PC and driving tests

Okay here is one I would like an answer to!

Come Sept 10th when DCPC will be in force what happens to drivers going through their C test if they are of the older variety currently with grandfathers rights?

Here is the scenario, 2 guys doing there C test. Driver 1 is young so doesn’t have grandfather rights so still has to do parts 2 and 4 to be legal to drive for hire or reward. Parts 2 and 4 will cost him about £100 and 2 hours of his\her time

Driver 2, an older guy who has never used his C1 license , could have been a chef etc who wants a change of life, so has never done any CPC. Does this poor fellow after passing his practical driving test then have to sit a 5 day 35hrs CPC course at some £400 to be legal to drive or will he post 10th Sept be able to do parts 2 and 4 like driver 1?

If driver 2 has to do 35hrs CPC at some £400 that is a huge barrier to new drivers entering the industry and you have to ask where will he get a 5 day course?

It also seems incredably unfair if they are treated differently?

Does any one know what will happen?

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, I’ve been whinging about that too, being an “older bloke”. It’s annoying.

I am fully expecting them to do what they have done with Cat D, and basically let “older blokes” have a choice between mods 2 and 4 or 35 hours. But at the moment I don’t think they have stated that this will happen?

Driver 2 must do the 35 hours but he does not have to wait because he has a C1 then he can do them well before going for C

I suspect this may change as the PCV did for those with D1 101 code entitlement - they now have the choice of doing either the 2 initial modules or the 35 hours

You did answer this before for me Rog but I got conflicting reports from training schools. I got the old D1 101 and have done my periodical 35 hours for my CE…do I need to do any more CPC to go for my D coach licence?

BillyMac:
You did answer this before for me Rog but I got conflicting reports from training schools. I got the old D1 101 and have done my periodical 35 hours for my CE…do I need to do any more CPC to go for my D coach licence?

No - no initial or periodic dcpc for D in your case

Pass D and you will get PCV added to your current DQC with the same expiry date of 09/09/2019
You will also get D+E automatically added to your driving licence but DVLA sometimes forget to add that so call them if they do

gov.uk/driver-certificate-o … red-rights

Who has ‘acquired rights’

You’ll have ‘acquired rights’ if you’re a:
lorry driver and got your vocational licence (C, C1, C+E and C1+E) before 10 September 2009
bus or coach driver and got your vocational licence (D, D1, D+E and D1+E) before 10 September 2008 - this includes a restricted vocational licence D(101) issued after 1991 and D1(101) issued before 1997 (though you should by now have completed periodic training)

Yes In a word . I passed my car test July 4th '96 so just scraped in on the grandfathers rights , passed my class 2 June this year and have just finished my cpc , on the upside start class 1 in a couple of weeks :sunglasses:

Thanks again Rog the Oracle. So when I post my D pass certificate off with my licence (when/if I pass) do I send the CPC card in the envelope too? The training schools round here really are mixed up…perhaps you could be a freelance consultant!

BillyMac:
Thanks again Rog the Oracle. So when I post my D pass certificate off with my licence (when/if I pass) do I send the CPC card in the envelope too? The training schools round here really are mixed up…perhaps you could be a freelance consultant!

It’s law to carry the DQC card so I would think it would be the case of requesting an updated card as theoretically you shouldn’t be driving without it.

Own Account Driver:

BillyMac:

It’s law to carry the DQC card so I would think it would be the case of requesting an updated card as theoretically you shouldn’t be driving without it.

The new DQC should be sorted automatically by DVLA when they receive the pass information
Do not send them your current DQC
If no new DQC arrives within 20 days then contact them