PCV/LGV Conversion Confusion

Good morning, folks.

I’ve been driving buses for the last 17 years and have decided that I could do with a change of career - however I do like driving for a living so I’ve decided to cash in the provisional LGV entitlement that’s been lying dormant on my licence since the mid ‘90s. However, I do have a couple of questions.

Firstly, a former colleague of mine made the jump from buses to lorries a couple of months ago and he was surprised to find that he didn’t have to do a theory and hazard perception test, just a conversion test. Now, I’ve tried searching this conversion test online extensively and found very little about it except that it may be something to do with Mod 2 of the CPC. I did search this forum but could only find something dating back to 2012 so I doubt it would be relevant almost 6 years later. Somebody told me how to book it - go onto DVSA website and start to book a theory test and the option for LGV conversion should be there. He even showed it to me for his license. Except for me, the option isn’t there - just the option for theory and HP. However, looking at my CPC card, which came with acquired rights since I passed my PCV test in 2000, it already has Cat C and CE on the back of it along with Cat D, all valid until September 2019. So my question is do I have to do a full theory and hazard perception test, and LGV conversion test, or just the practical test because I already have CPC for Cat C and CE?

My second question, as I got my provisional PCV & LGV entitlements together when I turned 21 back in 1994 (my intention then was to get my class 1 and have PCV there just in case), which was before you had to pass Cat C before you went on to Cat CE, my licence shows provisional entitlement for both C and CE. Now, a friend and colleague tells me that as I have Cat CE on my provisional entitlement I can go straight to training on artics and skip rigids. I’m not convinced by that and think I still have to pass Cat C first. Am I right?

Apologies for my long winded first post which, essentially, asked two questions, but I’m kinda confused (I know - doesn’t take much!) and appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Steve

The CE provisional on your licence is no longer valid but the C is

To get C you need to pass these modules -
1a - LGV theory
1b - HPT
3 - on road/reverse practical test

You do not need LGV initial tests 2 and 4 as you have LGV acquired/grandfather rights

What I do suggest is doing the LGV C test with a training school that has the practical training approved for DCPC hours so that you can gain some of the next 35 hours for a little extra cost - usually 14 if doing 1 to 1 or 28 if doing 2 to 1

@ROG thanks for the advice - exactly what I expected with the provisional entitlement.