PCV - CPC

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before ( I did try the search function but found nothing )

I passed my car test in 2005 so had no “acquired rights” when passing my Cat D test. Therefore, I had to do all four modules etc to get my initial CPC qualification. I’m about to embark on my Cat C (just booked my Theory and Hazard perception) and wondered if the CPC covers me for both HGV and PCV ? I have scoured the internet but cant find a definitive answer. I’m assuming that it won’t cover me for both and to be perfectly honest, they are different vehicles so don’t mind doing the tests again. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction ? If it doesn’t, would I then have two DQC cards to cover me for each vehicle ( my DQC currently runs out in 2018 ) or do they have a way of showing each vehicle on one card ?

Cheers guys and gals

Adam

I have both vehicles on one card which expires 2019. Mine were acquired rights though. Only have to do 35 hours to cover both categories.
I’m not sure how it works in your situation.

How is it shown that you have both on one card mate ?

I think I’ve sussed it. I think it just has the different categories on the back, similar to the driving licence.

When you’ve done PCV modules 1, 2, 3 & 4 there is a good chance your new DQC will have aligned expiry dates of 2023 for all categories.

I had acquired rights so when I did all the PCV modules in 2014, my DQC showed cat D as expiring in 2019 but the cat C categories showed as expired on 9/9/14. I then did 35 hours CPC training & received a new DQC & ALL the categories had expiry dates of 2024.

Rgds.

ABB.

You need to pass all these initial dcpc LGV modules for LGV C
1a theory
1b HPT
2 dcpc theory
3 practical road drive/reverse
4 dcpc practical

As your current DQC runs out in 2018, because you did all the initial PCV modules, means you have not yet done all 35 hours periodic hours so if you pass all the initial LGV modules in 2015 before doing all the 35 hours you will get a new DQC with PCV 2018 and LGV 2020

On completing the 35 hours you will get a another new DQC expiry dated 2025 for both LGV & PCV

On completing the 35 hours you will get a another new DQC expiry dated 2025 for both LGV & PCV

Just to quickly explain that point; periodic training (the 35 hours) credits to both vocational licences.

Both categories are shown on the front of the DQC as CE DE

But ROG has explained the process perfectly well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys, your help and explanations are really appreciated. I have booked my Theory and Hazard perception for the 8th of Jan …excited !!

Extra point - if you do all the 35 hours for your PCV BEFORE you do the LGV initial modules then in that case the LGV gets added to the PCV DQC expiry date of 2023 (2018+5) so if you do any periodic training make sure you only do 28 hours before passing LGV module 4 then do the last 7 after passing mod 4 so you get both at 2025 instead of 2023

Its a weird system but that’s how they do it

Adam27:
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before ( I did try the search function but found nothing )

I passed my car test in 2005 so had no “acquired rights” when passing my Cat D test. Therefore, I had to do all four modules etc to get my initial CPC qualification. I’m about to embark on my Cat C (just booked my Theory and Hazard perception) and wondered if the CPC covers me for both HGV and PCV ? I have scoured the internet but cant find a definitive answer. I’m assuming that it won’t cover me for both and to be perfectly honest, they are different vehicles so don’t mind doing the tests again. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction ? If it doesn’t, would I then have two DQC cards to cover me for each vehicle ( my DQC currently runs out in 2018 ) or do they have a way of showing each vehicle on one card ?

Cheers guys and gals

Adam

I was in a similar position to you having gone from buses to lorries. I had the acquired rights for the bus CPC but had to do initial CPC for the LGV licences. On completing module 4, my expiry date for the C/CE category was aligned with my D/DE categories.

:slight_smile:

Merry Xmas everyone.
I have a similar question, I passed my PSV test in August and done my cpc through the bus company, I have my class c licence and want to go back to driving lorries. My cpc card says CE,DE on the front but has C expiry date of 09/09/2014 on back, I’m guessing I have to do 35 hours classroom training again to get cpc for hgv work ?
And if as I suspect this is true is it not a bit of a con to have to go through it again at cost to me.
Ps I have hated every minute of Bus driving and can’t wait to get back to lorry driving.
Finally January and February are normally quiet months but agencies down my way are insisting they are very short of drivers and have lots of work ■■

ruddio:
Merry Xmas everyone.
I have a similar question, I passed my PSV test in August and done my cpc through the bus company, I have my class c licence and want to go back to driving lorries. My cpc card says CE,DE on the front but has C expiry date of 09/09/2014 on back, I’m guessing I have to do 35 hours classroom training again to get cpc for hgv work ?
And if as I suspect this is true is it not a bit of a con to have to go through it again at cost to me.
Ps I have hated every minute of Bus driving and can’t wait to get back to lorry driving.
Finally January and February are normally quiet months but agencies down my way are insisting they are very short of drivers and have lots of work ■■

DQC expiries should have PCV Aug 2019 and LGV Sept 2014 (now expired)
You need 35 hours for LGV

completing 35 hours should give both PCV & LGV expiring on 09/09/2019 because you are already in the periodic system but it would be nice if you could report back here to tell us what did happen …

I will do Rog thank you.
Now to find somewhere to do 35 hours training ASAP so I can get driving again.