PCV to LGV

I just passed my PCV but am not enjoying it. I enjoy the driving just not the passenger part. I have had far too many abusive people to deal with in a lifetime never mind 3 months so i was wondering about doing my LGV. After checking the DSA website i came across the following statement and needed some clarification.

If you hold a Driver CPC for either category C or D will you need to
take the extra parts for the other category?
Drivers who already hold a Driver CPC for one category of vehicle (i.e.
PCV or LGV) and wish to obtain a Driver CPC for the other category,
will need to take a Module 2 conversion test consisting of 10 case
studies with a total of 50 questions. Modules1, 3 and 4 will need to be
completed in full.

This makes no sense to me as firstly i thought that modules 1a and 1b were shared for both pcv and lgv.
Also the mod 2 test i thought was 7 parts and not 10.

Am i right in assuming the Following to add LGV to my license

Mod 1a (LGV)
Mod 1b (LGV)
Mod 2 Conversion Test
Mod 3 Practical Test
Mod 4 Practical

As a side note i was wondering If i passed in a Manual would this upgrade my PCV entitlement to manual as well as I am currently restricted to automatics… not that im likely to see either an automatic lorry or manual bus :slight_smile:

davie77`:
As a side note i was wondering If i passed in a Manual would this upgrade my PCV entitlement to manual as well as I am currently restricted to automatics… not that im likely to see either an automatic lorry or manual bus :slight_smile:

It will although the DVLA sometimes need reminding :slight_smile:

Reminding or retraining… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1a and 1b is the theory test, no?

a_b_c:
1a and 1b is the theory test, no?

Yes.

1 is the multiple choice and 1 is the hazard perception test.

Can’t remember which way round they are.

davie77`:
I just passed my PCV but am not enjoying it. I enjoy the driving just not the passenger part. I have had far too many abusive people to deal with in a lifetime never mind 3 months so i was wondering about doing my LGV. After checking the DSA website i came across the following statement and needed some clarification.

If you hold a Driver CPC for either category C or D will you need to
take the extra parts for the other category?
Drivers who already hold a Driver CPC for one category of vehicle (i.e.
PCV or LGV) and wish to obtain a Driver CPC for the other category,
will need to take a Module 2 conversion test consisting of 10 case
studies with a total of 50 questions. Modules1, 3 and 4 will need to be
completed in full.

This makes no sense to me as firstly i thought that modules 1a and 1b were shared for both pcv and lgv.
Also the mod 2 test i thought was 7 parts and not 10.

Am i right in assuming the Following to add LGV to my license

Mod 1a (LGV)
Mod 1b (LGV)
Mod 2 Conversion Test
Mod 3 Practical Test
Mod 4 Practical

I had same thing i had hgv then got pcv it will convert your pcv to manual if you pass in a hgv manual vehicle and I had same thing the conversion doesnt exist it is a whole new cpc unfortunately and that was confirmed by the dsa and the guy who actually wrote the whole cpc idea and course it was a complete new cpc but it will be a little bit easier considering you already done it hope this helps.
John

i went pcv(feb 2009) to lgv (oct 2010) and had to sit theory test, hazard perception, practical test then i had to do the cpc practical test thing, cant remember module numbers or anything. i didnt think i would need to do anything but practical test but there are lgv and pcv relative questions in the theory tests. the cpc test i think was the same. My pcv one i had to show how to use a ratchet strap for luggage, lgv i had to show how to use chain tensioner. i paid it out my own pocket so i wouldve liked to have saved money not doing tests but alas i now have a certificate anyway!