Paying them to pay me?

Hello again.

Just registered with my first agency. Whoop whoop.

But while I was talking to their payroll team on the phone they told me the paye scheme they use means that I get a percentage of vat back, but i have to pay for the service, £10 if I work less than 30 hrs a week and £30 if I work over 30 hours a week.

I have never heard of anything like this, is this a normal thing with agencies? And does anyone know the percentage of vat I get back?

Your not paye you’ll be on an umbrella scheme of some sort if they’d can reclaim some vat for you.

Hinton:
Hello again.

Just registered with my first agency. Whoop whoop.

But while I was talking to their payroll team on the phone they told me the paye scheme they use means that I get a percentage of vat back, but i have to pay for the service, £10 if I work less than 30 hrs a week and £30 if I work over 30 hours a week.

I have never heard of anything like this, is this a normal thing with agencies? And does anyone know the percentage of vat I get back?

It’s a con your not PAYE in the sense of employed by the agency. You would be better going Ltd company .
The sooner these robbing companies go out of business the better , also by being Ltd co you in a better place to approach the slightly smaller company’s to offer your services as a temp driver.

I registered with one and it was self employed. Told me it works out better and i get a higher rate of pay and they pay my tax etc!! Didnt tell me it was self employed until after i registered! :open_mouth:

Wasnt sure if they thought i still believed in Santa Claus also! Lying bassas!

Safe to say i didnt do any work for them. Gotta love the old call blocker :laughing:

That sounds expensive to me, I have been on 3 different pay schemes over the last 8 months, the two Umbrella schemes I have been on charged me between £16.50 and £18.50 per week, one was a fixed rate the other scaled depending on earnings, the third pay scheme was an odd PAYE via Umbrella set up, I was paid PAYE but given the option of claiming expenses with the maximum fee for doing so being £15. I am now full time but the new legislation that came in April of this year restricting expense claims for temporary workers would worry me if I was still using an Umbrella scheme, from my understanding in order to qualify for expenses you now have to fall within a certain criteria such as not being ‘managed’ whilst at work, I have had conversations with the Umbrella schemes regarding this and they seem to be using there own interpretation of these rules which might not necessarily match that of the tax man, personally I would avoid them all together or at least until the rules have been clarified.

You can find & use your own umbrella company if you wish & can use that 1 for all the agencies or anyone else you work for

animal:
You can find & use your own umbrella company if you wish & can use that 1 for all the agencies or anyone else you work for

It must be different in my area as the agencies I have used will only operate through their own preferred Umbrella scheme - I figure it’s because they are given a cash reward for introducing drivers to them.

MickyB666:

animal:

It must be different in my area as the agencies I have used will only operate through their own preferred Umbrella scheme - I figure it’s because they are given a cash reward for introducing drivers to them.

They prefer that but you don’t have to it is your choise

The enhanced rate for going on these scams is only £1 per hour usually is it really worth it not usually

animal:

MickyB666:

animal:

They prefer that but you don’t have to it is your choise

Which usually translates to ‘use our scheme or don’t get any work’

Micky is right about the changes as of April 2016. No more claiming 45p for mileage.

That’s why as of tomorrow I am back full time. I could just about stomach the umbrella company charging me £30 per week, as long as I was getting it back in mileage and meal allowance, but now that’s been stopped so has my limping.

The government are closing every loophole possible, slowly but surely.

I’ve always claimed fuel I put in the tank came off mileage a while back

eagerbeaver:
Micky is right about the changes as of April 2016. No more claiming 45p for mileage.

That’s why as of tomorrow I am back full time. I could just about stomach the umbrella company charging me £30 per week, as long as I was getting it back in mileage and meal allowance, but now that’s been stopped so has my limping.

The government are closing every loophole possible, slowly but surely.

And rightly so as it was a tax dodge. Although one I benefitted from.

I’ve also gone back to PAYe and cut down to 2 days a week from 3 which puts me just under the tax bracket.