peter Brotherhood Engineering, for who we did a lot of work.

biggusdickusgb:
are you sure it was orton longville, that is one of the most exclusive areas in peterborough
i cant see an haulage firm being given a license run out of there even in the eighties when i hit town it was an incredibly posh area

I’ll have a look at my map biggus,I’ve probably got the wrong place. :unamused:

Think the tankers could possibly be what was originally Taylors of Ailsworth. They won a contract with British Sugar, following which the general side seemed to dissappear. Taylors ran mostly DAF’s, which were painted yellow.They did a lot of European work. Cant think of any other tanker outfits in the area.

Chris Webb:

biggusdickusgb:

I’ll have a look at my map biggus,I’ve probably got the wrong place. :unamused:

Well I’ve perused the map to try and work it out but can’t come up with owt else mate.
I just seem to think that Orton L. was on the back of the tanks.It would be in the 70’s when I used to see 'em,but I’ve probably got it all to ■■■■. :smiley:

gb1:
Think the tankers could possibly be what was originally Taylors of Ailsworth. They won a contract with British Sugar, following which the general side seemed to dissappear. Taylors ran mostly DAF’s, which were painted yellow.They did a lot of European work. Cant think of any other tanker outfits in the area.

I don’t think it was Taylors gb1.The ones I am thinking about ran crude tar out of the coke ovens at Corby BSC,I think the site was called Deene,and they would backload pitch creosote from Sheffield to Corby.

Mind you it was a long time ago and I am getting an old sod now. :slight_smile:

i only moved to peterborough in 82, i’ll try and get hold of a couple of old timers tomorrow and ask them

Rang my old mum who still lives in P’boro, and she reckons it might have been EH Lee, although they were at Woodston. Not convinced on that one. Could it possibly be Bettinsons?

gb1:
Rang my old mum who still lives in P’boro, and she reckons it might have been EH Lee, although they were at Woodston. Not convinced on that one. Could it possibly be Bettinsons?

No mate,I remember E.H.Lee well and I’ve not heard of Bettinsons.
Say thanks to your mum though. :laughing:

EH Lee did water tankers or them tanks they use to clear waterlogged fieldsdidn’t they?
truckfest use them when it floods

Think we might have got it. Either Goodmans or Ackroyds. Can’t say that I remember them myself, but mum’s been ringing round, and another of the family says they were in a yard thats now P’boro Auto’s, opposite Shrewsbury Avenue. Hope that might ring bells with someone.

gb1:
Think we might have got it. Either Goodmans or Ackroyds. Can’t say that I remember them myself, but mum’s been ringing round, and another of the family says they were in a yard thats now P’boro Auto’s, opposite Shrewsbury Avenue. Hope that might ring bells with someone.

I can’t be certain gb1 but that Goodmans does ring a bell.I think the livery was predominately green and cream,certainly cream on the rear of the tanks.

I must be wrong with Orton Longueville,just seemed to stick in me mind.
Thanks mate. :sunglasses:

chris, i’ve just consulted the oracle and it was definately goodmans, green and cream motors.
the only thing i can think of concerning orton longueville is that if you,d been near their place in peterborough and heading towards wellingboro or northampton, you,d have gone through longueville on the old A605
hope you sleep well now.

Anyone got any pictures? Got a few from that era, but will have to wait till i’m next home and the kids can show me how to put them on!

biggusdickusgb:
chris, i’ve just consulted the oracle and it was definately goodmans, green and cream motors.
the only thing i can think of concerning orton longueville is that if you,d been near their place in peterborough and heading towards wellingboro or northampton, you,d have gone through longueville on the old A605
hope you sleep well now.

Cheers Biggus,much obliged and I’ll have a rayt good kip tonight. :laughing:
By the way,just been talking to a mate of mine and he mentioned J.O.Treasure.They had tankers somewhere in your neck of the woods and they were green and cream as well.

Treasure’s are further North up at Gonerby near Grantham.

haven’t seen one of treasures tankers for ages, aren’t they just green though