PCV training

Hi all

I am aware that this is a forum for HGV drivers, but I was just wondering whether anybody knew of any training companies within the Staffordshire or West Midlands area who offer PCV courses and who are decent companies to train with.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

check your PM private message inbox

Anybody know if British HGV in Staffordshire are a good trainer to go with ■■

Cal_Gray:
Anybody know if British HGV in Staffordshire are a good trainer to go with ■■

There are on this list for LGV viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667#p503949

There’s “stock” advice to potential LGV candidates. This is along the lines of “always visit the trainer, look at the vehicles, avoid brokers”. The same applies to PCV though the brokers are not quite as active in this field.

I would add that you should definitely drive the vehicle before spending your money. Many - most - PCV training vehicles are well over 20 years old and are not very well maintained. You should NOT be struggling to locate and change gears. Look around until you find something you are happy to drive. Otherwise you’ll join the line of test fails who queue up at our door having found out the hard - and expensive - way.

Don’t believe pictures on websites. Photoshop is a wonderful thing but can be very misleading. Ask if that really is the training vehicle. Chances are it isn’t. But you’ll find out when you visit.

When getting prices, make sure the Mod 4 driver cpc element is fully included. Strange how some trainers “forget” to mention it!

All the best with your training and test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
There’s “stock” advice to potential LGV candidates. This is along the lines of “always visit the trainer, look at the vehicles, avoid brokers”. The same applies to PCV though the brokers are not quite as active in this field.

I would add that you should definitely drive the vehicle before spending your money. Many - most - PCV training vehicles are well over 20 years old and are not very well maintained. You should NOT be struggling to locate and change gears. Look around until you find something you are happy to drive. Otherwise you’ll join the line of test fails who queue up at our door having found out the hard - and expensive - way.

Don’t believe pictures on websites. Photoshop is a wonderful thing but can be very misleading. Ask if that really is the training vehicle. Chances are it isn’t. But you’ll find out when you visit.

When getting prices, make sure the Mod 4 driver cpc element is fully included. Strange how some trainers “forget” to mention it!

All the best with your training and test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

what he said lol great advice as always pete spot on +1

Bassett’s in Tittensor advertise it on their wagons.

However, they are a haulage company, with a seperate training department.

Saying that, I passed my class 2 and 1 with them, both first time, but I never saw a bus on the yard. Don’t know if they hire or loan them from somewhere.

When I eventually have the funds to “complete my full set” that’s who I’ll be contacting.

Peter Smythe in Mansfield , done my cat D with them in 2011 , very good setup , good vehicle, own test centre, as they say you get what you pay for.