Perhaps this is it

Ok, had a “friend” call me up last night, he’s been an owner driver for about 3 years starting to see the upside of things now and he wants to move things on a bit. He has asked me to think as to whether i would be interested in working for him if he was to buy a unit and trailer. He does alot with agricultural side of things, so the harvest is the busiest. Anyway, seems to me that this is pretty much what i want to do, i want to be in the same wagon and have reliable work day to day. My only problem is this. Now saying it’s a problem makes me feel like crap but i know that i cannot expect this guy to work around me in as much as the timing of when he wants me to work, i have a little boy of 15 months and i really don’t want him in childcare. I have thought about taking him with me, but i really don’t think my little boy would sit that long he’d be screaming all the way after about 30 mins (needs to be active). He also asked me to think about everything, i.e what i want to be paid etc etc. so is asking to work from say 1 in the afternoon and do a 12-15 hour stint and being home everynight unreasonable?. At the moment also, he does quite a bit of tramping, this i couldn’t do just yet. I don’t know, it seems that i’m really being restrictive, but could i make it work for him and me? I seriously don’t think he would have bought it up if he couldn’t make it work. He also knows the kinda bird i am too where works concerned, i love my job and i always bend over backwards. I just don’t want to bend over backwards to much and break my back and my sons at the same time if ya get my drift.

I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Any advise or anything that you think i should think of then please reply.

Hi although it seems the ideal situation, i cannot seem to understand why you want to work from 1pm and then do a 12 to 15 hour stint…suppose after this shift he then needs you for an early shift the next morning…you couldnt do it…i would asume that child care is a problem…you would need to think that one out…perhaps friends could help…but if you started at 1pm and did a 12 hour shift…you would finish at 1am…a bit late to collect a child from a friend…and maybe later…its also not a good idea to take your child with you either…but perhaps a nursery could help there …but it would depend on your hours once again…there is no immediate solution…its entirely your own decision depending on circumstances…but i wish you luck…
regards bob

what about the father?or both sets of grandparents? :wink: wish you luck

You will have to expect him to work around your situation, he is offering you the job. Write down everything you need, to suit your situation, eg needing to be home everyday, make sure that he understands where you are coming from and why and that they would basically be your terms of employment. That way you can work out what you both need and if he can suit his operation to what you can do. There is no point in you saying, “Oh yes, I can do that, no problems”. Then a few of weeks later, after the truck is there and you have done a couple of weeks work, going to him and saying “I can’t do this because …”. That would cause you both a lot of problems.
It would be best to get all these sort of thing sorted beforehand.
If, at the end of that he withdraws the offer, what have you both lost? Very little in comparison to jumping in and then jumping back out.
Only my opinion. But I wouldn’t say no without discussing it with him first.

The best of luck with it.

Yep, like Simon says just write down exactly what you can and can’t do and then if he can find the work to fit round your schedule then he’ll offer you the job if not he won’t and no harm done.

i for one dont think you can tell the boss when you can work and when you cant ? for the simple reason he cant tell his client when he can deliver the goods ? can you imagine him on the phone sorry mate i cant deliver the load as my driver dont start till 1pm and you need it by 3pm ? and tiggz you said

He does alot with agricultural side of things

well im afraid most mills and feed plants close at 4 ish so the work would have to be local ?, and the truck wouldnt be able to earn its way as most aggri is worked out by the tonne deliverd, its a hard life when you cant tell the boss what you will work,can you imagine a production worker say making trucks telling his boss i cant do nine till five but i can do ten till three ?

Kids come first in my book Tiggz,that’s it…

Tiggs, Speaking from experience … DON’T work for a good friend because one day sooner or later it will ruin the friendship :exclamation: :exclamation:

forgot that one pat ! o go on your a mate thing ?

oddsodz:
i for one dont think you can tell the boss when you can work and when you cant ?

Blimey, it`s a time traveller from 1985!!!

Vince

tartanraider:
Kids come first in my book Tiggz,that’s it…

and in my book - don’t miss your son growing up