Personal insurance higher as an hgv driver?!

So had a fall out today with insurance broker as I was renewing my personal insurance on my wee caddy van. The premium was taking a sudden jump because I have a new career as an hgv driver. Bloody ridiculous go and do more theory cpc tests etc and apparently we are higher risk than a care worker. Go figure

It’s a van that’s why

My insurance company wont cover me to drive other cars because of my job. It makes no sense but at least I can use my no claims bonus on both cars and I have like for like modifications ie anything I declare on one car I can do to the other

Just one of the many scams within the insurance industry, like been screwed for twenty old pounds plus when you change vehicles… its just a simple case of punching a few keys in a system…
Few years ago I couldn’t believe what the difference is with my car premium between getting a quote for being unemployed and the same as being a house-husband and yes when I changed careers from an office job to managers job the price went up… plus you have all these 18 years plus no claims protected and yet your insurance is climbing and not falling…bloody strange

She actually asked me how many miles I do a week in the lorry. I said whats that got to do with it I’m asking you to insure my van that I use for my daily half mile commute to work! Basically hung up got on the web gave my old job and getting a free meerkat. It’s just the moral behind it I think we are more skilled drivers yet what they think were more likely to fall asleep at the wheel?

The logic being if you do say 500miles a night then drive home your actualy more likely to be tired than normal jo public just driving half hour a day to the office. My insurance actually comes down year on year.

mattni:
Basically hung up got on the web gave my old job and getting a free meerkat.

Fingers crossed you never have to make a claim and they find out what your real job is, no pay out and you’re screwed.

Insurance companies are a joke where this is concerned.

I’m self employed private hire driver and pay a fortune for my insurance due to the nature of the job. What really got me was when my wife was changing her car with her insurance company they refused to cover me. I’d been covered previously with them. We took the policy off them and cancelled early with no charge. Apparently I’m a bigger risk than a normal driver. Their explanation was if I had access to the wifes car and my taxi broke I would use her for my taxi. At that stage I though it best to speak to a manager rather than a muppet making stuff up. The manager informed me im more likely to have an accident so I’m classed as a higher risk. That was answered with 14 years no claims bonus say different. Surely I would have more accidents doing the 60k + a year. As is I don’t so surely im a safer driver and a lower risk…yes sir you’re probably right but that’s the way we look at it.

Try other insurers. They’re not all like that.

Cornmarket Ins used to be Adelaide Ins give money off for HGV Drivers try em :slight_smile:

the way they look at it is if you have been driving for 9 hours each day you are more likely to be tired/hacked off/wanting to get home after sitting in traffic all day.

where as office bod bill drives for say an hour a day max.

andy12:
Cornmarket Ins used to be Adelaide Ins give money off for HGV Drivers try em :slight_smile:

Seconded! I am insured with these folks too and whatever quote I found anywhere else or on comparison sites, they beat it. Only beat it by about a tenner but I’m only 26 and they still beat it so I ain’t gonna complain. Plus when I changed cars, they still insured my mitsubishi l200 even though it is apparently classed as a van(?) Rather than a pickup, only cost me an extra £40 too whereas anywhere else wanted bloody £800 off me! Saved nearly £400 so well worth a look!

I use the title “Haulage Contractor” and it reduces the premium

Not lying at all. “Steering Wheel Attendant” was not listed as an option

Can’t complain about a free meerkat… :laughing: :laughing:

Insurance is a postcode lottery. When you purchase insurance you are typically locking in that price for the year. Within that time the stats can change for the worse or for the better. I guess HGV driving does make us better road users in this respect but at the same time we are also MAYBE more likely to fall asleep behind the wheel from an insurers perspective…

I had this once several years ago. Arguing it on the phone they said the quote was higher because we were likely to drive cars as part of our job. I pointed out the fact that very few wagons are car transporters and I’ve never driven one. Bit of tapping on the keyboard and the quote dropped £100.

My insurance for much of the last decade has been around the £180 mark fully comp for fairly new cars.

I wasn’t driving full time when i looked at the Adelaide quote last year. Will probably give them a try this year. I used to work in the motor trade and my insurance has come down since i began working as a hgv driver. Reduced another £28 when i moved away from Blackburn

Never been overcharged on car or motorcycle insurance in 26 years just for being an HGV driver, as for adelade, all they could manage to save me on my quote was £1, wasn’t worth the hassle changing.

Go for a company that rewards LGV drivers with their private insurance

cornmarketinsurance.co.uk/i … insurance/

We’ve tailored car insurance deals for teacher, professional truck and bus drivers, motorcyclists and IAM members.

scanny77:
My insurance company wont cover me to drive other cars because of my job. It makes no sense but at least I can use my no claims bonus on both cars and I have like for like modifications ie anything I declare on one car I can do to the other

Mine does :slight_smile: