PCV & HGV training advice needed

hi
i went for my 3hr PCV (manual coach) assessment lesson at wallace in wembley, and was told i need at least 28 hours of training minimum, this would be spread over 8 days 4hrs per day and 2 hrs plus test on eight day. and ideal training of 36hrs over 10 days. the minimum cost of training would be £1739 which is more than i wanted to pay (about £1100-1200 max).

how many hours did most people need, and what does anyone recommend for me to do.this would be the same situation as for hgv training as well.

i can either be based in sheffield or london (western part).

i am 18yrs old hence i cannot do C, & C+E, but just waiting until sept 09, in the mean time i might as well do cat D.

many thanks in advance :question:

I know southern prices are higher but that does seem excessive to me but I’m not PCV - I’m sure a PCV instructor will be along soon :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i forgot to mention i read around this forum to get recommendations of good schools, thats why i went to wallace, and i know there expensive etc. but i thought 28 minimum or 36 ideal was a bit to excessive, i would really like to train with them.

when i did my 3hr assessment, for the first 10-15mins the instructor showed me the basics, and then from there i drove continuously until the end. i think for the first 45mins-1hr, i was just getting the feel of the vehical, them we hit the open road and went as far as high wycombe.

Hi 4nk17

I don’t think 28 hours training is excessive at all (though it may be very slightly above average). If you have had a three hour assessment, the instructor has had more than enough time to assess your needs and has made his recommendation based on what he saw.

I don’t know about other instructors/assessors but I base my recommendations on, not only, the candidates driving ability but also on how they respond to tuition.

It is worth remembering that the 28 days recommended is just that, a recommendation I’m sure that if you insisted on a shorter course they would accomodate you.

Good luck.

obi-wan:
Hi 4nk17

I don’t think 28 hours training is excessive at all (though it may be very slightly above average). If you have had a three hour assessment, the instructor has had more than enough time to assess your needs and has made his recommendation based on what he saw.

I don’t know about other instructors/assessors but I base my recommendations on, not only, the candidates driving ability but also on how they respond to tuition.

It is worth remembering that the 28 days recommended is just that, a recommendation I’m sure that if you insisted on a shorter course they would accomodate you.

Good luck.

Hmm… that is definitely excessive :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lol Rog 28 months would not be excessive for some that I (and no doubt you) have seen.

obi-wan:
lol Rog 28 months would not be excessive for some that I (and no doubt you) have seen.

Or YEARS :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Whilst I have no idea what your driving is like, so I cannot comment on your case, I can comment on my own.

I did 4 days 7.45am-3.45pm 2-1 tutition with at most 30 in the morning and a no more than an hour for lunch so 6 1/2 split, which worked out 13 hours + 1 hr before test. (This all depends if you’re waiting for a late partner or smoko breaks. I guess I got in 17 hours on the same 5 days in a cat C because no of us smoked and had slightly shorter breaks and we got a bonus morning on the Friday as we both had afternoon tests and they had a truck and instructor free)

The other fella started the day before me, but had the test on the same day. So he would have done just over 17 hrs himself.

I booked D & CE together, so bartered 1646 down to 1500, so I consider that my D training of 14 hours and test cost me 750 notes.

It all depends on what your drivings like at the start. How did you get on when you did your car test? I think 4 days + test is absolutely minimal, 5 + test better, but maybe 6 if you’re lacking in confidence.

I don’t see the point in much more, your brain will melt and it’s probably better to have a stab at the test and if you’re unlucky and have to pay for a retest plus bus, then it can’t cost any more than what is suggested.

Could you not do a Butler and get a bus company to pay?

If you want your PCV why not apply to a bus company and get paid to do it?

It was a few years ago but I went from car driver (and biker) with NO prev large vehicle experience to PCV, with a 1 hr assessment, 3 days (2 to 1) tuition and an hour before test. Guess I had somewhere in the region 10-12 hrs plus test !

Everyone has differrent experience and confidence levels with new vehicles. Only way to be sure is to have a 2nd assessment with a diff company and make a comparison.

Their estimate for you, on the face of it, would seem a tad excessive !

On the plus side - Wallaces area a good school with good instructors and a good pass rate.
On the minus side, they do charge a little above average and also offer longer courses.
The middle line of looking at it is this. They offer longer courses so you get more training - so they get a higher pass rate - but it costs a lot more.

Swings and roundabouts really.

Try shopping around for other schools and see what they recommend hours wise…
Try ace-lgv.co.uk/
The owner is John King and is very fair. (Mention my name you will get a good seat! - sorry couldnt resist that - coaches - seats :unamused: )

Alternatively try phoning the bus ompanies to see if they are recruiting - they will train you probably on automatic but you can upgrade later.

Hi 4nk17,
I work as a bus driver for First in Somerset and Avon (they were going to call it First in Avon and Somerset Co. until they thought about the acronym! :laughing: ) and know that they are short of drivers in the London area. If you do your training with them you have to sign an indemnity to repay training costs if you leave, but I don’t think it is anything like what you have been quoted to obtain your licence. We have had drivers start here, pass their test and then do everything possible to get the sack, so they don’t have to repay the indemnity. As Mothertrucker said, you may only be trained on an automatic, but if you ask around some depots might still be using manual training vehicles (although when you start to drive them you might regret not choosing autos :laughing: ) Where I am based we still use manual training vehicles (old, time - served coaches), although you do get type training on autos when you pass your test. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just don’t get stuck in the rut as a bus driver, Lorry driving is far more rewarding, both financially and job satisfaction wise, I know, I have done both. I took up bus driving due to a back injury, before the introduction of palletised loads, when handball reigned supreme. Only the lack of any decent lorry firms in my area, without having to trek to Avonmouth/Portbury and who don’t issue you with a stetson and spurs when you start, and a short time to go before retirement keeps me as a bus driver. :frowning: :frowning:

sorry for late reply, just got back to sheffield.

i should have mentioned the full story, i please accept my apologies.

i am not looking for a permanent job in buses, and also if you do go with bus companies they put restrictions etc on you until you pay back the training fee and work for them for a set number of years. i dont want them to ‘control’ my future. and also i have learnt from other situations that its not worth the hassle, its better for you to pay for it and move on rather than being obligated to them.

in my opinion there no point of going for a auto bus when you can get manual coach, it just leaves your options open, less restrictive; unless i do the auto then when i do the class 1 hgv, then it gets automatically upgraded.

the thing is that im in uni, hence the south yorkshire location. but i dont like the working environment, nad the course and i knew that i dont want to be an engineer before i even started but as i did the btec diploma i am restricted to it. but there nothing better to do, so i sticking to it. upon the realisation of the current position, i need to get other skills in case of hard times, so i got something to fall back on, and also i like driving especially in summer evenings. i enjoy it more than uni. im probably not your average student persona type, i grew up fast and matured more than the average 18 year old,so i re-investing some of my loan/grant money in other useful places and skills. so thats a little bit of my background.

specifically to macplaxton, in my car test the first time the only fault was with the rear view mirror, otherwise i would had passed, on the second attempt was in a different location, near brent cross, with the different interchanges, apparently i made someone change lane, when i was indicating to switch lanes and waiting for the other to pass before moving out, and i managed to pass on the third attempt in the same location (greenford, london)where i did my first test. and this was within 6months of me turning 17. basically a year ago from now. after that i went with my father around london with me driving (sprinter MWB) almost everyday in summer for long period of time. its nothing compared to what all you are driving, but you got to start from the bottom and work your way upwards, and also for anyone to have confidence and trust in you to drive a vehical of that size,at that age, after a newly passed driver is non-existent. but it give me confidence and alot of experience.

and for tis-hame, im not use to the shear size of these vehicals, the air brakes and the gearbox arrangement, but when you get use to these then its no problem.

and for kickstart, theres no question whys theres a shortage in london, maybe you should talk to ken, no one would want to work in those appalling conditions and receive abuse. my main goal is to get the hgv licence, but in the process the PCV wouldnt hurt, and also of the age issue, i am valid for PCV but not HGV, so i got to wait 18months until the rules change, and enable me to be eligible the the HGV licence.

if i do work on PCV, it’ll be on coaches or with private bus companies, or if i have to in public transport it’ll would have to be here in sheffield, as no would want to work in the conditions mentioned in london. it it would be part-time/temp workin on either evenings or weekends. and thats the same for the HGV, depending on my situation these will change.

to mothertrucker, i will shop around both around london and south yorkshire, and take couple more assessments to get a comparison, and could you recommend me more training places, as i dont know who the cowboys and professionals are. and when i contact ACE LGV should i ask to speak to john king, and when you say to mention your name, would he recognise mothertrucker or should i give your actual name.

thanks for the advice, sorry about the long reply, and will keep you posted

thanks

anyone heard of 1st class trucking

1stclasstrucking.co.uk/

as i dont know who the cowboys and professionals are. and when i contact ACE LGV should i ask to speak to john king, and when you say to mention your name, would he recognise mothertrucker or should i give your actual name.

Nobody on here would recommend a ‘Cowboy’ Company.

If you ring Jpohn King he will recognise Mothertrucker.

also try 1st class trucking although I am not sure if they have a coach right now.