Peninsular and Oriental [Merged]

P&O are suspending all operations.

kentonline.co.uk/dover/news … wekkJ2fWSU

Yes allegedly going to make all staff immediately redundant and replace them with agency staff who are already waiting on the port…

Absolutely should not be allowed to happen and staff should sit in on the boats and do whatever they need to do to stay on board…

Just read on teletext news that all ships are ordered to stay in port. The RMT union claims that crews are going to sacked and replaced by cheaper eastern labour.Absolutely outrageous.

Most of the stuff being posted online is speculation. Nothing is going to announced until this afternoon. Other speculative things mentioned online include the scrapping of the Dover to calais routes

It’s a bit more than speculation P&O cancels services with 800 workers fired

Company looks to being re-registered overseas. Been told only UK staff remaining are onshore staff, not including the HQ.

For Far East workers if the company gets registed in the UAE and the workers reside there as Ex-Pats, no minimum wage applies, so they can pay them as little as they are willing to work for if they remain onboard and are flown to and from on charter flights to where they reside, then they don’t come under UK or EU employment Law. Offshore staff would be paid in AED if it is the UAE.

That is what I have been told. We will see from the annocuement. Irish Ferries have already gone down this road, flying crews in and out.

The government had a chance to at least have a say in this buy they refused to give a bailout during Covid presumably because its not a green initiative or a bank and is only critical import/export infrastructure instead…

The Dover to Calais route is a liability to use now anyway.I’d prefer to use the western channel crossings.I guess Brittany Ferries will be happy.
Although my guess is that there will be no place for foreign private car travel or euro truck movements in the agenda 30 nightmare utopia.It will be the choice of use the channel tunnel rail link or nothing.
Although not sure if they’re saying that the service will keep going using cheaper crews or its closing down ?.

toonsy:
The government had a chance to at least have a say in this buy they refused to give a bailout during Covid presumably because its not a green initiative or a bank and is only critical import/export infrastructure instead…

The government are invested in the channel tunnel.Which is a loss maker and it knows a lot of people won’t use by choice so they’ll view anything which removes the choice of using ferries as a good thing.

This is serious Carryfast

Please STFU on things you know nothing about:-

You have never driven an HGV onto a ferry to mainland Europe (or probably never done a proper day’s work)

Many of us here have not only regularly used ferries with our wagons, BUT also are/were skilled Seafarers/Officers/Captains before driving wagons into Europe.

Quite worrying news with this company. A dreadful way for a company to treat its staff. Sack your staff and bring in cheap foreign labour. Or a third party contractor as they put it.

I’m going to assume that Dover is going to have some issues…
I heard earlier that some staff were refusing to leave their work stations…

RogerOut:
Quite worrying news with this company. A dreadful way for a company to treat its staff. Sack your staff and bring in cheap foreign labour. Or a third party contractor as they put it.

I’m going to assume that Dover is going to have some issues…
I heard earlier that some staff were refusing to leave their work stations…

Disgraceful tactics I hope folk boycott them

I would suggest taking a cautious approach with the Officers:-

At the height of the Carlist Wars Carlist Wars - Wikipedia the British lent their support to the legitimate heirs of Spain and Portugal and all three of P&O founders played their part, from gun running to chartering steamers.

As a consequence of this association and involvement P&O officers are the only Merchant Navy officers entitled to wear swords. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I hope that the staff who refused to leave the ships scuttle them instead.

whisperingsmith:
As a consequence of this association and involvement P&O officers are the only Merchant Navy officers entitled to wear swords. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I love quirky stuff like that ^^^^ thanks for sharing.

the maoster:

whisperingsmith:

I love quirky stuff like that ^^^^ thanks for sharing.

Pork swords :wink:

the maoster:
I hope that the staff who refused to leave the ships scuttle them instead.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The government might scuttle em,sounds like it come out of the blue and nobody knew,government not impressed especially after they took all that furlough money,ministers were queuing up to slate P&O this afternoon on radio.

The is UK PLC… I’m afraid everything is business. To hell with its staff.

Fat cat shareholders on six figure salaries don’t give a stuff about its work force.

Bringing in cheaper foreign labour to do jobs for less.

Where have we heard that before eh ■■

There are already companies here offering jobs to Ukraine refugees.

So there must be a reason why British people aren’t doing these jobs… oh wait a minute…

RogerOut:

Fat cat shareholders on six figure salaries don’t give a stuff about its work force.

So there must be a reason why British people aren’t doing these jobs… oh wait a minute…

They wont be able to pay the refugees less than the minimum wage

RogerOut:

its not uk plc its dubai plc they are owned by dp world