Penrith truck park closure?

Noticed this in our weekend paper i know its not a big park buts it a keyfuels site and changeover place plus a lot of local firms park in there

RETAIL PARK PLAN APPEAL?

DEVELOPERS seeking to build a retail park in’ Penrith featuring a Homebase and Pizza Hut have appealed to the Secretary of State against what they say is Eden District Council’s failure to determine the application.
Terrace Hill (North East) Limited and Davidsons Junction 40 Limited are behind plans to breathe new life into an area of land off Ullswater Road, between Cranston’s and AIdi; which is currently used as a lorry park.
An outline application for the scheme, which would include a 2,323sqm Homebase store, a 340sqm Pizza Hut. restaurant, a landscaped area and a 258-space car park, was submitted to Eden Council’s planning department.
However, as the . applicants have appealed to the Secretary of State, the issue could now go to a public inquiry.
Because of that, members of Eden Council’s planning applications com¬mittee were asked at a meeting on Thursday what decision they would

So it looks like another place is going to bite the dust

Out of touch with trucks stops now but is it not owned by the same lot who had BIRTLEY & ALCONBERRY
Out & back nightshift now & Judging by every ■■■■ & cranny filled up withtrucks parked up overnight I reckon It`s getting to braking piont & was time somebody out there did something about it :angry: :angry:

it is time summik was done…

how about instead of finding parking on an evening.everyone just finds the local town hall and parks up right outside the gaff.

until these morons in local office realise what the truck driver has to put up with.and does something constructive to help the problem.

NOT sell every truckstop they can. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Am I reading this right? Is it ‘Penrith Truckstop’ which is danger of closing?? established c.1981.
Surely not.

it is ex BP now owned by Jenkinson who do haulage

hitch:
it is ex BP now owned by Jenkinson who do haulage

Right. I remember it before it was BP ! It was , so far as I am aware independently owned and apart from the Ca rlisle ‘Truck Inn’ it was really the only civilised option for drivers in that, or many other necks of the woods in the early eighties.

I remember the red triangular sticker with a huge PENRITH TRUCK STOP emblazoned upon many a wagon - a novelty back then. Anyone else remember these or am I fast becoming a museum piece?

One little anecdote: a mate of mine was having sausage , egg and chips (probably) in there one night and a driver asked him where he was making for '“Ullapool” Tom Replied.

'Oh, not too bad then mate,you’ll be home in an ‘our annanarf’

He’d mis-heard, thinking it was Liverpool - he didn’t know where Ullapool was ! :slight_smile:
If this plac eis for the axe it’s a disgrace.

The sad thing is that the value of the land & the profit it will make for the owners far outweighs the take in bar ,truckpark & garage ,which can’t be a lot after paying the staffs’ wages. Its crap for truckers but its called good business for investors.

wrong one guys …its straight on at the round about …not jenks…the other one …jct 40 truck stop …

Its not the Penrith truckstop (Jenkinsons) its the small park over the roundabout where Davidsons garage is, about thirty truck parking spaces as Marky said, sorry for the confusion i reccon the jenks truckstop is safe

I always park at Davidsons if I’m bound to or from Scotland and it’ll be a real shame if this little truck park is going to be closed down in the name of yet more clone projects. As we all know, parking in this country is a pure disgrace already. I dont have the answers but I’d like to see something in law that places areas used for HGV parking as protected areas, free from willy-nilly development. One thing is for sure, no one should have to put their life in risk and park for the night in a lay-by right off the side of the road with trucks roaring past at 50-55mph only feet away.