pensions

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:
only that my current work place pention only lets me pay in upto £42.35 a week

That sounds a bit peculiar to me:
Do you mean that is an absolute limit on what can be paid in?
Or that the company will match your contribution up to that amount, but no more?

Take free advice from the Gov site, first of all. Follow the links, as appropriate to you, for approved advisors.

The vast majority of us dont have the knowledge, resources, nor time, to match the professional investors employed by pension funds. We cant spread risk as they do by consolidating many investors monies and spreading it more widely than an individual can. Don`t forget the 25% boost from the Gov when paying into a pension pot.

its to do with the upper earnings threshold of £50,270

sorry i took the amount i paid last week as gosple as i had holliday pay etc real figure is 5% of £50270 = £2513.5 / 52 = £48.34

£50,270 per annum, is when higher taxes are paid.
However, Higher tax payers can claim the higher rates back on pension contributions.

Read this,
“Member contributions
There’s no limit on the amount that an individual can contribute to a registered pension scheme. If you’re a UK resident aged under 75 you may receive tax relief on your contributions to registered pension schemes.
Tax relief is limited to relief on contributions up to the higher of:
100% of your UK taxable earnings
£3,600”

gov.uk/government/publicati … %20schemes.

BUT get professional advice.

thepensionsregulator.gov.uk … on-scheme-

Staff earnings

When you work out how much to pay into your pension scheme you need to know what staff earnings to use in your calculation. This will depend on the type of scheme you choose.

If you pay the minimum of 8%, you will need to base your calculation on a specific range of earnings. For the 2022/23 tax year this range is between £6,240 and £50,270 a year (£520 and £4,189 a month, or £120 and £967 a week). These figures are reviewed each year by the government.

cooper1203:
Making contributions to your pension scheme | The Pensions Regulator

Staff earnings

When you work out how much to pay into your pension scheme you need to know what staff earnings to use in your calculation. This will depend on the type of scheme you choose.

If you pay the minimum of 8%, you will need to base your calculation on a specific range of earnings. For the 2022/23 tax year this range is between £6,240 and £50,270 a year (£520 and £4,189 a month, or £120 and £967 a week). These figures are reviewed each year by the government.

Sorry then, I thought you were an employee/a driver, not an employer.

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Staff earnings

way i read that is that regardless of who pays it on my behalf or if i choose to pay it myself rather than it being deducted at source is if i earnt 120 a week i could choose to pay £6 quid (5%) or £48.34 (40.2%) anything over that assuming the employer is paying the minimum wouldnt be eligable

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Staff earnings

way i read that is that regardless of who pays it on my behalf or if i choose to pay it myself rather than it being deducted at source is if i earnt 120 a week i could choose to pay £6 quid (5%) or £48.34 (40.2%) anything over that assuming the employer is paying the minimum wouldnt be eligable

I really can`t see what you are saying. Reading about employers obligations is not helping you.
You can pay 100% of your annual earnings into an approved scheme, (up to £40k) and get tax relief on it.

Get professional advice.

Don’t chase the tax breaks. They are no longer worth such a chase.

Invest a little money, keep doing it, don’t take it out early, and lump in extra on top only when the market is down, not merely when you think you can afford it.

90% of the profits - come from buying at a low price from which the only way is up for your investments.

“Hoping the market will be higher one day” - is a lot easier to achieve - from such a low base that way.

The flaw in “trickle-investing” is that if the stock market is on the up for the first 15-20 years of your 30-40 year plan, and then goes into gradual long-term decline - you’ll STILL end up with less than you put in, less inflation taken off of THAT.

A gambler like me - would argue that "If you’re forced to take such long-term risks, then why not confront “Risk” more head on, and invest in those markets that have the lowest overheads and the highest profit potential…

Proper exchange-traded products.

Don’t do anything through an unregulated, and especially “Internet Only” outfit.

There are plenty of firms in this country who will take on clients with around £50k-£100k to play with, buying and selling everyday commodities that we’ve all heard of, rather than trying to trade misty faraway company shares that may disappear overnight, and take all your cash with them.

I don’t mind taking “Market Risk”, but I REFUSE to take “Integrity Risk”.

If I buy something, and it drops in price - that’s a risk I’m prepared to take.
I don’t have to sell it to take that hit, - I can hang onto it for as long as it takes to come right.
I’ll spread my money around several investments, so one or two of them collapsing - doesn’t bust my account.

If I open an account with an “unregulated” micky mouse broker, and they run off with my cash the moment I attempt a drawdown of that huge profit I made on paper - that’s NOT a risk I’m prepared to take.

“Segregated Funds”

“Member of Financial Conduct Authority” (Absolute must - this one!)

“Has a brick-and-mortal office you can go to, sit down and talk with someone at”.

Don’t take a firm’s word for it they ARE “regulated”. Check WITH the regulator - to make sure they are on the list of bona-fide brokers that you can trust…

“Financial Advice” is best done by your own research. Why let someone else take risks FOR you, if you’re really trying to skirt risk, rather than just face it head-on by your own decision-making process?

“I don’t recommend you invest in the market at this time Mr Bloggs. You can open an account with us, which pays no interest, whilst you wait an indeterminate amount of time for an opportunity to enter the market to arise… That’ll be £1700 FInancial Advice Fee Please!”

A more reputable broker might say:
“We don’t let people open accounts here - unless they can demonstrate to us they know what they are doing”.

“Have you ever owned investments before Mr Bloggs?”
“Yes.”
“Have you ever sold shares for a profit?”
“Yes”.
“Have you ever sold shares for a LOSS?”
“Yes”.

That latter point - is perhaps more important than the ones before.
If you’ve ever lost money investing, then you have some hard and serious experience that starry-eyed “Beginners” just do NOT have.

Mr Bloggs saying “Yes” to those three questions above - is enough to render them an “Intermediate Investor” rather than “A complete Beginner”.

Even the con-outfits will give you the standard risk warning that “Warning - Most investors aim to trade rather than invest, and most traders end up LOSING money”.
(The risk is higher, because with “Trading” - you want a quick profit, and will take a quick loss it doesn’t come right straight away)
With “Investing for income” - it helps if you buy, and the price falls - because you’ve got the dividend nailed down, you have no intention of selling in the short term anyways, and you’re looking to trickle ADD in future, so, if anything - the lower the price goes after you’ve bought your first lump - the better! (just not to “zero” of course!)

“Execution Only” accounts can start with around £10,000 balances
“Advisory” accounts - need around £25,000.

The former give no advice, but cheaper transaction charges.

The latter will warn you, give you tips, steer you away from dodgy deals, but will charge a management fee - even if you spend the entire financial year sitting on the sidelines, with your money languishing at zero interest on their client account…

You cannot open an account with the same expectations of a bank cheque account, with a week’s wages to start, and then simply “trickle money into it”.
Lump sums in, don’t draw out dribs and drabs for the best performance.
Leave dividends paid into the account to purchase further investments if you can.
Make use of the “Nominee Account System” to keep your overhead charges down, and (more importantly) the ability to buy and sell shares at a mouse-click, rather than have to sign forms etc. as would be the case if you wanted say, a share certificate sent to your home… “Nominee Account” - is a MUST for the armchair investor, of course…

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Staff earnings

I really can`t see what you are saying. Reading about employers obligations is not helping you.
You can pay 100% of your annual earnings into an approved scheme, (up to £40k) and get tax relief on it.

Get professional advice.

my point is it doesnt matter who pays the money in the limit is the limit. let me put it this way … i am going on holiday to vietnam in jan i can only take a maximum of 15,000,000 dong in with me in cash. This is 500 pounds it matters not where i got the money from weather i saved it or borrowed it or was given it then maximum is 500 pounds

cooper1203:
my point is it doesnt matter who pays the money in the limit is the limit. let me put it this way … i am going on holiday to vietnam in jan i can only take a maximum of 15,000,000 dong in with me in cash. This is 500 pounds it matters not where i got the money from weather i saved it or borrowed it or was given it then maximum is 500 pounds

If the limit is an issue: ie you are planning in putting in more than 100% of your annual income/£40,000 then my point stands.
Get professional advice.

Winseer:
Don’t chase the tax breaks. They are no longer worth such a chase.

25% instant return is in your opinion, not worth the zero effort involved in getting it?

OK, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
And I have an opinion, about the value of your opinion.

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Staff earnings

Get professional advice.

Coop. You’re absolutely wrong.
What you looked up was a site telling employers what they HAD to pay i.e. minimum 3% of their employees salary until that salary reaches £50,270, then they don’t have to pay anymore.

As Franglais says, you can put 100% of your earnings into a pension, up to £40,000 p.a.
gov.uk/tax-on-your-private-pension

A company could put 40 grand into a director’s pension (claim full tax relief)(would not be taxable benefit on the director) but the company does not have to pay so much by law.