Pete Smythe B - C&E training cost?

Can anyone tell me the cost of B - C&E training with Pete Smythe at the moment?

ConvoyKid:
Can anyone tell me the cost of B - C&E training with Pete Smythe at the moment?

Suggest you call them and remember to state you are a member of this site as there is a discount

Rang Pete Smythe a couple of weeks ago and received a quote of £2195 for Cat C Training, Mod 4, Pass protection and accomodation. Emailed today quoting Trucknet discount and the price is now £2295?

ConvoyKid:
Rang Pete Smythe a couple of weeks ago and received a quote of £2195 for Cat C Training, Mod 4, Pass protection and accomodation. Emailed today quoting Trucknet discount and the price is now £2295?

I thought you wanted CE not C :question:

ROG:

ConvoyKid:

I thought you wanted CE not C :question:

Ideally yes but I’m not sure I can afford it so thought it wise to price both C & C&E.

There is no doubt that £3500 for class 1 isn’t a small amount of money, but if you can earn £350 more per month take home (as an example) in expected employment afterwards, the pay-back time is around 10 months. The employment prospects for a class 1 driver in a good area should mean you are never out of work.

Ideally you would be able to pay outright, but if you can’t, are you eligible to apply for a 0% on purchases credit card deal? If you put half on that and paid the other half, you may pay it off without paying any interest on it. This enables starting the training earlier, which will be worth (in the above example) £350 per month every month that you didn’t delay your training.

Worrying about a few hundred pounds and delaying your training doesn’t make sense in the grand scheme of things, you just have to get it done and get out driving.

Noremac:
There is no doubt that £3500 for class 1 isn’t a small amount of money, but if you can earn £350 more per month take home (as an example) in expected employment afterwards, the pay-back time is around 10 months. The employment prospects for a class 1 driver in a good area should mean you are never out of work.

Ideally you would be able to pay outright, but if you can’t, are you eligible to apply for a 0% on purchases credit card deal? If you put half on that and paid the other half, you may pay it off without paying any interest on it. This enables starting the training earlier, which will be worth (in the above example) £350 per month every month that you didn’t delay your training.

Worrying about a few hundred pounds and delaying your training doesn’t make sense in the grand scheme of things, you just have to get it done and get out driving.

Thanks for the advice Noremac. The thing is, it may not be just a few hundred pounds. My concern is that should I fail again, I require further instruction on top of repeat test fees and before you know it I’m into silly money territory. Add to this the possibility that even if I am successful I can’t find a job or decide the career isn’t for me.

One thing that has struck me about this industry has been the lack of transparency regarding just how challenging it is to successfully qualify as an HGV driver, particularly but understandably by training providers. Forums such as TNUK are a fantastic font of knowledge but may sometimes give the impression that it’s easier than it actually is due to forumites natural enthusiasm for their vocation. It was a real shock to me when I did a Google search for the percentage of HGV tests that are failed.

For obvious reasons this fact is glossed over on behalf of an industry where new blood is essential to keep it afloat.

Inflation has really taken its toll on getting hgv entitlement.
Did mine in 2020.
Rigid and then class1.
Did both for £2000 all in. Just less than my first 3 weeks take home wage.
Sounds like a fairy tale now!
I think I may have timed it perfectly, not often that happens to me.

Ridiculous prices now to get a class 1. Not sure I’d be tempted if I was doing it now, especially considering how hard it is to get a job afterwards.

ConvoyKid:
Thanks for the advice Noremac. The thing is, it may not be just a few hundred pounds. My concern is that should I fail again, I require further instruction on top of repeat test fees and before you know it I’m into silly money territory. Add to this the possibility that even if I am successful I can’t find a job or decide the career isn’t for me.

One thing that has struck me about this industry has been the lack of transparency regarding just how challenging it is to successfully qualify as an HGV driver, particularly but understandably by training providers. Forums such as TNUK are a fantastic font of knowledge but may sometimes give the impression that it’s easier than it actually is due to forumites natural enthusiasm for their vocation. It was a real shock to me when I did a Google search for the percentage of HGV tests that are failed.

For obvious reasons this fact is glossed over on behalf of an industry where new blood is essential to keep it afloat.

The way I did it was to get a weekend job driving vans for a brewery, to save a bit towards my Class 2, whilst deciding if I actually enjoyed driving as a job. I was doing most Sundays for a couple of years and really enjoyed it, although lugging 22 gallon kegs down steps and cellars should be illegal ha ha.

I did my Class 2 at PSTT and continued to do the van job to save towards Class 1 back at PSTT. Within a month of passing class 1, I managed to get an assessment for an agency job to work every other Sunday doing supermarket work. I’ve been doing that for around 18 months now and thoroughly enjoy it, although, in this area (South Wales), I’m struggling to find a full-time job anywhere near as good as the agency work I’m doing now.

ConvoyKid:

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you are going to do it and the potential benefits are better than what you are currently doing, there is no point in delaying.

I would personally make a few phone calls and visits to local transport operations to ask what the situation is with new passes first.

I’m not trying to convince you to go for it because it isn’t for everyone. If you think you might not stick it, it would be a colossal waste of money, yes.

I appreciate your advice Noremac. The reason I started the process in the first place was due to how well I thought the job would suit me - my personality, past work experience and what I thought were my preferences/skillset - Autonomy, hard worker, own boss, conscientious, variety and ironically driving. I believe I’m a decent driver and have a record to back that up although my two C fails would seem to suggest that I may not be as good as I thought.
In relation to your suggestion I spoke to a local haulage firm nearby a few weeks ago who told me to get back in touch as soon as I pass my practical.

Don’t waste your money pal,the mental health will plummet after passing trying to get a start let alone a decent job.
Do vans or warehouse, HGV work is horrendously difficult to thrive in for new drivers because the real problem is too many drivers not enough decent jobs,so they lie about shortages while treating you like crap.
Thank me later.

Narc:
Don’t waste your money pal,the mental health will plummet after passing trying to get a start let alone a decent job.
Do vans or warehouse, HGV work is horrendously difficult to thrive in for new drivers because the real problem is too many drivers not enough decent jobs,so they lie about shortages while treating you like crap.
Thank me later.

Thanks for that…Deady2012■■?

Given your name you may be giving the impression of a youngster, but I noticed you said in your previous thread that you have been driving for over 30 years. If you have 7.5 tonne on your licence (C1 category,) you can most likely go and do 35 hours CPC and get some 7.5 tonne experience. After a while on this type of work I think you would find the training easier and would have a better chance at passing.
Edit: and doing the ongoing CPC would remove the need to do mod 4.

ConvoyKid:

Narc:
Thank me later.

Cheeky ■■■■ LOL

Noremac:
Given your name you may be giving the impression of a youngster, but I noticed you said in your previous thread that you have been driving for over 30 years. If you have 7.5 tonne on your licence (C1 category,) you can most likely go and do 35 hours CPC and get some 7.5 tonne experience. After a while on this type of work I think you would find the training easier and would have a better chance at passing.
Edit: and doing the ongoing CPC would remove the need to do mod 4.

My username was inspired by the 1978 film - Convoy.
I have C1 on my license. How do I go about getting 35hrs CPC?

Narc:

ConvoyKid:

Narc:
Thank me later.

Cheeky [zb] LOL

Wasn’t my intention, I was just enquiring whether you were the man in question.

ConvoyKid:

Book with a CPC provider and after you have done 35 hours worth, DVLA will send you your driver qualification (CPC) card.

I did my CPC online via Atlas, they offer days, evenings and weekend courses - of course other providers are available!

ConvoyKid:
My username was inspired by the 1978 film - Convoy.

I may have heard the theme song, but haven’t seen the film.

You have to do five 7 hour courses, which you can book with any CPC provider. Pre Covid it was all classroom, but now you can do it online too. The good news is that it there is no test, but the bad news is it is 35 hours of your time. As alluded to above, once you have done 35 hours, the card appears through your letterbox.

The only other thing you need to drive commercially will be your digital tachograph card, which is £32 and can be ordered online via the government website.

Where about in the country are you maybe you could find recommendations for a school near you. From reading this thread it appears you have been driving for 30 years and therefore have thirty years worth of bad habits to get rid of. Driving is a great career your your own boss to a large extent but i know a lot of people that found it lonely and missed the camaraderie of the office setting.

The 7.5 tonne route suggested is a good idea as for less than 500 quid you can go get a job and see if you like it and talk to the others at the company that do class 1 and 2 work. They may after a while even help you upgrade your license. However, the downside will be lots of private addresses with lots of loading and unloading your self via a tail lift.

I havent driven for 6 months but before i stopped companies like waitrose and freshlinc were taking people on and training them via the boot camp scheme they might be worth a look but you will end up earning your keep

good luck with it all
Coop