Peak District.

I’m just warning everyone in advance that Punchy Dan might not be posting on this thread for a while. :confused: He is taking advice from Carryfast on the Professional Drivers section, and has realised that all these years he has been trading he has been doing everything wrong. :blush: The Great Man from Surrey is re-educating him though, and I’m sure that Dan will see the error of his ways eventually, but the course looks like being a ‘ten pager’ and they are only on page four as I write this! :unamused: Hopefully he will return to us when time allows, and will be a reformed character. :wink:

Pete.

Ste46:
Moose - further to your posts about Neville Dumptrailers, this was my steed from many years ago. I have posted them on here before.

Steve

James Hare had one of those stumpy trailers, as a sort of a standby, not sure whether it was a Neville or a Welford product, Needless to say, behind one of Jimmys Scania 110s it looked proper daft!

windrush:
I’m just warning everyone in advance that Punchy Dan might not be posting on this thread for a while. :confused: He is taking advice from Carryfast on the Professional Drivers section, and has realised that all these years he has been trading he has been doing everything wrong. :blush: The Great Man from Surrey is re-educating him though, and I’m sure that Dan will see the error of his ways eventually, but the course looks like being a ‘ten pager’ and they are only on page four as I write this! :unamused: Hopefully he will return to us when time allows, and will be a reformed character. :wink:

Pete.

There’s no end in sight with that man ffs :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

There’s no end in sight with that man ffs :unamused:

If I were Carryfast I’d withdraw my facilities forthwith! My experience with hauliers from anywhere north of Birmingham has been rather negative when it comes to settling their accounts. Just saying.

This pic appeared on Facebook, I remember it hanging on the wall in the Grouse and Claret pub at Rowsley before it was refurbished. Truck is a Saurer of Knight Brothers.

Pete.

windrush:
This pic appeared on Facebook, I remember it hanging on the wall in the Grouse and Claret pub at Rowsley before it was refurbished. Truck is a Saurer of Knight Brothers.

Pete.

That’s a good one Pete :smiley: I remember The last Mr Knight ringing our house one day in the early 90s asking what these E320 ■■■■■■■ were like ,he then bought an Irish E14 and I thought it was the same one my a Dad went to view at measham auctions he spoke to the owner in Ireland who had the best out of it not sure if he had to rebuild it .

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

That’s a good one Pete :smiley: I remember The last Mr Knight ringing our house one day in the early 90s asking what these E320 ■■■■■■■ were like ,he then bought an Irish E14 and I thought it was the same one my a Dad went to view at measham auctions he spoke to the owner in Ireland who had the best out of it not sure if he had to rebuild it .

Things haven’t moved on very much Dan’l as that outfit of Knights is not a lot different from your Foden & trailer set up ! :open_mouth: Denzil.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

I believe that it was a Mrs Marsden who later ran it Dan, I know a couple of lads who drove for her and she liked her ‘pound of flesh’ from them! :laughing: Nothing left of their place now apart from a pile of rubble. :cry: If Denzil had been born just ten years earlier he could have been riding shotgun on something like that instead of that Octopus, cab looks more comfortable as well.

Pete.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

I believe that it was a Mrs Marsden who later ran it Dan, I know a couple of lads who drove for her and she liked her ‘pound of flesh’ from them! :laughing: Nothing left of their place now apart from a pile of rubble. :cry: If Denzil had been born just ten years earlier he could have been riding shotgun on something like that instead of that Octopus, cab looks more comfortable as well.

Pete.

Didn’t Knights have a bit of a yard between Beeley and Rowsley? Very often a powder tank parked in there on a weekend.

Chris Webb:
Didn’t Knights have a bit of a yard between Beeley and Rowsley? Very often a powder tank parked in there on a weekend.

That was there yard Chris, old derelict trucks abandoned everywhere in sheds and out in the yard. They also had a petrol station that I used occasionally and a hire car business. All demolished now.

Pete.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

That was there yard Chris, old derelict trucks abandoned everywhere in sheds and out in the yard. They also had a petrol station that I used occasionally and a hire car business. All demolished now.

Pete.

I didn’t realise that was their usual yard Pete.I do recall seeing more wagons in there when running past in the late 60s via Chatsworth Park en route to Firth - Derihons Darley Dale with billets from SPT Templeborough. That road soon had a weight limit put on it ,Duke and Duchess weren’t wagon fans,so had to go via Bakewell.I think that Knights had a lass driving for them…

Hi, You lads are certainly bringing back some fond memories for me, my uncle got me into lorries when I used to go with him in his Comma two stroke out of what was then Hinchcliffs at Alport near Youlgrave (Shining Bank Quary), later taken over by Thomas Wards, I started driving a Guy for Toft Brothers and Tomlinson of Darley Dale, when they shut down I went to Matlock Transport, from them to Joseph Hoyles who ran out of Tofts old premises before Matlock Transport took it over, I then worked for an owner driver from Mansfield who ran to the Middle East for Redcliffe Roadways for two years before starting on my own, to start with I ran fluorspar into Glebe Mine at Stoney Middleton then did local quarry work out of Tarmac and a bit for B.J.Waters carrying coal. Started on my own with a Leyland Reiver and finished with a Volvo F10.
I remember Norde very well making the rubber suspension , I heard all the stories of the first lorry they built, how powerful it was!! Norde moved from Darley Dale to somewhere down near Northampton I think.
I remember the Steal Peech and Tozer lorries continuously running though Bakewell from Dowlow or Steetleys at Buxton to the steel works in Rotherham, one lost his brakes and crashed into the shop at the bottom of the hill just before the town center in Bakewell.
Steve

Birdie4x4:
Hi, You lads are certainly bringing back some fond memories for me, my uncle got me into lorries when I used to go with him in his Comma two stroke out of what was then Hinchcliffs at Alport near Youlgrave (Shining Bank Quary), later taken over by Thomas Wards, I started driving a Guy for Toft Brothers and Tomlinson of Darley Dale, when they shut down I went to Matlock Transport, from them to Joseph Hoyles who ran out of Tofts old premises before Matlock Transport took it over, I then worked for an owner driver from Mansfield who ran to the Middle East for Redcliffe Roadways for two years before starting on my own, to start with I ran fluorspar into Glebe Mine at Stoney Middleton then did local quarry work out of Tarmac and a bit for B.J.Waters carrying coal. Started on my own with a Leyland Reiver and finished with a Volvo F10.
I remember Norde very well making the rubber suspension , I heard all the stories of the first lorry they built, how powerful it was!! Norde moved from Darley Dale to somewhere down near Northampton I think.
I remember the Steal Peech and Tozer lorries continuously running though Bakewell from Dowlow or Steetleys at Buxton to the steel works in Rotherham, one lost his brakes and crashed into the shop at the bottom of the hill just before the town center in Bakewell.
Steve

Steve,I went to Lady Manners 1953-56 and Sheffield Corporation had the school bus contract for Hope Valley,Froggatt and Calver villages.I remember vaguely tippers coming down that steep hill as we were going up. I certainly went up Church Street with my Albion Reiver in 1968 en route to Longton Staffs via Monyash.You have to go down A6 and turn right to Ashbourne now IIRC.

Chris you’re obviously a bit older than me, born in 52 and lived in Bakewell all my life.

This was the crash into Broughtons shop, now Costa Coffee.
Steve

Can anyone ID the Foden in trouble? Fairfield rd bridge late 60s.

Birdie4x4:
Chris you’re obviously a bit older than me, born in 52 and lived in Bakewell all my life.
Steve

Yes Steve I remember that incident.The wagon was one of Consolidated Land Services from Scunthorpe.
I can give you ten years then. :grimacing:
Incidentally,my grandad worked in office at Glebe Mines and Eyam Quarries,and before that he worked at a mine near Bretton called Ladywash.Did you know Nigel Bannerman,he drove for Glebe for a bit,had a Leyland Comet with a spherical tank.And an old schoolpal of mine called Freddy Morton RIP worked int transport office at Cavendish Mill.

Chris Webb:

Birdie4x4:
Steve

Yes Steve I remember that incident.The wagon was one of Consolidated Land Services from Scunthorpe.
Incidentally,my grandad worked in office at Glebe Mines and Eyam Quarries,and before that he worked at a mine near Bretton called Ladywash.Did you know Nigel Bannerman,he drove for Glebe for a bit,had a Leyland Comet with a spherical tank.And an old schoolpal of mine called Freddy Morton RIP worked int transport office at Cavendish Mill.

Not a bit surprised at that , I worked for a short while at Beswicks.Lime Works which was where CLS collected their loads . Guy Invincibles and their brakes were always smoking when they came in empty . It was well known that they flew down Taddington bypass like loonies , new road at Ashford wasn’t built so would have to crawl through the village if they could slow down enough , hence the Bakewell crash .

rigsby:

Chris Webb:

Birdie4x4:
Steve

Not a bit surprised at that , I worked for a short while at Beswicks.Lime Works which was where CLS collected their loads . Guy Invincibles and their brakes were always smoking when they came in empty . It was well known that they flew down Taddington bypass like loonies , new road at Ashford wasn’t built so would have to crawl through the village if they could slow down enough , hence the Bakewell crash .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Mullans from Chesterfield were same coming down Taddington Dave,bloody crackers.

Can you remember before the road was straightened coming down from the Highwayman , there was a narrow bridge where two of Mullans arrived neck and neck , out of stick and both finished up in the fields . I reckon once the bridge was flattened it was easy to bypass it . when Grin quarry was reopened all the coal dumped there in the 60s had to go . There were 3 of Mullans Rievers tipping off overloads , the end one went over and took the other 2 with it . It was rumoured that ex cons looking for work could always go to Mullans , no hgv license then of course .