Personal Messages

I have deleted my Original Post. I was put under no pressure to do so.

After a number of reasonable exchanges between myself and Rikki, I am fully prepared to accept his assertion that Moderators, and other members of TNUKAdmin do NOT have access to members Personal Messages. I therefore offer my unreserved apology for any misunderstanding that my original post might have caused.

While I am at it. I may as well apologise for my :stuck_out_tongue: to Diesel Dave, and also for my :stuck_out_tongue: to Coffeeholic, and for indicating my preference to carry on discussing my complaint with ā€œThe Organ Grinderā€ , (whose identity I will not disclose) :wink: :wink: Sorry about that fellers I was just being snotty. :cry:

As far as I know, Admin cannot read private messages, I assume this is an automated feature which is part of the forum hostā€™s anti-spam measures.

Doesnā€™t that constitute an invasion of privacy? What is the point of ā€œprivate messagesā€ If they arenā€™t private?
If they can read them at leisureā€¦Words will be had! :angry:

Private messages are private, no one from the admin team has any access to them. The only people who can read them are the sender and the recipient.

I think this is the OP getting the wrong end of the stick. I believe there is an option where you can opt to be notified by email when you receive a PM from another member. That is an auto generated email and will contain a boilerplate message about what to do if it is spam, abusive and so forth, pretty standard for most forums.

Simply put the OP is a bit confused. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Private messages are private, no one from the admin team has any access to them. The only people who can read them are the sender and the recipient.

I think this is the OP getting the wrong end of the stick. I believe there is an option where you can opt to be notified by email when you receive a PM from another member. That is an auto generated email and will contain a boilerplate message about what to do if it is spam, abusive and so forth, pretty standard for most forums.

As co owner of another site I am pretty clued up, we use the same software too and as admin I can read members pmā€™s on there, I can even log on as them if I choose to do so!!!

Gary5321:

Coffeeholic:

As co owner of another site I am pretty clued up, we use the same software too and as admin I can read members pmā€™s on there, I can even log on as them if I choose to do so!!!

Not on here. We do not know members passwords so cannot log onto their accounts and we do not have any access to their PMā€™s. If a member forgets their password we cannot retrieve it for them, we can only reset it and they then choose a new password.

Just because weā€™re all paranoid - that doesnā€™t mean youā€™re NOT out to get us!!!

Iā€™ve always had my suspicions about that Coffee fella. What with his regular trips to the fatherland and drinking coffee instead of tea, thatā€™s not proper British, is it? Not to mention choosing to live in Luton. How strange is that? :open_mouth:
You could be onto something here buycrider!

Buycrider:
It appears that en-route, it was read by the TNUK Stasi Department

Hi Buycrider,

The crucial part of your post is the part that Iā€™ve quoted above.

Without divulging the content of the PM, could you please say what gave you the impression that your message had been read/edited?

As already mentioned, the Mod/Admin team do not have access to PMs, so there has to be an explanation for what you thought had happened.

Gary5321:

Coffeeholic:

And what forum software is it that youā€™re using?

Coffeeholic:

The email received for notification of a private message doesnā€™t mention anything about spam.

For reference :

email notification message:
Hello Rob K,

You have received a new private message from ā€œRikki-UKā€ to your account on
ā€œThe TruckNetƂĀ® UK Drivers RoundTableā€ with the following subject:

Re: ************

You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox

You have requested that you be notified on this event, remember that you
can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the
appropriate setting in your profile.

ā€“
The Drivers Website
www.TruckNetUK.com

Rob K:

Gary5321:

Coffeeholic:

The phbb software.
All I would do to read another account is log in to acp, manage users and the option is somewhere in there, I found it by accident when messing around in the admin section so used it to log into one of the test accounts, you donā€™t need the users password to do it you click the users name in acp and a password box comes up underneath it use your acp password and it logs you on to the users account!!! I have never actually used it to snoop on pmā€™s I might add, and I certainly wouldnā€™t have thought the admins on here would either

I have never actually used it to snoop on pmā€™s I might add, and I certainly wouldnā€™t have thought the admins on here would either

I wouldnā€™t have thought they had the time. I try to keep them occupied!

Gary5321:

Rob K:

Gary5321:

Coffeeholic:

The phbb software.
All I would do to read another account is log in to acp, manage users and the option is somewhere in there, I found it by accident when messing around in the admin section so used it to log into one of the test accounts, you donā€™t need the users password to do it you click the users name in acp and a password box comes up underneath it use your acp password and it logs you on to the users account!!! I have never actually used it to snoop on pmā€™s I might add, and I certainly wouldnā€™t have thought the admins on here would either

What version of phpbb? Iā€™ve got a board on v.3 and admin access to an old v.2 and neither of those lets me log in to someone elses account with my passā€¦

V3.0.8

We have the option to test out members permissions, however that doesnā€™t allow access to post in their name or read their PMā€™s.

No Admins here have access to other members PM,s on this website. If you can on yours you have either installed a hack/modification to allow this or have gone through the Server database to gain such access, not through the forum software. No admins here have that level of aceess to the server database.

So unless your PM was forwarded deliberatly to someone on the admin team they dont have access to it.

If you have sent it by e-mail via the forum software it would arrive with a heading like thisā€¦

The following is an e-mail sent to you by ****** via your account on ā€œThe
TruckNetƂĀ® UK Drivers RoundTableā€. If this message is spam, contains abusive
or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the
board at the following address:

UKAdmin@truck.net

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers). Please note that the
reply address to this e-mail has been set to that of ******

Message sent to you follows

This the standard automated warning that the system sends out with each mail sent from the forum.- no Admin actually sits down and writes it.

This is an edited version, of the email that I sent at about 10am. I am now waiting for the Organ Grinders response :stuck_out_tongue: , to what I saw as a genuine reason for my complaint.It might help clear up any ā€œconfusionā€ from which I might be suffering :stuck_out_tongue: If my complaint is proven not to be soundly based, I am man enough to apologise. It might take some time, as I am now off back to the garden.

Your Message to Jimbo47.
Tony to UKAdmin

show details 01:44 (13 hours ago)

So the ā€œPersonal Messageā€ service, as it is called is not personal . It would appear to be that RBI/TNUK have a department, with too much time on their hands, who choose to poke their grubby snouts into what it refers to as ā€œpersonalā€ messages being passed between what, in this case, are obviously former
workmates , with a mutual friend, with whom both had lost touch.

For your information in the RBI/TNUK Stasi department, Jimbo47, on the ā€œexpatsā€ forum had posted that he had lost contact with a former workmate and friend, back in UK. I read it, and with some difficulty, managed eventually to get that mutual friend,s email adress, which I passed on to Jimbo47.

You obviously have read that ā€œpersonalā€ message. What was it that the message contained, which excited the Censorship Department,s interest?

The content itself should have been of no interest to any member of the TNUK Stasi. I did not use the terms "ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€”ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€“or any other term which seems to rattle certain members of the TNUK/RBI hierarchy,s cages. That being the case, why did you choose to interfere in what was supposedly a private and personal comunication? I would be interested to know.

Rikki, I think youā€™re on a loser here mate :confused: The copy of the e-mail you posted is one that I received when I had a pm notification a while ago. Must be honest, I looked at it twice - but then realised it was automated.
As I joked up there ^^^^^ some people will always see a conspiracy, and then go out of their way to insult mods and admins. As far as I can see, the matter is closed - but somehow I doubt it will be that simple :wink:

Gary5321:
V3.0.8

Doesnā€™t work for me. You must have a hacked version or something. :confused: