pcv or hgv ??

Hello! Looking for some advice really, not sure what to do…

I would like to to get my HGV license, but as it’s seems pretty tough to land your first job I was wondering if I should go in for my PCV first. Last year I got a job with Arriva as a trainee driver, well I failed both attempts due to failing to signal turning right on a roundabout and also clipping a kerb, they show’d me the door.
I did an assement drive with a local training company driving their manual coach to see if I could retake my test, and although 8 months had past since my Arriva training, I remembered most things that my Arriva instructor told me and how at ease I felt driving the coach.

Its wagon I wan’t to drive, not really buses. But if I need to find work sharpish there are lots of bus depots near where I live ( Wirral, Merseyside) that can try to find work.

Is it uncommon for people to train up to drive both types of vechicals ?

Sorry for my long post, thanks for any advice in advance.

The two jobs are very different.

PCV means dealing with people and stopping for bus stops unless you are doing laches (unlikely as a new start).

HGV can be a mixed bag. You don’t have to deal with passengers, but there are plenty of snotty gate security to deal with.

It really depends on your character and whether you like dealing with public and having set routes. (terminus to terminus becomes very boring).

I did service work for 3 months (trained by First) and it got so boring. Same people day in day out. Same routes. Same management crap. You need to have a strong character and a ‘yes sir’ attitude to stick at buses. Just my observations.

Go with your heart. You will only regret what you never tried.

pcv service work is crap. if you are going to do it try and do coach work. ive never done a full time job hgv yet so i cant comment. but i wouldnt recommend service work.

Think you’ve answered the question. “HGV”

Finding work can be hard, so I would suggest you do some research before parting with your cash.

Speak to some haulage companies within your area and get a feel of what they are looking for when taking on a driver. Experience can be an advantage, however not all companies have tunnel vision when it comes to new drivers. Offer yourself as a drivers mate for the day to get an idea of what the jobs is.

Being keen and showning an interest will get your remembered. There’s no guarantee, but if you put yourself in the shop window then you will get noticed.

You can tick both boxes when applying for your provisional licence.I would say go for buses initially if a big operator will both train and employ you.This way you get experience of a large vehicle which might make you more attractive to a haulier in due course.You do have to do both sets of practical training though.I dont think that any haulage firm would put you through training this alone makes buses a good starting point.

I looked at both LGV and PCV and decided I didn’t want to pull a load that moaned…so I went for LGV :wink:

Tazbug

I have both hgv and PCB, I hate driving buses.I wouldn’t inflict it on a enemy

alamcculloch:
You can tick both boxes when applying for your provisional licence.I would say go for buses initially if a big operator will both train and employ you.This way you get experience of a large vehicle which might make you more attractive to a haulier in due course.You do have to do both sets of practical training though.I dont think that any haulage firm would put you through training this alone makes buses a good starting point.

having a pcv licence means nothing to nearly every haulier ive spoken too. ive been trying for ages to get an hgv job and to no avail, despite years of driving buses and coaches. i was lucky enough to speak to a local guy who was a bus mechanic and he gave me a shot, but i arsed it up for myself :imp:

I think that it should mean something,tell them that its all multi-drop in the bus game.

mikhat:
Hello! Looking for some advice really, not sure what to do…

I would like to to get my HGV license, but as it’s seems pretty tough to land your first job I was wondering if I should go in for my PCV first. Last year I got a job with Arriva as a trainee driver, well I failed both attempts due to failing to signal turning right on a roundabout and also clipping a kerb, they show’d me the door.
I did an assement drive with a local training company driving their manual coach to see if I could retake my test, and although 8 months had past since my Arriva training, I remembered most things that my Arriva instructor told me and how at ease I felt driving the coach.

Its wagon I wan’t to drive, not really buses. But if I need to find work sharpish there are lots of bus depots near where I live ( Wirral, Merseyside) that can try to find work.

Is it uncommon for people to train up to drive both types of vechicals ?

Sorry for my long post, thanks for any advice in advance.

Just a little more advice, if you do decide on LGV a good training school on the wirral is AJM i done my class 2 with him :wink: