Pet hates!!!

My pet hates are (and this is as a non trucker atm)

1. Car Drivers who wear caps (anykind) they couldn’t give a ■■■ who is on the road with them!!!

2. Old people who know they shouldn’t be driving and then drive at 22mph in a 30 zone/40mph on a motorway

3. People who don’t know what their indicators are used for!!!

4. Peaople who think a 30 year old VW Beetle has a fast 0to60 rate (they obvisously watch too many Herbie movies) or think we can do above 68mph on a motorway when there is more than 1 person onboard!!!

5. People who dont say thank you for letting them go first

No5 is reason for no5 in agreement with other posts

End or rant for the time being lol

For me, it has to be people who sit at 60 mph in the fast lane, when there is clearly no traffic in the left hand side lane, but they must stay there because they are special!!! :angry:

people who are still overtaking 300 yds before their junction and expect you to give way to let them off.

I’ve learnt to put up with most everything drivers do with good grace, but…

Those ■■■■■ that just have to race a truck to a roundabout, only to then cut into my lane and break deserve one up the arse :smiling_imp:

alfa man:
Drivers inc truck drivers who think they have the god given right to join
the motorway or dual carriage way ,forcing everybody else to get out of
their way. Tossers!!! :imp: :imp:

Drivers who are so proud that they have right of way over joining traffic that they avoid moving over into the empty lane 2, or even actively adjust their speed to prevent me joining the road.

And people who signal left when they don’t intend to leave a roundabout, or continue to signal right whilst cutting across the front of me to leave.

alexc:
Drivers who are so proud that they have right of way over joining traffic that they avoid moving over into the empty lane 2, or even actively adjust their speed to prevent me joining the road.

What?

alexc:
quote]

If you’re joining a motorway you have no right to expect other people to give way. if they do its as a courtesy not a right!!!. Often the driver on the motorway can see reasons why he can’t give way in his mirrors.

alexc:
…Drivers who are so proud that they have right of way over joining traffic that they avoid moving over into the empty lane 2, or even actively adjust their speed to prevent me joining the road…

:confused: Pop-quiz…is it not YOU who should be adjusting YOUR speed and if required, STOPPING and GIVING WAY at the end of the slip-road :question: :question:

:imp: In answer to the original posts question…HOW LONG HAVE YOU ALL GOT :question: I could go on and on and on and on… :laughing: :laughing:

sharky the shredder:
:confused: Pop-quiz…is it not YOU who should be adjusting YOUR speed and if required, STOPPING and GIVING WAY at the end of the slip-road :question: :question:

I thought this might spark some ‘feedback.’

Yes, as I’m sure we all know drivers joining a main road from a slip road must legally give way. But when the motorway is near empty, surely it is common courtesy for the one vehicle that is there to be polite and help the heavily-laden goods vehicle trying to join do so without having to slow down to a crawl? A few weeks ago I was joining a dual carriageway on quite a steep incline. A car already on the road, rather than continuing at the same speed or even being nice by moving into the outside lane which was empty, decided to slow down and sit alongside me. I slowed down… he slowed down to match me. As a result I ended up stopped on the sliproad with nowhere to go, and it was several minutes before there was a large enough gap in the traffic that I could safely pull out and accelerate uphill from a standstill. Seriously, where’s the need for that?!

1. ‘Middle lane morons’ who sit in the middle lane whatever. Someone who is exercising correct lane discipline is then left to choose between undertaking or changing three lanes across, overtake and then three lanes back in!!!

2. Curtains of any kind (but usually the frilly type in a Scania) drawn half way across the side windows. ‘Who cares about all-round-vision, road safety etc etc’. Five-card shufflers!!!

3. So called professional drivers who pick and choose which rules they adhere to. Hello, they’re called ‘rules’ not ‘options’!!

4. Anyone who speeds around schools, residential areas, playgrounds etc etc.

5. Drivers who try to use the size of their vehicle to bully their way into/through traffic etc.

6. Drivers that pull out and think that so long as the vehicle approaching can avoid hitting them, even if it means using an emergency stop, then it’s okay. They seem to forget that ‘your actions should not cause another driver to alter their speed, course or direction’. As a motorbike rider this one is particularly annoying and yet very common!!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

alexc:

sharky the shredder:

Yes, as I’m sure we all know drivers joining a main road from a slip road must legally give way. But when the motorway is near empty, surely it is common courtesy for the one vehicle that is there to be polite and help the heavily-laden goods vehicle trying to join do so without having to slow down to a crawl? A few weeks ago I was joining a dual carriageway on quite a steep incline. A car already on the road, rather than continuing at the same speed or even being nice by moving into the outside lane which was empty, decided to slow down and sit alongside me. I slowed down… he slowed down to match me. As a result I ended up stopped on the sliproad with nowhere to go, and it was several minutes before there was a large enough gap in the traffic that I could safely pull out and accelerate uphill from a standstill. Seriously, where’s the need for that?!

To me, that says more about your driving than it does about the car driver. If a lorry driver does as you say, and moves across into an empty lane, he is then undertaken and left abandoned in lane 2.

Slip roads are long enough to judge and adjust your own speed without stopping at the end of a slip road. Are you related to the driving instructor that suggests doing that?

Wheel Nut:
To me, that says more about your driving than it does about the car driver. If a lorry driver does as you say, and moves across into an empty lane, he is then undertaken and left abandoned in lane 2.

I was just about to add that moving over in a large/slow vehicle isn’t likely to be appropriate, but in a car, when clearly driving faster than the joining traffic, why not? From Roadcraft: “If you are on the main carriageway, check your mirrors early and if possible allow traffic to join the motorway by making slight adjustments to your speed or changing to a lane on your right.” Not law, but courteous and safe driving.

Wheel Nut:
Slip roads are long enough to judge and adjust your own speed without stopping at the end of a slip road.

I agree with respect to motorways, but I can think of several A-road slips which have very poor visibility due to trees/a bank/whatever separating them from the main carriageway until pretty close to the junction itself. And tell me, if someone is enough of a [zb] to deliberately obstruct you, however good the visibility is, what exactly do you do?

alexc:

alfa man:
Drivers inc truck drivers who think they have the god given right to join
the motorway or dual carriage way ,forcing everybody else to get out of
their way. Tossers!!! :imp: :imp:

And people who signal left when they don’t intend to leave a roundabout, or continue to signal right whilst cutting across the front of me to leave.

Forgive me. I have just quoted this to move it onto the same page.

“alexc”

[/quote]

Slip roads are long enough to judge and adjust your own speed without stopping at the end of a slip road. Are you related to the driving instructor that suggests doing that?
[/quote]

alexc:

Sorry alexc on this you’re totally wrong. When you’re joining a motorway /duel carriage way you should alway adjust your speed and wait for a space. The car you mentioned probabaly thought you was coming out come what may and decided to teach you a lesson which isn’t right but then 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

Your original rant complains about

A car already on the road, rather than continuing at the same speed or even being nice by moving into the outside lane which was empty, decided to slow down and sit alongside me. I slowed down… he slowed down to match me.

Have you thought that maybe an occasional driver was scared witless by the truck barreling in whatever the cost.

At a quick calculation a vehicle travelling at 30 mph will cover 14 metres in one second, back off for half a second coming down the sliproad and we can all merge into the traffic nicely.

I think you need to reread your complaint on this Pet Hates thread again.

If, as your example, you are struggling up a steep hill, you might also think that the other truck that you want to move over for you is also struggling.

But hell, what do I know?

Mr B:
When you’re joining a motorway /duel carriage way you should alway adjust your speed and wait for a space.

True. What I was trying/failing to say originally was that, as a driver already on the main carriageway you have two options: Stay where you are and make the joining driver slow down, or, if the situation allows, be polite and help them to join. No different really to backing off the gas a little on an urban road to allow someone out from a side road in heavy traffic.

Mr B:
The car you mentioned probabaly thought you was coming out come what may and decided to teach you a lesson which isn’t right but then 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

In that case I guess we need ‘anti-indicators,’ maybe green lights that say “I’m not going to cut you up.” I certainly didn’t start to cross, or even approach, the white line.

we all make mistakes.
if you read this thread a common pet hate is people trying force their way out from sliproads and your pet hate is drivers not letting you come out. do the maths and decide who’s in the wrong.

All friends now :stuck_out_tongue:

But with an idea like your’s AlexC, I am sure you will be much welcomed onto the Honest John forum :wink:

turning right at a unfamiliar roundabout and the signs indicate left lane to turn left and right lane to turn right only for the left lane to split in two with the middle lane turn right also. so i’m being undertaken.

This is a big one with me atm, the amount of roundabouts, particularly motorway adjoining ones, where the signs don’t match what the lanes tell you, or where the signs/lanes are in direction contravention with what joe bloggs motorist always does.

M4 Eastbound Junc 8/9 to A308(M) is a prime example of this lunacy, somebody is going to get killed there soon. :confused:

As for the motorway sliproad argument, in a car… i go by the highway code, in a heavy slow truck I never approach a motorway sliproad with the thinking that I will be preparing to come to a stop at the bottom. If there isn’t a space, or someone is being the “it’s your job to give way to me” high and mighty ■■■■■ I will just trundle along the hard shoulder if it’s safe to do so, until a gap presents itself.

Controversial perhaps, but nine times out of ten it never comes to this. This was always demonstrated to me during my driver training for C+E, instructed to use the hard shoulder. Seems sensible to me anyone who thinks a 44 tonner is going to be able to join a motorway from a stop, at anything but the quietest time of the day is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Should be the responsibility of all road users to maintain the smooth running of the road system, but because people are too stupid for such a system, the highway code has been designed so that there is always somebody with a ‘right’ over somebody else. So that somebody can always be found at fault, and somebody can always be of the jobsworth opinion “it’s not down to me to sort out”.

This is precisely the reason we witness such bad standards of driving, because we have a system that positively encourages people to drive in a state oblivious to the outside world, because the highway code says they can, the motorway is a prime example of this.