paying to park

I have no problem with paying to park if i need to but the company that i work for stops the meal allowance out of it so if you pay £14-00 to park and get a £3-00 meal ticket we only get £11-00 back not a problem but the other day i parked up at 20-45 paid £18-90 to park got a £5-00 meal ticket and £1-00 breakfast ticket but because of the time i didn’t eat and i had left early so did not use the breakfast ticket either so when i claimed the parking fee back i only got back £12-90 so cost me £6-00 out of my own money to park the company vehicle my question is are they allowed to do this legally

fez:
are they allowed to do this legally

If your contract says so or you agreed to this - yes it is legal
As this has also been the ‘usual practise’ in the past then that would also be deemed as the legal norm

fez:
my question is are they allowed to do this legally

Generally not only are they allowed to do it legally, they have to or face problems with HMR&C. Ignore ROG, it’s nothing to do with any agreements in your contract, your contract doesn’t come into it as night out money is not part of your wages so the unlawful deduction from wages thing doesn’t apply in this case. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s all to do with the tax man. You get paid a night out allowance which the revenue allow to be paid tax free, to cover personal expenses incurred in relation to your employment, such as meals, showers, upkeep of bedding etc. They pay you this tax free allowance and if you use part of it to pay a non personal expense such as parking the company vehicle they rightly refund that to you. If however they also refunded the meal voucher they would be paying you this money twice and that would likely take you over the amount you are allowed to be paid without being taxed.

For example you receive £23 night out money, that’s roughly the tax free amount for sleeper cabs at the moment, and pay £15 to park with a £5 meal voucher. The company refund the £10 parking and with the £5voucher and the £8 left over you have the £23 allowed. If they refunded the full £15 and you add that to the £5 voucher and the £8 left over you would have £28, £5 over the tax free limit.

However in this case I would think if you handed the unused vouchers into your employer so they could produce them to HMR&C if required they should refund the full amount because you have in effect paid £18.90 to park and not made any gain out of it. Put that to them and see what they say. If you no longer have the unused vouchers you can’t really do much other than chalk it down to experience.

Thanks for a quick reply
they still won’t refund for meals not eaten even if you hand the tickets in but they still claim the total amount back from the tax man as it stated on the reciept £18-90 parking nothing about meal allowance they phone the place of parking to check if there is an allowance for meals before refunding the difference.we know this as fact as we have been told that they have been on the phone checking if an what meal allowance the places we park are giving.surely them not paying us the full amount back we are subsidiceing there parking bill. and to top that we have just lost £17-50 a week of our wages.

fez:
they still won’t refund for meals not eaten even if you hand the tickets in but they still claim the total amount back from the tax man as it stated on the reciept £18-90 parking nothing about meal allowance they phone the place of parking to check if there is an allowance for meals before refunding the difference.we know this as fact as we have been told that they have been on the phone checking if an what meal allowance they are giving.

Suggest they may want to reconsider or you might have to contact the tax-man for advice. Just a thought. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Suggest they may want to reconsider or you might have to contact the tax-man for advice. Just a thought. :wink:

I totally agree, and I’ve just been through it - successfully :wink:

Unless . . . . . . . . . .

There was an option to pay for parking without the meal voucher ‘element’

For example, most MSAs have £20 with or £18 without the meal voucher.

Sadly, with MOTO, and others, the ticketing system has change with the introduction of ANPR generated parking charges so we no longer have the option of putting in the “Parking Receipt” having torn off the meal voucher but have to now submit the till receipt which shows the meal voucher.