Perth truckstop

Anybody remember, or got any pics of the old truckstop at Perth called the Transportel I think it was, it was a bit run down when I used to park there in early 80s, but it was handy, and the food wasn,t too bad and cheap, I seem to remember a pub opposite which was ok also.

No pics but like you I used to stop there 2 or 3 nights a week early 80’s, yes it was a bit run down but the grub was ok, I think it’s now a Tesco supermarket there.
The firm I contract for has a depot on Inveralmond estate so I stop there if I’m up that way now.

I remember it but never stayed there. Glass Glover had a driver based in Perth and he parked his wagon and trailer there.

Was that southinch Perth only went in once,sawdust on the floor like a wildwest saloon walked straight out & got digs down the street,tipped next day holochrome Dundee,backload out of Allison freightlines cleppington rd,load of hessian rolls 5 drops Yorkshire happy days.

It has a possibly unique history, in that it was built as the hostel for enginemen at Perth shed, just behind it. The shed closed in 1967, when steam finished so, it must have been bought by someone around 69/70 for lorry drivers instead. From steam loco crews lodging to lorry drivers lodging. I stayed there in 1981, it seemed pretty quiet that night.

If it is the one I remember from the late 60s, I stopped in there one night as it was bloody cold, was allocated a bed in this long shed, did not get a lot of sleep as drivers were coming and going all night, after that it was cab hotel in the car park whenever I was up that way until I went into the café at Haddington late one afternoon and asked the young lady behind the counter if I could park up there and she said my dad has a small holding just down the road you can park up in there if you like, so after that I only ever got as far as Haddington and used to take said young lady to the pictures whenever I was there. God I was a cad in those days. I remember one cold Tuesday morning getting in the Sedden and the brakes would not work, I drove with no brakes up to Perth, delivered and drove back to Haddington phoned the yard and was told to take it into a garage in Edinburgh and get them to thaw the lines out, was there until Saturday morning before the garage phoned me at her house to say that the brakes were working again. Moral of the story…drain your air tanks every week or you might just get a pleasant 3 day holiday sitting doing nothing etc.

Balloonie

too close to glasgow to be stopping for me but was in the place a few times for grub.
bit of a poxy toilet of a place but as the norm for truckie facilities in scotland your options were and still are…" eat it or starve"…

robroy:
Anybody remember, or got any pics of the old truckstop at Perth called the Transportel I think it was, it was a bit run down when I used to park there in early 80s, but it was handy, and the food wasn,t too bad and cheap, I seem to remember a pub opposite which was ok also.

The cafe your speaking about was the New One now a Tesco Store.
The Original Perth Cafe was situated further down the road towards Perth
at the Cross Road at the End of the Links on the Right. Entrance was on
the River Side. The area is now the South Inch Car Park.
Very popular Place in the 50s & 60s.

Just remembered that I was in the Perth lorry park one night sitting reading when the motor started to move a bit so I jumped out and walked round the back and there were two blokes in the back of the lorry trying to steal one of the mowing machines, they never saw me until I flashed the torch in the back and told them quite politely to go away and multiply, I then went and reported it to the attendant who said he would tell the police when he saw them next, as I slept in the cab that night I had no more problems.

As I said previously I found somewhere else to park up with fringe benefits.

Seem to remember there was a small lorry café in Stirling on the right just over a bridge on the way out of Stirling, there was a young lady working there who lived in Perth, anyone remember that café please?

What wonderful days to be on the road, in the early days working for a manufacturing company we only had a licence to carry own goods so never had back loads to worry about.

Ballonie

balloonie:
Just remembered that I was in the Perth lorry park one night sitting reading when the motor started to move a bit so I jumped out and walked round the back and there were two blokes in the back of the lorry trying to steal one of the mowing machines, they never saw me until I flashed the torch in the back and told them quite politely to go away and multiply, I then went and reported it to the attendant who said he would tell the police when he saw them next, as I slept in the cab that night I had no more problems.

Seem to remember there was a small lorry café in Stirling on the right just over a bridge on the way out of Stirling, there was a young lady working there who lived in Perth, anyone remember that café please?

What wonderful days to be on the road, in the early days working for a manufacturing company we only had a licence to carry own goods so never had back loads to worry about.

You and your fringe benefits!

Could the name of the café be The Bridge Café,recollect I used it a couple of times when I was running out of Maddiston way way back?

David
Ballonie

5thwheel:

balloonie:

You and your fringe benefits!

Could the name of the café be The Bridge Café,recollect I used it a couple of times when I was running out of Maddiston way way back?

David
Ballonie

Hi David.
Could well be The Bridge Café, I seem to remember you went over the bridge and it was on the right going north, according to Google Earth there is some sort of building in there now but the road has been built up a lot since then, it seems in the right place with the railway behind.

I just remember being in there one day a bit late and giving her a lift home to Perth, think we went to the pictures later.

Rob Roy…just caught up with this,I used transportel regular in early 1970`s.
Found it fair, clean beds and food ok,.

Did a coach trip not long back and as some one said a tesco store.

Stayed there on several occasions in the 70’s and 80’s. It was functional and served a purpose and was a big improvement on the old café down by the river that it replaced, which if my memory serves me well, was called the Pavillion.

Pete

Peter Coaker:
Stayed there on several occasions in the 70’s and 80’s. It was functional and served a purpose and was a big improvement on the old café down by the river that it replaced, which if my memory serves me well, was called the Pavillion.

Pete

The pavilion cafe ,roll on scramble egg,roll on mince brill! Joepipe3