Perfect cab for tramping?

I’ve just been reading in another thread, the slaggings off of the much beloved Merc Actros Fatgit cab and it got me doing the dangerous thing of thinking.

I work as a relief driver* for a company running containers out of Britain’s (alleged) Premier Port. Yeah - right oh :unamused:

This means that I drive (tramping) a different truck more or less week by turn.

By and large the fleet/contract is Volvo, Merc, MAN, with a few of these new DAF 105(?) - oh, and I noticed a couple of Scania the other week, but haven’t yet had one.

I can’t tell you about the techy/deiselsmoke stuff. They’re all high roof tramping cabs. Other than that - “I only drive the ■■■■■■ thing” is my view. (to a point :wink: )

Sooooooooo

I was thinking . . . .

I’d start with the Actros as base, but I’d want to nick and borrow bits from the others. I quite like Granny’s 30s sideboard as the dash. It’s perfect with the pockets and cubbyholes for two of my most important bits of kit - Kitchen timer and my mobli. They sit in the two cup holders next the wheel, so are visible and reachable.

I actually quite like the gearbox - once I’d learned the new Actros mantra that is “Gimme a ■■■■■■ gear, you [zb]” as I negotiated complicated donuts trying to avoid those that don’t actually “drive” their vehicles :blush:

But I would want to add. . . . . . . .

the comfort shift button from the MAN so as to not need the clutch

the mirror control from MAN, so I could adjust all 4 main mirrors. (In fact, when I had a smaller MAN, I could even adjust 5 :open_mouth: but that’s just the cynic in me :wink: )

But I’d have the actual mirrors from the Volvo. I’m aware of the feeling regarding blind spots, but I’m happy to incorporate a bit of bobbing and weaving of the head into my incab fizzical excercise regime :laughing:

I’d keep the Merc cruise control so I didn’t have to reset/resume after gear change AND it remembers overnight where it was set the previous day. (Bonus for a lazy git like me)

(I’d remove the new “driver blame” mirror from all marques)

Top bunks would also be removed from all marques. Gives me more room to run around when I’m “entertaining” visitors.

I’d change the bottom draw under the bunk for a fridge - DAF 10 stylee.

The “computer/into system” in the dash, I’m undecided about. I like the Actros, but I’ve found the Volvo both entertaining and informative. (A bit like the BBC ■■? :confused: :confused: )

And of course, the exhaust/engine break system of choice would be Volvo. You can really put the wind up tailgaters with that one. Better when not loaded/light loaded :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Night time comfort panel would be a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ from MAN and Merc, complete with dimmer switches for the internal lights - it sets a much more romantic atmosphere when entertaining. But it would be up on the bulkhead, rather than below the bunk as in the MAN.

Bunk width would be either Merc or MAN. I find the Volvos far too skinny if I’m visited by a lady of larger proportion (apparently you can’t say fatbird in this day and age)

That’s about as much as I can remember sat here at home. More might come to mind next week :unamused:

Wadya reckon ■■?

How would you build your perfect cab ?

*relief driver - Employed fulltime on enhanched (almost laughable) wage and benefits, covering holidays, sick periods and odd days off. I think they have something against Agencies :confused: :confused: :confused:

In my opinion MAN have put the “night panel” in the most ridiculous place possible. So when ferretting about in the dark for the night heater or window switches, you’re precariously close to the handbrake. :unamused: :unamused:
And the curtains are barely wide enough to go around the cab, having those extra windows in the side panels.
I like the nice wide bunk though, no trouble sleeping on that.

I think the fridge should be standard in a MAN, not an optional extra.

Oh yeah, and a drivers side window sun blind would be nice :exclamation:

The truck is typical ERF build quality with a MAN badge, although I do like the nice big mirrors.

Personally I prefer the Stralis, for many reasons.

This one :smiley:

I think you’d be better off changing the title to “perfect cab for shagging” :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

There’s a difference ■■?

But seriously tho’ - I used to love MAN, but the thing that annoys me most atm is the bluddy lack of “protection” from the sun. As mentioned, there isn’t even a side shade on either side; and it’s virtually impossible to get out of the sun due to the gap in the front blinds.

So I would like to include the shades from an older Daf I used to drive. Sort of a rollerblind thing, including drivers AND passenger side. Obviously I’d like them to be powered :blush:

Big Truck:
I think you’d be better off changing the title to “perfect cab for shagging” :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

merc 817 you can shove a few bits of wood under the suspension units to stop it rocking :wink:

:smiley: Extended XF cab of course with some extras would be nice too. Microwave, sink, hot and cold water, roof top air-con or similar etc.

dambuster:
. Sort of a rollerblind thing, including drivers AND passenger side. Obviously I’d like them to be powered :blush:

Like the Magnum you mean? The best one I’ve driven over the last few years, apart from that arm wrenching chuck-it-across gear box of course. :smiling_imp:
And why, having powered the excellent screen blind, didn’t they do the same to the nearside one as well?