Perkins V8 Scania

I am a new contributor to the TruckNet forum so I apologise for the reply to this subject being about 10 years too late. I was an apprentice mechanic for Magnet Joinery in the early 70’s and we ran a lot of Leyland Mastiffs with the Perkins V8. Perkins used to deliver engines direct to our workshops because of problems with them. One day I recollect that the delivery was made with a Scania tractor unit with a Perkins badge and I asked the driver if it was a joke but he told me that the Scania was being used as a test bed for a larger V8 that was being developed by Perkins. That’s as much as I know about the Perkins engined Scania. I wonder if the Scania in the picture was that truck?

Just to clear this up, the Scania was being used to test the turbocharged Perkins V8 640 engine. Perkins also used two withdrawn AEC Mandator V8 chassis, one from Ron Sinclair’s fleet and the other an ex CAV Fuel Systems test bed. The Perkins V8 640 engine was road tested in both turbocharged and naturally aspirated forms.

ERF:
Just to clear this up, the Scania was being used to test the turbocharged Perkins V8 640 engine. Perkins also used two withdrawn AEC Mandator V8 chassis, one from Ron Sinclair’s fleet and the other an ex CAV Fuel Systems test bed. The Perkins V8 640 engine was road tested in both turbocharged and naturally aspirated forms.

And what were the conclusions of the tests?

andrew.s:

ERF:

And what were the conclusions of the tests?

Just found a few old clippings from the 70’s and wondered if anyone knows anything about this one :confused: I just clipped out the picture but not the text :unamused:

I wonder if it went as well as a K series Dodge :wink: …And Broke down as many times :laughing: :laughing:

That’s a surprise, never knew Scania used any Perkins. :confused:

I am fairly sure this engine would not have been fitted by Scania.
I do remember Sammy Williams from Barking fitting one with a ■■■■■■■ engine and Scania threatening them with court action if they did not remove the Scania badges.

oh yes scania did fit it it became the scania v8 .scania took over the v8 perkins motor a perfected it :sunglasses:
i think the first scania with the v8 was the 140, then 141 and so on :sunglasses:

I thought Scania developed their 14 litre V8 themselves. That would make more sense to me as the truck in that picture has a ‘N’ registration which would date it to 1974/5. Scania’s V8 was launched at 350 bhp in 1969 in the 140 range.

lug84:
oh yes scania did fit it it became the scania v8 .scania took over the v8 perkins motor a perfected it :sunglasses:
i think the first scania with the v8 was the 140, then 141 and so on :sunglasses:

Scania developed their V8 from the AEC V8,just as they developed the straight 6 from a Leyland 680 by putting a turbo on it.
Just as DAF used to use the Leyland 680,then they began to work on it,as fitted to th 2600 as shown in my Avatar.Then worked on it until it was unrecognisable as the original,but to hear one coming down the road,well,you would never forget the sound of a Leyland 680 if you’ve heard one before.
British engineering was lost abroad years ago!

bestbooties:

lug84:

Scania developed their V8 from the AEC V8,just as they developed the straight 6 from a Leyland 680 by putting a turbo on it.
Just as DAF used to use the Leyland 680,then they began to work on it,as fitted to th 2600 as shown in my Avatar.Then worked on it until it was unrecognisable as the original,but to hear one coming down the road,well,you would never forget the sound of a Leyland 680 if you’ve heard one before.
British engineering was lost abroad years ago!

I’m surprised to hear that, didnt AEC abandon their V8 as it was a bag of ■■■?(I assume it’s the one they fitted to the ergo cabbed mandators)
I know what you mean with the sound of a 680 though, one of them up through
the gears is automotive ■■■■ for the ears
Have a look at this clip

youtube.com/watch?v=Gt0cjKtw8GY
I think its the 7 or 8th truck through, old scammell cheesegrater. that’s a 680.

and here in a fleetline bus
youtube.com/watch?v=qke8MzW_REQ