Periodic CPC

Have been sitting my periodic CPC this week at Peter Smythes before I do my C+E next week. I’d already got initial until 2020, but hell it was free and I was not working so thought why not!

It’s the first week that Peter has run his new Driver Development CPC course and it isn’t at all what I was expecting. In a good way thankfully!

I had visions of death by PowerPoint when it came to CPC. We’ve all heard the stories of folk falling asleep and just being talked at for 7 hours a day, and a week of it in one go is a big ask!

Thankfully this course is different. Each day we look at scenarios and apply them to real life situations about the problems that drivers face, their welfare, security, health, the law, you name it its there. Chris the instructor has been spot on all week. It’s been really engaging and I’d be shocked if one person in the room couldn’t say they learned something. There’s been lots of humour and lots of discussion and debate which really makes the day go fast. Really well thought out course.

Well Done Peter, and id recommend anybody that had to do periodic hours to give it a go with an open mind, you might even enjoy it!

Courses run by LGV training companies tend to be much more engaging than those run by others

Have been sitting my periodic CPC this week at Peter Smythes before I do my C+E next week. I’d already got initial until 2020, but hell it was free and I was not working so thought why not!

Just to make it clear, the OP will end up with driver cpc until 2025 as a result. Provided the 35hrs is completed at ANY time during a current DQC it will extend the time by 5 years. (It does have to be within 5 years of the original expiry date).

It’s the first week that Peter has run his new Driver Development CPC course

It took months of negotiation with JAUPT (the accrediting body) to get the course passed. It’s anything but “death by powerpoint” and really involves everyone in the room.

Well Done Peter, and id recommend anybody that had to do periodic hours to give it a go with an open mind, you might even enjoy it!

Thanks for the kind comments and really pleased you’ve enjoyed it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When i do my training i only get 28 hours so i have 7 hours of ’ death by power point ’ to look forward to :cry:

Did the last 7 hours Today and it flew past again. Very fun day again, and plenty of interesting characters!

Did the last 7 hours Today and it flew past again. Very fun day again, and plenty of interesting characters!

Finally, some good news about driver cpc! Pleased you’ve enjoyed the week. Hopefully you’ve learned stuff as well that will help in the future. That’s what it’s all about.

Thanks for the comments,

I’ve learned not to try and outsmart Chris that’s for sure, man knows too much for that haha. Which is quite refreshing for CPC! I would say i definitely learned things and also re affirmed some assumptions I had made and removed ambiguity on other things. I also now know analogue charts shouldn’t be used for frisbees ( :laughing: :grimacing: )

In all seriousness I hope others that do the course feel the same and that it continues to be a success.

You can give me that £20 on Tuesday…! :laughing: :laughing:

Well, I only finished the CPC at 4pm on Friday and at 8am this morning the shiny new DQC landed on the mat so that’s me covered until October 2025.

A little confused as to why another card has come as I was under the impression that they didn’t issue the new one until the previous was due to expire in October 2020 but hey ho, I’m bound to lose it or destroy it in nearly the next 10 years!

NickW88:
Well, I only finished the CPC at 4pm on Friday and at 8am this morning the shiny new DQC landed on the mat so that’s me covered until October 2025.

A little confused as to why another card has come as I was under the impression that they didn’t issue the new one until the previous was due to expire in October 2020 but hey ho, I’m bound to lose it or destroy it in nearly the next 10 years!

The DQC simply has an expiry date so if you have almost 10 years dcpc then the card will reflect that

You will not get any more hours to count until november 2020 so do not do any until then

I’m led to believe there is a change coming in with regard to the issue of the 10 year card. Basically, nothing changes except that the long dated card will not be issued on completion of the 35 hours. But it will be issued for 5 years as the expiry of the first card approaches. This has come from EU.

So the additional training will be “banked” but this wont show immediately on a card. Presumably it’s still available to check online.