Peter Cook

No,not the comical sidekick of Dudley Moore,the haulier from Durham.
Used to see them all the time in Italy up to about three or four years ago,but what happened to them?

They folded about 3 years ago, I work for Elddis and we had about 10 of their units we they closed. I saw one of their drivers at TIP the day he was told about it he was not happy, He was heading to a customers to load to go across the water on his way there he got a call and was told to de-hire his trailer and empty his unit he left saying they owed him about 2 grand and he was not sure weather he would get it or not.

I thought most of their drivers were not “employee” drivers but actually sort of Owner drivers…some lease deal or something, maybe wrong though.

bullitt:
I thought most of their drivers were not “employee” drivers but actually sort of Owner drivers…some lease deal or something, maybe wrong though.

i think they were paid per mile.

I was allways told they were self employed. Remember seeing quite a few of em parked up in BP Birtley truckstop a few yrs ago, looked like it could have been their operating centre by the number of trucks there.

I think they used to run out of an industrial estate in Durham just off the A1, theres a Carlsberg place, a Royal Mail Depot and a Mister Twisters there as well, anyone know it?
I was always told they were self employed also

I also heard that later on,most of the driver’s were self-employed.

Only time I met one was in Carisio one weekend,and he turned out to be an ex-driver who had fallen out with someone in the office,he had then set himself up as an emergency driver,flying out to pick up trucks where the driver had fallen ill,or got fed up and dumped the truck somewhere.

I believe one of their main customers was LG Philips Displays in Durham.
When that plant closed in 2005, I suppose the writing was on the wall…

You`r right Kieth most worked on a self employed basis. You also had to pay for any damage yourself.Had a mate of mine catch a bridge down in Perpigan
would have cost him a few quid to repair himself but when he got back let them do it cost him a mint.
I dont think the likes of Spain or Italy made them much but if you where the blue eyed boys doing a couple of trips Benilux you could make a bit.

Got two of their ex-drivers on for us…Greek, you know one of them :wink: …Will pick their brains if anyone’s interested? :bulb:

Funnily enough I saw one of these in Magna Park this week. Well it was a blue and white trailer with Peter Cook Durham on the curtain and AM Transport or something

Just be one of there old trailers wheelnut .
They are definitely finished