PC hacked...

So I happily check my bank account and find that nearly a grand has been taken out by paypal, oh sugar methinks.
Call paypal who say it is an unusual transaction on my account, is it unauthorised?
YES IT IS I reply
It will be investigated and the money returned in about 10 days, they say

Yes, thats fine I think, I can live on nothing for a fortnight - no problem

Call bank who cancel the payment, it will be back in your account tonight…
Hope so…

Two points
I never give away my passwords, which implies that the PC has been hacked… I have BT NetProtect Plus and assumed that this was good enough. Someone had a pretty good idea of how much was in the account…

2nd point.
Payment was made to Angela Yeoman for services.
this is a bit hard to explain to my missus…

Seriously, Protect, scan, and change your password to something really difficult to guess or randomly generate.

Don’t use Paypal…

mkb600:
So I happily check my bank account and find that nearly a grand has been taken out by paypal, oh sugar methinks.
Call paypal who say it is an unusual transaction on my account, is it unauthorised?
YES IT IS I reply
It will be investigated and the money returned in about 10 days, they say

Yes, thats fine I think, I can live on nothing for a fortnight - no problem

Call bank who cancel the payment, it will be back in your account tonight…
Hope so…

Two points
I never give away my passwords, which implies that the PC has been hacked… I have BT NetProtect Plus and assumed that this was good enough. Someone had a pretty good idea of how much was in the account…

2nd point.
Payment was made to Angela Yeoman for services.
this is a bit hard to explain to my missus…

Seriously, Protect, scan, and change your password to something really difficult to guess or randomly generate.

Did you ever reply to an email from “paypal” asking you to log in to your account and check or change your details? this is called a phishing email and it is vey easy to fall for it as it looks legit.
I foolishly did this with my ebay account some years ago, but as soon as i logged in I thought maybe i should check. Called ebay who told me they had not sent me any email, and immeadiately they changed all me account security for me. I was lucky but many are not. NEVER reply to or login to a web site through a link sent to you out of the blue.
If you ever get mail from your bank or ebay/paypal etc, always double check with them and send the details or forward the email to thier fraud protection dept.

Paypal is still safer than just handing over your card details and their resolution system generally works well. Would recommend you have a credit card registered with them rather than a debit card, that way it’s the bank’s money at risk rather than your own.

Also the BT security is based on McAfee which is definitely the worst of the paid-for security programs out there, even if you do get it for free. Kaspersky and Norton would both have warned about possible phishing emails.

I wouldn’t know what it was like to have £1000 in the bank in the first place

Even the construction industry is in the Doldrums. Foster Yeoman are probably needing to fill a hole :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Paypal is quite safe as there are plenty of checks, but you need a separate email address, a separate debit or credit card and a monthly password change to be absolutely safe.

Wheel Nut:
I think Paypal is quite safe as there are plenty of checks, but you need a separate email address, a separate debit or credit card and a monthly password change to be absolutely safe.

Yep, luckily some bloke in Nigeria contacted me in the week and he’s offered to do all that for me for nothing, and he’s even got some dead bank executive’s money that he wants to put into my account.

Harry Monk:

Wheel Nut:

Yep, luckily some bloke in Nigeria contacted me in the week and he’s offered to do all that for me for nothing, and he’s even got some dead bank executive’s money that he wants to put into my account.

That wasn’t my mate Ngaga Mbebe by any chance? :wink:

truckerjon:
That wasn’t my mate Ngaga Mbebe by any chance? :wink:

These Nigerian chappies are normally fine to deal with, although you do have to watch out for imposters.

Before agreeing to hand over your details, it’s always best to ask them for some photographic evidence of their identity, and insist that the photo should be taken in way which you yourself specify, in order to prevent them simply copying a photo from the internet.

Within four hours of my call to Paypal I have an email telling me the case has been resolved in my favour, and my bank has pulled the money back from paypal.

I didn’t have £1000 in my account!!! It went overdrawn (somewhat!!)

PC scanned with 3 different checkers - clear
Paypal say my PP account had some “rather unusual logging in attempts”

Still like to know what “services” I was supposed to have paid for :wink:

Anyway, account now closed and ALL passwords changed

Yes harry, i`ve been introduced to a couple of them myself, but recently the chinese subbie has even tried it on.
I do reply to those e.mails, but telling them that i will forward their details to the internet fraud squad, who will check out their address, and hopefully arrest them and put them where they belong…i dont normally hear from them again, although i could get arrested for racial abuse… :laughing: :laughing:

mkb600:
Within four hours of my call to Paypal I have an email telling me the case has been resolved in my favour, and my bank has pulled the money back from paypal.

and the reason for the second part of this sentence?

why would you want to, or need to change the passwords if you have closed the account? :confused:

truckyboy:
Yes harry, i`ve been introduced to a couple of them myself, but recently the chinese subbie has even tried it on.
I do reply to those e.mails, but telling them that i will forward their details to the internet fraud squad, who will check out their address, and hopefully arrest them and put them where they belong…i dont normally hear from them again, although i could get arrested for racial abuse… :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t think it’s a particularly good idea to reply to spam as it confirms that the email address is still active and used :wink:

why would you want to, or need to change the passwords if you have closed the account?

paranoia :exclamation: :exclamation:

Found it a bit of a shock to see someone could take all my money

Run a full scan of your pc with mallware bytes, remove everything it tells you to. GET RID OF your bt security because it ■■■■■! If you can afford it buy norton, otherwise get avast internet security for free.
It could have been a number of things maybe a keylogger or a rat on your pc, or you may have run a dodgey program.

The other scam that’s catching people at the minute, is a phone call from “Microsoft computer services” or a very similar “official” sounding body, saying that they’ve noticed a problem with your computer and that they’ll talk you through a few steps that you can do to sort it out. They then walk you through a series of changes to the internal programs in the PC, which then does really screw up the computer. You then can’t do anything, it’s now well and truely knackered up, they then tell you that unfortunately they’ll need to send out an engineer but there’s a charge, they will however get one to you very quickly if you pay the charge now with a credit card.
They then take your credit card details saying that the engineer should be with you within 24 hours. You smile and say “thank you” unaware that they then proceed to empty your back account via your card details. Your PC is screwed and will need the software reloading completely, and no engineer will ever arrive because you’ve been scammed!

My son has his own small business repairing PC’s and Laptops, the number of people that fall for this is alarming.
In fact we’ve had the calls ourselves, and I just love playing along with them until they twig that I’m not falling for it, they then get a little abusive, but they’re outclassed with that as well!

PS, Don’t get Norton, it’s one of the first that the hackers go for. Avast is good, and you only need the free version.

I have done a couple of computers recently that have the Virus Checker window pop up, as soon as someone clicks on close, it activates it and asks you for your credit card to clear the window. I know several gullible people who have done it, so if they are that gullible, they can give me £50 too :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I have done a couple of computers recently that have the Virus Checker window pop up, as soon as someone clicks on close, it activates it and asks you for your credit card to clear the window. I know several gullible people who have done it, so if they are that gullible, they can give me £50 too :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 :smiley:

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free security app. Works well at home, not had any issues since I installed it on kids and wifes laptops.

Colingl:
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free security app. Works well at home, not had any issues since I installed it on kids and wifes laptops.

I agree, I downloaded a Rar file yesterday and scanned it with MS Security Essentials which reported a virus, so without doing anything with the file I scanned it with Comodo Anti-virus which reported it clean :open_mouth:

When I looked inside the Rar file sure enough there was only a .exe file which wasn’t what was supposed to be there and was almost certainly a virus, 1 up for MS Security Essentials :smiley:

scania730lover:

mkb600:

and the reason for the second part of this sentence?

why would you want to, or need to change the passwords if you have closed the account? :confused:

What’s with the attitude chap? Or it comes across as such to me but if I’m mistaken then apologies.